Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Bill Davidsen

Default Getting FC13 to use VESA mode for Intel video

A few weeks ago I upgraded a machine from fc9 to fc13, figuring that the
KVM would be better, security would be way better, etc. But it turns out
that the display, which insists on operating using the "interdrmfb"
driver, and it is just bearable for simple admin using either xterm or
gnome-terminal, and utterly useless for connecting to the VMs running.
It's like watching sand painting, literally minutes go by before the
screen finishes updating.

Since this has been around since fc9 was the new puppy in the litter,
and has worked fine using vesa mode since then, I want to scrap this
garbage driver which will do 3D wobbly windows or whatever, and go back
to writing pixels on the screen.

Tried nomodeset, tried using vga=0x318, tried video=vesafb, dried
setting the X driver to vesa, and it insists on using inteldrmfb. We
finally tried renaming the driver or blacklisting it, and then we get a
boot without console.

Is there some way to get this working, or is a fallback to fc9 the
easiest solution until the regressions are fixed? If I don't find a
solution by Friday I spend my three day weekend working in a building
with the a/c off while I roll the o/s back. By edict hardware will not
change for 53 weeks, change of video is not happening and dammit
shouldn't be needed.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
"We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we