Old 06-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Mike Wright

Default toolbar weather applet

Hi all,

Trying desperately not to rant but am very frustrated by this.

I made the mistake of adding the Weather applet to a toolbar and now I
can't turn it off (tcpdump shows it phoning home).

Right click the applet and unclick Update. No go. Updates anyway. OK.
Remove applet from toolbar. No go. Updates anyway.

OK. Logout/Login. Still insists on updating.

I never reboot. OK, reboot. Still calling home to NOAA. What???

Can't figure out the name of the program that the applet calls so I
can't manually destroy the pestilence. This apparently is not something
considered worth noting in the Help/About links and is certainly not
available from the Add to Panel function.

Where is it registered and how in the !#@$ do I kill it?

Second question is how do we learn the names of the programs that are
invoked by these applets? If I can't learn the name how do I yum
update/remove short of rm -rf /?

This is with Weather Report 2.24.3.1 (/usr/bin/you'll never find me,
Copper on f10.

Bug, idiot, both? (cheap shot accepted)

Sign this wasted way too many hours,
Mike Wright

Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Natxo Asenjo

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Trying desperately not to rant but am very frustrated by this.
>
> I made the mistake of adding the Weather applet to a toolbar and now I
> can't turn it off (tcpdump shows it phoning home).
>
> Right click the applet and unclick Update. *No go. *Updates anyway. *OK.
> *Remove applet from toolbar. *No go. *Updates anyway.

and if you remove the applet from the 'startup applications'? (system
-> preferences -> startup applications)

--
natxo

Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Dale Dellutri

[...]

I think that this is part of the gnome-applets rpm, specifically, gweather.

I'm not sure what the executable name is, but it must be something
with gweather or GWeather in the name.* Perhaps it's

* /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2

Also,

* find / -iname *gweather*

should find all of its files.

--
Dale Dellutri

Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Mike Wright

Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Trying desperately not to rant but am very frustrated by this.
>>
>> I made the mistake of adding the Weather applet to a toolbar and now I
>> can't turn it off (tcpdump shows it phoning home).
>>
>> Right click the applet and unclick Update. No go. Updates anyway. OK.
>> Remove applet from toolbar. No go. Updates anyway.
>
> and if you remove the applet from the 'startup applications'? (system
> -> preferences -> startup applications)

Thanks, Natxo.

I don't have a startup option under preferences and looked all through
the offered menus without finding it. ???

By the way, you have a very interesting name.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Steven Stern

On 06/28/2010 01:10 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Trying desperately not to rant but am very frustrated by this.
>
> I made the mistake of adding the Weather applet to a toolbar and now I
> can't turn it off (tcpdump shows it phoning home).
>
> Right click the applet and unclick Update. No go. Updates anyway. OK.
> Remove applet from toolbar. No go. Updates anyway.
>
> OK. Logout/Login. Still insists on updating.
>
> I never reboot. OK, reboot. Still calling home to NOAA. What???
>
> Can't figure out the name of the program that the applet calls so I
> can't manually destroy the pestilence. This apparently is not something
> considered worth noting in the Help/About links and is certainly not
> available from the Add to Panel function.
>
> Where is it registered and how in the !#@$ do I kill it?
>
> Second question is how do we learn the names of the programs that are
> invoked by these applets? If I can't learn the name how do I yum
> update/remove short of rm -rf /?
>
> This is with Weather Report 2.24.3.1 (/usr/bin/you'll never find me,
> Copper on f10.
>
> Bug, idiot, both? (cheap shot accepted)
>
> Sign this wasted way too many hours,
> Mike Wright

Right clicking and selecting "remove from panel" works for me.

$ ps -ef |grep weather
sdstern 2220 1 0 Jun27 ? 00:00:00
/usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_GWeatherApplet_Factory --oaf-ior-fd=30

$ yum provides "*/gweather-applet-2"
1:gnome-applets-2.30.0-1.fc13.i686 : Small applications for the GNOME panel
Repo : installed
Matched from:
Filename : /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2

Applets are controlled from ~/.gconf/apps/panel/applets/

With Gnome closed, you should be able to remove the controlling
subdirectory if "remove from panel" fails.

What's so horrible about it contacting NOAA? How else is it supposed to
get the weather?

