Old 06-29-2010, 02:24 AM
Richard Shaw

Default HD Home move editor

My new camera takes 720p clips (AVCHD) and I wanted to do a little
editing, but after installing Kino which I've used in the past, I
found it downgraded it to 480p DV video. Are that any full video
editors that handle HD movies correctly?

Thanks,
Richard

Old 06-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:24:56 -0500
Richard Shaw wrote:

> Are that any full video
> editors that handle HD movies correctly?

If you have an infinite amount of disk space and patience
you can convert pretty much anything to a lossless
hufyuv avi file with mencoder, then use avidemux on
it and encode the edited result in any of the formats
avidemux supports.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:56 AM
Richard Shaw

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:24:56 -0500
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> Are that any full video
>> editors that handle HD movies correctly?
>
> If you have an infinite amount of disk space and patience
> you can convert pretty much anything to a lossless
> hufyuv avi file with mencoder, then use avidemux on
> it and encode the edited result in any of the formats
> avidemux supports.

Yeah, I already use it for some simple splitting, splicing and the
such. I'm looking for a full featured editor with transitions, text
effects, etc

Old 06-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Phil Meyer

On 06/28/2010 08:24 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> My new camera takes 720p clips (AVCHD) and I wanted to do a little
> editing, but after installing Kino which I've used in the past, I
> found it downgraded it to 480p DV video. Are that any full video
> editors that handle HD movies correctly?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

I hate to bring it up, but if you have a PS3, the latest update brings
some decent video editing and sharing capabilities. Just saying ...

Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Monday 28 June 2010 07:56 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Tom Horsley<horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:24:56 -0500
>> Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>>> Are that any full video
>>> editors that handle HD movies correctly?
>>
>> If you have an infinite amount of disk space and patience
>> you can convert pretty much anything to a lossless
>> hufyuv avi file with mencoder, then use avidemux on
>> it and encode the edited result in any of the formats
>> avidemux supports.
>
> Yeah, I already use it for some simple splitting, splicing and the
> such. I'm looking for a full featured editor with transitions, text
> effects, etc

how about kdenlive?

--
Suvayu

Old 07-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Bill Davidsen

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:24:56 -0500
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> Are that any full video
>> editors that handle HD movies correctly?
>
> If you have an infinite amount of disk space and patience
> you can convert pretty much anything to a lossless
> hufyuv avi file with mencoder, then use avidemux on
> it and encode the edited result in any of the formats
> avidemux supports.

What is hufyuv? Is that another name for yuv422p? Or another format completely?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 07-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 14:07:27 -0400
Bill Davidsen wrote:

> What is hufyuv? Is that another name for yuv422p? Or another format completely?

Well, I have no idea what yuv422p is, so I couldn't say :-).

Hufyuv is what I call the result of running mencoder with:

mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts format=422p:vcodec=huffyuv
-o <outfile>.avi <infile>.avi

It is large, but not as large as uncompressed video, and it
is a lossless compression.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Bill Davidsen

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 14:07:27 -0400
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> What is hufyuv? Is that another name for yuv422p? Or another format completely?
>
> Well, I have no idea what yuv422p is, so I couldn't say :-).
>
> Hufyuv is what I call the result of running mencoder with:
>
> mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts format=422p:vcodec=huffyuv
> -o <outfile>.avi <infile>.avi
>
> It is large, but not as large as uncompressed video, and it
> is a lossless compression.

Thanks, I knew it as ffvhuff, the name you see when "ffmpeg -codecs" is used.
Grep didn't match it spelled with a single f.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>