Old 06-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Onkar Mahajan

Default Fedora 12/13 unexpected shut down Please help !!!

I am doing kernel compilation on fedora 13
like this

$ make -j2 bzImage modules

Strangely, FC12 & FC13 running on AMD x86_64 machine
happen to halts uncleanly (as if power goes off ) in the midst

of compilation process.

I have been using this machine for compilation for over 2 years on
other distros such as debain, Suse, but such problem has never occured.

Is anybody familiar of such thing happening* in FC12/13 distros.

any configuration missing ??

or bug ?

Regards,
Onkar

PS :

on i386 machine - FC13 performs normally. but FC12 exhibits

this kind of problematic behavior.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Chris Kloiber

2 years huh? Get some canned air, and blow the dust out of the
heat-sinks. Kernel compiles can get toasty.

--
Chris Kloiber

I am doing kernel compilation on fedora 13
like this

$ make -j2 bzImage modules

Strangely, FC12 & FC13 running on AMD x86_64 machine
happen to halts uncleanly (as if power goes off ) in the midst
of compilation process.

I have been using this machine for compilation for over 2 years on
other distros such as debain, Suse, but such problem has never occured.

Is anybody familiar of such thing happeningļæ½ in FC12/13 distros.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 15:48 +0530, Onkar Mahajan wrote:
> I am doing kernel compilation on fedora 13
> like this
>
> $ make -j2 bzImage modules
>
> Strangely, FC12 & FC13 running on AMD x86_64 machine
> happen to halts uncleanly (as if power goes off ) in the midst
> of compilation process.
>
> I have been using this machine for compilation for over 2 years on
> other distros such as debain, Suse, but such problem has never
> occured.
>
> Is anybody familiar of such thing happening in FC12/13 distros.
>
> any configuration missing ??
>
> or bug ?
>
> Regards,
> Onkar
>
> PS :
>
> on i386 machine - FC13 performs normally. but FC12 exhibits
> this kind of problematic behavior.

I've got F12 and F13 with uptime measured in months.
I doubt that this is a distro issue.

Have you configured lm_sensors to monitor the CPU, memory and case
temperature? Have you checked the fans (both case and CPU) for dust?
Sound like your machine is either overheating or your power supply is
about to die.
P.S. It is a server? a desktop? Can you post your hardware
configuration?

- Gilboa