Old 06-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Mike Guilmot

Default "Invalid input device" after leaving the PC

Hi all,

I've been struggling with this message for many months now. And I
don't know in which direction I should look to find the answer.
Sometimes I get this message on my fairly new Acer monitor (in Fedora
13 but had it in F12 also).
It never happens straight when I boot the PC.

When I boot the PC, everything is working fine. I get the gui and can
use any application just fine.
However, sometimes, when I leave the PC, and close my monitor with the
power button, and come back a few hours later, when I hit the power
button I get this nasty "invalid input device" message dancing around
on my screen.

To me, no logical explanation, as sometimes it happens (once every 10
days - 2 weeks), and other times it just doesn't happen.
Thought it might have to do with screensaver, but I tested that part
out a 100times, and never been able to do it "on purpose".

Anyone an idea where to start looking ?

TIA !

--
KR,
Mike

Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Chris Rouch

On 28 June 2010 15:40, Mike Guilmot <contact@mikeguilmot.be> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been struggling with this message for many months now. And I
> don't know in which direction I should look to find the answer.
> Sometimes I get this message on my fairly new Acer monitor (in Fedora
> 13 but had it in F12 also).
> It never happens straight when I boot the PC.
>
> When I boot the PC, everything is working fine. I get the gui and can
> use any application just fine.
> However, sometimes, when I leave the PC, and close my monitor with the
> power button, and come back a few hours later, when I hit the power
> button I get this nasty "invalid input device" message dancing around
> on my screen.
>
> To me, no logical explanation, as sometimes it happens (once every 10
> days - 2 weeks), and other times it just doesn't happen.
> Thought it might have to do with screensaver, but I tested that part
> out a 100times, and never been able to do it "on purpose".
>
> Anyone an idea where to start looking ?

How is the PC connected to the monitor? I've seen a similar message
with my hdmi input, though it usually sorts itself out if i change
inputs (or sometimes just wait).

Regards,

Chris

Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Mike Guilmot

> How is the PC connected to the monitor? I've seen a similar message
> with my hdmi input, though it usually sorts itself out if i change
> inputs (or sometimes just wait).

Standard VGA.

Update: the correct message dancing around is "input not supported"
and not "invalid input".