Old 06-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Joel Rees

Default Fedora 12 end-of-life and rolling our own Fedoras ( Fedora 11 End of Life)

> On 06/28/2010 02:38 PM, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com
>> <mailto:joel.rees@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I suppose eol includes the PPC distro?
>>
>> which means I'm going to have to either start learning how to
>> roll my
>> own Fedora now, or start getting ready to switch back to
>> openBSD on
>> my PPC machines.
>>

>> Instead of abandoning Linux, have you considered keeping your life
>> simple by using a Linux distribution with PPC support? Debian[1] has
>> supported PPC[2] for years.

Not talking about abandoning Linux or even Fedora. For the present,
my AMD box runs mostly Fedora. It runs a BSD every now and then, too,
depending on what I need or whether I have time to play around.

>> This isn't an advocacy post, I'm simply pointing out that there are
>> Linux based alternatives to the issue you're facing.

Yeah. But Fedora was the most up-to-date.

I suppose I don't have to the latest-greatest kernel to keep Firefox
updated with whatever security patches are necessary. And I suppose I
can learn to back-port the important OS security patches. But
avoiding all the build-and-tweak churn is most of the reason I
switched to Fedora from openBSD. (Mostly tweak on openBSD. Build is
not such a problem, but you always have to go hunting for the stuff
that goes in /etc for non-"standard" CPUs, keyboards, etc.)

I'm just trying to figure out how to have a portable that I can
safely surf the net with. I'm gold for six months, and I don't think
there will be any sudden serious problems with Firefox a month after
F14 is released. Keeping Firefox and Sylpheed up to date by direct
download (instead of through the Fedora packages) after that should
be possible for a little while, so I should have a year to keep using
F12 on this iBook, plus or minus.

By then, maybe I'll be able to afford an ARM-based lightweight, and
maybe somebody will actually be selling such things by then.

On Jun 28, 2010, at 11:47 PM, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:

> Give YDL[1] (Yellow Dog Linux) a try, it's basted on RHEL/CentOS
> (which
> are Fedora-based)
>
> [1] http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/
>
> HTH

Thanks for the thought. YDL seems to be rather behind the times at
this point, and it doesn't look like they intend to pick up the slack
now that they don't have to compete with Fedora. (Looking around in
the downloads, the installs are all a year old, and the updates don't
show anything since last September.)

Seems really odd to me that everyone seems to be abandoning PPC at
the same time. If it means they're putting resources into the ARM
stuff, that would be good.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

Joel Rees

Old 06-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Joel Rees

On Jun 29, 2010, at 12:29 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On 06/28/2010 09:38 AM, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com
>> <mailto:joel.rees@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I suppose eol includes the PPC distro?
>>
>> which means I'm going to have to either start learning how to
>> roll my
>> own Fedora now, or start getting ready to switch back to
>> openBSD on
>> my PPC machines.
>>

>> Instead of abandoning Linux, have you considered keeping your life
>> simple by using a Linux distribution with PPC support? Debian[1] has
>> supported PPC[2] for years.
>>
>> This isn't an advocacy post, I'm simply pointing out that there are
>> Linux based alternatives to the issue you're facing.
>>
>> [1] http://www.debian.org/
>> [2] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/
>

> Perhaps it would be better to advocate the Fedora secondary arch for
> PowerPC instead: http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-ppc

Woops. That's not the secondary arch pages. Still points us to F12,
which I suppose it should.

It would be nice if that page contained a warning about EOL. Should/
could I volunteer to edit the page?

> It's no longer a primary architecture, so its releases tend to lag
> behind, but it's still probably what Joel was actually looking for.

What I was looking for was, well, I just saw it a minute ago. It
wasn't this page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs#Secondary_Arches

That still doesn't show the PPC secondary arch. (More things to
edit.) Here it is:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures#Secondary_Architectures

I don't remember how I found that page.

But, if I take that link,

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/PowerPC

just tells me how to install from an install disc. Has a note about
the installer for Fedora 9 having an error. And there's information
in there about /etc/xorg.conf, which, of course, hasn't existed since
at least F11.

(Stupid changes to the X11 configuration, drive me nuts trying to
figure out what to tweak where, and the "new" alternative to the Mac-
style ctrl-click for context menus seems to be a really funky
combination of select-and-try-to-beat-the-auto-click-while-you-try-to-
hit-shift-F10 or something like that. Crude, clumsy, and it doesn't
work where you need it the most. Sorry. I didn't want to file a bug
until I found out what the proper set-up was supposed to be, but I
never could find the proper set-up.)

So, is the PPC SIG like defunct or something?

Really hard to find any information at all on the PPC stuff any more.

Hmm. Going back and re-reading the architectures page, I see there is
a generic list for secondary archs. I'll check it out.

Heh. Yeah. That's a list that won't take a lot of time to read
either. Maybe I can find some people to contact through it, though,
there seem to be some threads on the subject back in March and
September.

ERk. I don't see PPC at

http://secondary.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/development/

either. Sigh.