Old 06-11-2008, 05:12 PM
"Alain Terriault, Mr."

Little substance .. I have live and still working system with ..

- Centos with +100 users, ldap (LAM), sendmail (or postfix), web, samba,
netatalk, dhcp .. all with certificates on a bunch of dell 1950 and
MD1000. Because it is scalable, stable 24/7 and for 100 users+ worth all
the time spending configuring it. The only problem with this setup are
kernel updates.. the only time I bring down the servers ;-)

- Clarkconnect (or SME) for small lab, because it is all done in 30
minutes and then you can easily give a "miniadmin" access to the lab
manager. They make nice, small, safe effective Gateway or server.
They are not a sysadmin (shell) playing ground, 95% of the work is done
from the web interface, a little bit like webmin. Clark is commercial
but inexpensive and well supported. SME is free, but the config system
looks to much like the old Netinfo system from NextStep .. bring back
bad memory.

Try Clark, if it not what you are looking for, go with CentOS or RH they
are very stable and effective OS for server. It will require you more
time to get it all working properly.
Sure you can install and create accounts in /etc/passwd in minutes ..
but if you want all the goodies and security (SSL, email, sasl, LDAP,
backup, raid ..) you are in for lots of fun (work).

- Workstations, Fedora or Ubuntu .. because I like having the most
up2date versions and goodies on my desktop for free.

RedHat has nice educational discount, if I remember $50/workstation and
$200/server

Bonne chance,
alain

Lock-

Old 06-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Matt Hyclak

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 09:53:29AM -0700, MHR enlightened us:
> > Matt Hyclak wrote:
> >> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:07:48PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt enlightened us:
> >>
> >> Not to pick nits, but in Columbus, OH, USA the fire trucks are (or were) all
> >> an awful shade of fluorescent yellow :-)
> >
> > I now officially hate you, because you broke my brilliantly laid out
> > retort.
> >
> > Ralph
> >

> Well, you know that he has two strikes against him, now: yours and the
> fact that he's from Columbus....
>
> mhr
> (18 year resident of Ann Arbor, MI. ;^)

My wife's family is primarily from West Virginia, so Ann Arbor has two
strikes against it: the fact that it's Ann Arbor and Rich Rodriguez ;-)

I suppose that's off topic for here, though...

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics

Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 16:22 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Matt Hyclak wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:07:48PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt enlightened us:
> > > This is something you don't have to back up with some arguments, as a
> > > non-green tree (at least from spring to fall) doesn't look that healthy
> > > and who has ever heard of a yellow fire engine?
> >
> > Not to pick nits, but in Columbus, OH, USA the fire trucks are (or were) all
> > an awful shade of fluorescent yellow :-)
>
> I now officially hate you, because you broke my brilliantly laid out
> retort.

Retort? I could've sworn it was a troll. ;-> The reply stating a
favorite was an opinion, possibly useful to the OP if he investigated.
As a suggestion, the poster had no obligation to offer supporting facts,
evidence, research, etc.

In this regard, it was no different than *many* other opinions on many
topics offered on the list that don't support a suggestion with rigorous
analytical processes. And as usual, the OP can request more info or
google.

And FYI, I've seen yellow and green fire trucks somewhere in the several
places I've lived. And trees that are red (redwoods in northern
California).

--
Bill

Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

I realise linux distros are rather a "religious" matter where each
individual/user/sysadmin/whatever think that "their" particular distro is the
best. 8-)

With that said, in my case, chosing CentOS was actually a no-brainer, as our
department had already settled with RHEL3/4 for application reasons years ago.
Furthermore, since CentOS is a binary compatible with RHEL, and looks and feel
the same (minus the RHEL-logos), it's also easy to test things out with a free
OS first.

I however really started out with Fedora Core for a short while, but was
flustered with the fast update-schedule. Anyway, I don't even know or remember
how I found out about CentOS, only that I felt this strange rush, much like when
you put a nice well-worn-in suit or something and it doesn't chafe anywhere. I
never bothered looking for another distro after finding CentOS.

I even installed it for the beloved mother after I found a potential rootkit on
her WinXP Home Ed-machine. I had had it at that point... After installing
CentOS5 for her, I applied the Redmond theme and let her play around for a bit
with it. Worked like a charm. The hd died on her machine a few months back so I
reinstalled it for her again, this time w/o the Redmond theme, and it still
works like a charm for her.

>From a user-perspective, if a 50ish-year-old woman with no interest in OS:es (or
anything IT for that matter) can use CentOS without a hitch, then neither should
anybody else. It just works, which I rather like, to put it mildly... If there
ever was a linux-success story, this is the one.

[advocate mode]If you like CentOS, please buy a RHEL entitlement whenever
possible. Remember, if there is no RHEL, there won't be a CentOS either, and
CentOS is too good to loose.[/advocate mode]

That's my 3 oere. 8-)