Old 06-15-2008, 03:04 PM
David Leverton

On Sunday 15 June 2008 15:42:28 Peter Volkov wrote:
> For example, currently, PMS team does not include anybody from portage
> team - official PM team and thus this team can't represent Gentoo
> interests.

The Portage team is perfectly welcome to contribute if they wish. zmedico is
on the alias, although he seems to have been focussing on working on Portage
itself. genone, from what I've seen, seems to be indifferent at best to the
idea of PMS.

I'm curious as to why you think the actively contributing members of the PMS
team aren't acting in Gentoo's interests, though.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:30 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Eric Belanger
<belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to add both keytouch and keytouch-editor to [extra]. I
> currently maintain them in community. I am currently cleaning up my
> packages in AUR/community and considering moving most (perhaps all) of the
> remaining to extra to centralize my packaging to the official repos. I'll
> let you know at the time, for now it's just keytouch and keytouch-editor
> that I plan to move. At last, keytouch and keytouch-editor have 48 and 44
> votes, respectively.
>
> Any objections?

Sounds good especially if it makes your life easier. Thanks for asking
though, +1.

-Dan

Old 06-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Peter Volkov

В Вск, 15/06/2008 в 15:50 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh пишет:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:42:28 +0400
> Peter Volkov <pva@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > By formalizing I mean the following: call for and form PMS team. Team
> > must represent portage developers and could paludis and pkgcore. All
> > suggestions for PMS draft must go into bugzilla and after patch for
> > PMS is created PMS team members should vote on that patch. After
> > voting patch is applied or discarded. Until there are open bugs in
> > bugzilla council can not approve PMS.
>
> How would a voting system be better than the current "if anyone doesn't
> like it, don't commit it until whatever they don't like is fixed"
> process?

Voting makes the process converging. It helps to avoid same arguments in
the next cycle of discussions. If you failed to find arguments and
convince majority - you have to live with decision which you don't agree
with.

> Do you think that the differences between the proportion of patches
> from 'Paludis people' that are accepted or rejected and the proportion
> of patches from 'Portage people' or 'Pkgcore people' indicates a
> problem?

No. Part of the problem is that working group on PMS does not include
developers from other PMs.

> В Вск, 15/06/2008 в 16:04 +0100, David Leverton пишет:
> zmedico is on the alias, although he seems to have been focussing on
> working on Portage itself. genone, from what I've seen, seems to be
> indifferent at best to the idea of PMS.

But without their voice I don't see how council could approve PMS. As it
was told in this thread at least some parts of PMS does not reflect the
things portage works. Thus by silence it's not possible to assume that
they agree with PMS.

> I'm curious as to why you think the actively contributing members of the PMS
> team aren't acting in Gentoo's interests, though.

Actually I don't think so. That's why I don't want to dismiss PMS and
I'm looking how to make it "official". But as I see asking council
another time to discuss PMS does not makes it official... So we should
look for other ways to get from situation. Basically what was suggested
is to put in one team all three PM developers, but taking into account
that sometimes it's hard for them to discuss things - voting should make
this working group to proceed. And yes, without portage developers in
PMS team (I even think portage developers should have 50% of voices in
voting and council to resolve moot situations) I don't think Gentoo
could call final PMS "official". The reasoning is simple - how we can
call PMS "official" if none of Gentoo portage gurus voiced to support
it? And if portage developers are not interested in PMS I don't think
council could do something besides trying to convince them or until new
portage developer arise and fix/approve PMS... You know the rules: want
to change things happen in Gentoo - became active developer. In this
case you have to became active portage developer.

--
Peter.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:27:35 +0400
Peter Volkov <pva@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > How would a voting system be better than the current "if anyone
> > doesn't like it, don't commit it until whatever they don't like is
> > fixed" process?
>
> Voting makes the process converging. It helps to avoid same arguments
> in the next cycle of discussions. If you failed to find arguments and
> convince majority - you have to live with decision which you don't
> agree with.

Please point to specific examples of discussions we've had so far
regarding patches for PMS where a consensus has not been reached
without having to resort to voting.

