Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Hoang Le

Default Fedora 13 live-cd doesn't boot on HP 6930p

Dear friends,
I've just tried to install fedora 13 on my HP 6930p, but it just didn't boot. The live cd was read but nothing happen. Then I tried with Ubuntu live-cd and it worked perfectly. Can anybody please help me?
Thank you.Best regards,Hoang

Old 06-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On 06/28/2010 02:03 PM, Hoang Le wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I've just tried to install fedora 13 on my HP 6930p, but it just didn't
> boot. The live cd was read but nothing happen. Then I tried with Ubuntu
> live-cd and it worked perfectly. Can anybody please help me?

More information needed. How far did it get? Did you see the GRUB
bootloader?

--
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Hoang Le

It hang right at the first screen which has HP and Intel logos, and a line "Press ESC for Startup Menu" similar to this
http://pickledpc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/hp_splash1.jpg

Old 06-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On 06/28/2010 02:51 PM, Hoang Le wrote:
> It hang right at the first screen which has HP and Intel logos, and a
> line "Press ESC for Startup Menu" similar to this
>
> http://pickledpc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/hp_splash1.jpg

That suggests to me that it was a bad burn of the CD, perhaps bad media.
If you have a 1GB or larger USB drive around, you might want to try
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo (This way you don't
have to waste another CD trying to reburn it)

I've noticed that if I burn a Fedora (or any other distro) CD at full
speed, about 25% of the time I end up with a disk that won't boot.
Dropping the burn speed to half of the maximum usually fixes that.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Hoang Le

It's a good USB drive. I've never tried it out anyway.
I'm not sure it was not a bad burn. I tried several rewritable CDs with several burns and were even successfully verified after burning. Something I notice was that my rewritable CDs rarely got a bad burn.

I'm gonna try with my USB drive now.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:03 AM
Hoang Le

I've done installing fedora 13, using usb drive. I think the problem was with my cd drive or CDs.

Thank you a lot for your great support

Old 06-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 11:24 +0800, Hoang Le wrote:
> I've noticed that if I burn a Fedora (or any other distro) CD at full
> speed, about 25% of the time I end up with a disk that won't boot.
> Dropping the burn speed to half of the maximum usually fixes that.

That usually indicates, bad drive, bad discs, or just a bad combination
of particular discs in your drive.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Brett

> I've noticed that if I burn a Fedora (or any other distro) CD at full
> speed, about 25% of the time I end up with a disk that won't boot.

I had a lot of trouble burning Fedora 13 DVD from a computer running Ubuntu, I tried a bunch of times using Brasero, K3B and other software, tried UNetBootin and usb-imagewriter, it would never work. Then I tried burning the disk from Windows 7 (on the same computer) and it worked first go. Maybe something on the Fedora 13 iso is not "liked" by other linux distros?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Frank Murphy

On 29/06/10 09:04, Brett wrote:
>> I've noticed that if I burn a Fedora (or any other distro) CD at full
>> speed, about 25% of the time I end up with a disk that won't boot.
>
> I had a lot of trouble burning Fedora 13 DVD from a computer running Ubuntu,
I tried a bunch of times using Brasero, K3B and other software, tried
UNetBootin and usb-imagewriter, it would never work.
At what speeds?

Then I tried burning the disk from Windows 7 (on the same computer) and
it worked first go.

They use patented stuff.

Maybe something on the Fedora 13 iso is not "liked" by other linux distros?

No moreless than any other distro

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Brett

At what speeds?
At lowest speed and normal speed, same problem, fedora 13 would not boot (same problem with DVD and live CD).
I have burned many other distros with the same softwares in the past, including Fedora 12, Ubuntu, Lime, Debian, Slackware, and never had one fail to boot till Fedora 13. Was starting to think my burner was dying till it worked burning via Windows...