Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 PM
lina

Default BIOS

>> If in doubt, check the manual for your motherboard/computer. That will
>> tell you how to enter the BIOS menu.
>>

> It's still not so "readable" for me.
>
> It's HP Ethernet Boot Agent V9.4.5

It seems that I am not allowed to enter the BIOS menu? correct?

Thanks,

Old 09-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Lina, let's tackle this one at a time.

First the VirtualBox problem.

What computer is this? Is it your Mac? As far as I know your Mac is 64
bit capable.

Virtual box comes in x86 and x86_64 versions. If you are running a
x86_64 distribution you can install the x86_64 version of VirtualBox and
a 64 bit version of your target virtualized kernel.

If any of your: laptop's processor, host distribution, virtual box
package are 32 bit, then you can only run an i386 virtualized kernel.

My guess is that your distribution is amd64, but you downloaded an i386
virtualbox. Try downloading and amd64 virtualbox, or using your distro's
package manager.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

It's like this:

Old 02-21-2013, 04:17 PM
james gray

Does the Debian OS or any other software in the Debian release write to the BIOS file.
if so where do i look for BIOS config files in the Debian side of things.
The installation that is in the machine at this time is a 32 bit net install on a 64 bit machine. The install works, but is slow, would like to try to match the machines drives with appropriate bits and see what that does for jumping through burning hoops .

i cannot get the laptop to engage the DVD in the driver. Have been re booting over and over and turning off and on a few hundred times with different ways and means, to many to remember. yes literally.

Yes i do have the Internal CD/DVD drive and not the Hard Drive at the top of the list in Boot Order.
I have made two different disks, one with the full and complete alpha numeric string that the download came with:
debian-6.0.6-amd-netinst.iso
that one shows on the desktop with a small rectangular or square box with chars in it that is difficult to read.

And have made another disk with the word debian ascribed to it and it sets on the desk top with out the**small rectangular or square box with chars in it and when i do click on it it does show a window with the*debian-6.0.6-amd-netinst.iso*
As well as the following:502-user #502
Please allow me to know where to look for answers.thank you
***