--
-- Steve

Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Mike Wright

Steven Stern wrote:
> On 06/28/2010 01:10 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Trying desperately not to rant but am very frustrated by this.
>>
>> I made the mistake of adding the Weather applet to a toolbar and now I
>> can't turn it off (tcpdump shows it phoning home).
>>
>> Right click the applet and unclick Update. No go. Updates anyway. OK.
>> Remove applet from toolbar. No go. Updates anyway.
>>
>> OK. Logout/Login. Still insists on updating.
>>
>> I never reboot. OK, reboot. Still calling home to NOAA. What???
>>
>> Can't figure out the name of the program that the applet calls so I
>> can't manually destroy the pestilence. This apparently is not something
>> considered worth noting in the Help/About links and is certainly not
>> available from the Add to Panel function.
>>
>> Where is it registered and how in the !#@$ do I kill it?
>>
>> Second question is how do we learn the names of the programs that are
>> invoked by these applets? If I can't learn the name how do I yum
>> update/remove short of rm -rf /?
>>
>> This is with Weather Report 2.24.3.1 (/usr/bin/you'll never find me,
>> Copper on f10.
>>
>> Bug, idiot, both? (cheap shot accepted)
>>
>> Sign this wasted way too many hours,
>> Mike Wright
>
> Right clicking and selecting "remove from panel" works for me.
>
> $ ps -ef |grep weather
> sdstern 2220 1 0 Jun27 ? 00:00:00
> /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2
> --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_GWeatherApplet_Factory --oaf-ior-fd=30
>
> $ yum provides "*/gweather-applet-2"
> 1:gnome-applets-2.30.0-1.fc13.i686 : Small applications for the GNOME panel
> Repo : installed
> Matched from:
> Filename : /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2
>
> Applets are controlled from ~/.gconf/apps/panel/applets/
>
> With Gnome closed, you should be able to remove the controlling
> subdirectory if "remove from panel" fails.

Hate to be a gnub in that case ;D

> What's so horrible about it contacting NOAA? How else is it supposed to
> get the weather?

I was traffic tracing on a private network. Needed to eliminate
everything. That's how I found that the app (with your invaluable
assistance) while indeed being removed from the panel was not being
destroyed i.e. removed from .gconf/apps/panel/applets (definite bug and
NOT fedora's).

Thanx

Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Natxo Asenjo

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:

> I don't have a startup option under preferences and looked all through
> the offered menus without finding it. *???

mm, I see now you use fedora 10, right? Do you have something related
to 'sessions' in system -> preferences? like 'session manager' or
something like that. I vaguely remember that it had another name, but
it should do the same, it starts things up when you login. The cli for
it is 'gnome-session-properties' in f13, I suppose it will be the same
in f10.

> By the way, you have a very interesting name.

I'll take that as a compliment

--
natxo

Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Steven Stern

On 06/28/2010 02:38 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> Steven Stern wrote:
>> On 06/28/2010 01:10 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Trying desperately not to rant but am very frustrated by this.
>>>
>>> I made the mistake of adding the Weather applet to a toolbar and now I
>>> can't turn it off (tcpdump shows it phoning home).
>>>
>>> Right click the applet and unclick Update. No go. Updates anyway. OK.
>>> Remove applet from toolbar. No go. Updates anyway.
>>>
>>> OK. Logout/Login. Still insists on updating.
>>>
>>> I never reboot. OK, reboot. Still calling home to NOAA. What???
>>>
>>> Can't figure out the name of the program that the applet calls so I
>>> can't manually destroy the pestilence. This apparently is not something
>>> considered worth noting in the Help/About links and is certainly not
>>> available from the Add to Panel function.
>>>
>>> Where is it registered and how in the !#@$ do I kill it?
>>>
>>> Second question is how do we learn the names of the programs that are
>>> invoked by these applets? If I can't learn the name how do I yum
>>> update/remove short of rm -rf /?
>>>
>>> This is with Weather Report 2.24.3.1 (/usr/bin/you'll never find me,
>>> Copper on f10.
>>>
>>> Bug, idiot, both? (cheap shot accepted)
>>>
>>> Sign this wasted way too many hours,
>>> Mike Wright
>>
>> Right clicking and selecting "remove from panel" works for me.
>>
>> $ ps -ef |grep weather
>> sdstern 2220 1 0 Jun27 ? 00:00:00
>> /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2
>> --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_GWeatherApplet_Factory --oaf-ior-fd=30
>>
>> $ yum provides "*/gweather-applet-2"
>> 1:gnome-applets-2.30.0-1.fc13.i686 : Small applications for the GNOME panel
>> Repo : installed
>> Matched from:
>> Filename : /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2
>>
>> Applets are controlled from ~/.gconf/apps/panel/applets/
>>
>> With Gnome closed, you should be able to remove the controlling
>> subdirectory if "remove from panel" fails.
>
> Hate to be a gnub in that case ;D
>

>> What's so horrible about it contacting NOAA? How else is it supposed to
>> get the weather?
>
> I was traffic tracing on a private network. Needed to eliminate
> everything. That's how I found that the app (with your invaluable
> assistance) while indeed being removed from the panel was not being
> destroyed i.e. removed from .gconf/apps/panel/applets (definite bug and
> NOT fedora's).
>

> Thanx

By the way, the clock applet also looks for weather if that feature is
enabled. Right click on the clock and select Preferences. Make sure
"show weather" and "show temperature" are unchecked.

--
-- Steve