> > Do you think that the differences between the proportion of patches
> > from 'Paludis people' that are accepted or rejected and the
> > proportion of patches from 'Portage people' or 'Pkgcore people'
> > indicates a problem?
>
> No. Part of the problem is that working group on PMS does not include
> developers from other PMs.

Every patch submitted by developers of other PMs has been accepted.
> > I'm curious as to why you think the actively contributing members
> > of the PMS team aren't acting in Gentoo's interests, though.
>
> Actually I don't think so. That's why I don't want to dismiss PMS and
> I'm looking how to make it "official".

PMS is already an official Gentoo project.

> how we can call PMS "official" if none of Gentoo portage gurus voiced
> to support it?

The people who know Portage and ebuilds best, and who are most aware of
the implications of PMS, aren't the Portage developer. Have a read of
bug 222721 if you want a perfect example.

> And if portage developers are not interested in PMS I don't think
> council could do something besides trying to convince them or until
> new portage developer arise and fix/approve PMS... You know the
> rules: want to change things happen in Gentoo - became active
> developer. In this case you have to became active portage developer.

Most of the difficult bits of PMS have an awful lot to do with ebuilds
and very little to do with Portage. The Portage developer is more
interested in doing other things, and there's no reason to hold PMS up
until another person can be given the "Portage developer" label.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 06-15-2008, 06:59 PM
"Karsten 'quaid' Wade"

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 11:18 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> It was explained in multiple emails that people shouldn't even bother
> reporting this stuff, just fix it.

I responded to the user directly, and turned that in to this:

http://iquaid.org/2008/06/12/wiki-update-lost-content-and-l10n/

This early after the migration, we gain from using each of these Q&A
sessions as publicity about how to Do The Right Thing.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41

Old 06-16-2008, 03:59 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Eric Belanger
<belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to add both keytouch and keytouch-editor to [extra]. I
> currently maintain them in community. I am currently cleaning up my
> packages in AUR/community and considering moving most (perhaps all) of the
> remaining to extra to centralize my packaging to the official repos. I'll
> let you know at the time, for now it's just keytouch and keytouch-editor
> that I plan to move. At last, keytouch and keytouch-editor have 48 and 44
> votes, respectively.
>
> Any objections?

Nope, go ahead. Thanks for all your hard work Eric.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 AM
HabibUllahKhan

ok sir

HABIBULLAHKHAN,

HOUSE NO.2.R.C SATELLITE TOWN NO.1 JAUHARABAD
JAUHARABAD OF KHUSHAB,
PUNJAB, PAKISTAN.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Anthony Metcalf

Paul Sobey wrote:

I have my server --sync every Friday
evening, and my desktop was syncing against that on a daily basis. Thanks
for your help, that was driving me nuts.

Paul

Out of interest, why? If the server only syncs once per week, you *know*
that nothing will change as far as the client (i.e. desktop) is
concerned 6 out of 7 of the times it syncs? Seems a waste?

Anthony

Old 06-17-2008, 01:01 PM
"Donnie M."

Hello,

*

something crazy just happened when I upgraded from cobbler server 0.802,

when I did a 'cobbler sync' and 'cobbler reposync' all of my kickstart files in ~/cobbler/kickstarts dissapeared as well as the /profile/ dir, and ~/profiles_list file. is this part of upgrading via rpm?

*

In the previous versions of cobbler <0.8x when you import media cobbler would create a simple kickstart and *.repo file for the distro. I see that the repo files still get created (good!) but the kickstart generation seems changed.

*

Can anyone confirm these changes? Or should I at this point wipe my cobbler upgrade and start from scratch?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Tom Brown

Hello,

something crazy just happened when I upgraded from cobbler server 0.802,

when I did a 'cobbler sync' and 'cobbler reposync' all of my kickstart
files in ~/cobbler/kickstarts dissapeared as well as the /profile/
dir, and ~/profiles_list file. is this part of upgrading via rpm?

In the previous versions of cobbler <0.8x when you import media
cobbler would create a simple kickstart and *.repo file for the
distro. I see that the repo files still get created (good!) but the
kickstart generation seems changed.

Can anyone confirm these changes? Or should I at this point wipe my
cobbler upgrade and start from scratch?

kickstarts are now generated on the fly