Old 06-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Natxo Asenjo

Default dual head intel graphics card problems (laptop + docking station)

hi again,

since I upgraded to f13 getting to start my laptop at work in a
docking station is really painful.

Setup: dell latitude e6500 with fedora amd64. At work, docking station
with 2 20' monitors. With Fedora 12, this worked flawlessly. Plug
laptop in dockinstation, turn on with lid down, set it up once, work
since then with the 2 external monitors when I am at the office, just
the laptop monitor when not there.

Now it takes me between 10 minutes to half an hour to get my dual head
working every morning. It's getting on my nerves, to be honest

What happens is either:

1) I plug laptop on docking station, turn it on and when the gdm
screen should appear I just see 1/4 of left screen, the rest is not
available (black). I can go to a VT, go to runlevel 3, back to 5 and
see if it works. Rinse and repeat until it does;

2) turn it on outside the docking station, login, plug it in the
dockin station, pray that it detects the monitors. If it does not,
then it effectively hangs, I cannot change to a VT, I have to power
cycle it. Rinse and repeat until it works.

My question is: until fedora 13, the standard behaviour was not to
mirror the monitors. How can I have this behaviour now? What extra
info can I supply you with?

lspci -v:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA
controller])
Subsystem: Dell Device 024f
Memory at f6c00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at ef98 [size=8]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
Subsystem: Dell Device 024f
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Memory at f6b00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
Capabilities: <access denied>

--
Groeten,
J.Asenjo

Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM
"Roger K. Wells"

On 06/28/2010 09:14 AM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> hi again,
>
> since I upgraded to f13 getting to start my laptop at work in a
> docking station is really painful.
>
> Setup: dell latitude e6500 with fedora amd64. At work, docking station
> with 2 20' monitors. With Fedora 12, this worked flawlessly. Plug
> laptop in dockinstation, turn on with lid down, set it up once, work
> since then with the 2 external monitors when I am at the office, just
> the laptop monitor when not there.
>
> Now it takes me between 10 minutes to half an hour to get my dual head
> working every morning. It's getting on my nerves, to be honest
>
> What happens is either:
>
> 1) I plug laptop on docking station, turn it on and when the gdm
> screen should appear I just see 1/4 of left screen, the rest is not
> available (black). I can go to a VT, go to runlevel 3, back to 5 and
> see if it works. Rinse and repeat until it does;
>
> 2) turn it on outside the docking station, login, plug it in the
> dockin station, pray that it detects the monitors. If it does not,
> then it effectively hangs, I cannot change to a VT, I have to power
> cycle it. Rinse and repeat until it works.
>
> My question is: until fedora 13, the standard behaviour was not to
> mirror the monitors. How can I have this behaviour now? What extra
> info can I supply you with?
>

> lspci -v:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
> Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA
> controller])
> Subsystem: Dell Device 024f
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 31
> Memory at f6c00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
> Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
> I/O ports at ef98 [size=8]
> Expansion ROM at<unassigned> [disabled]
> Capabilities:<access denied>
> Kernel driver in use: i915
> Kernel modules: i915
>
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
> Subsystem: Dell Device 024f
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
> Memory at f6b00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
> Capabilities:<access denied>

while not being an expert in this area I do have a laptop, Thinkpad x200,
with the same intel video hardware on FC13. I am using dual heads with no
particular problems. I am not, however, using a docking station,
lust the laptop display and an external NEC MultiSync LCD 1760v.
If it would help to check any configured settings on my setup against
yours let me know.
roger wells

--
Roger Wells, P.E.
SAIC

Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Natxo Asenjo

hi again,

the problem has solved itself with the latest updates. The laptop is
working nice with the docking station again, life is good.

cheers,
natxo