Old 06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
"David Williams"

Not to pick nits, but in Columbus, OH, USA the fire trucks are (or were) all

an awful shade of fluorescent yellow :-)

Safty first...
http://www.psychologymatters.org/solomon.html

...and not "all" trees are green in the spring and summer.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:36 PM
John Plemons

Given the cost and ease of setup, CentOS is a great choice, using one
of the machines as a server and the other as clients. CentOS is very
robust, and can be configured for one machine to hundreds, so to ear
mark it as only a Enterprise package is wrong, and no there isn't a
great deal of setup involved.* With the tools that come with the
package a working server can easily be configured and running in a
afternoon, so the task isn't all that tough.* Plus you have the wealth
of the CentOS community to help if you get in trouble.

That's my nickels worth, you can keep the extra three cents...

john plemons

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Alain Terriault wrote:

For 25 systems and if you want this done without spending to much time,
Clarkconnect would by my first choice for server side OS (#2 would be
SME).

[...]

For the clients side, my favorite flavor of Linux is Ubuntu.

For trees my favourite color is green, while for fire engines it is red.

This is something you don't have to back up with some arguments, as a
non-green tree (at least from spring to fall) doesn't look that healthy
and who has ever heard of a yellow fire engine?

Your case up there looks a bit different: It is easy to say that those
are your favourite flavors - but can you substantiate that somehow?
Especially as ClarkConnect and SME are based (or at least were based) on
CentOS but mostly lack a large community behind them -> Vendor Lock-In.

Ralph

Checked by AVG.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Matt Hyclak

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:22:03PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt enlightened us:
> Matt Hyclak wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:07:48PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt enlightened us:
> > > This is something you don't have to back up with some arguments, as a
> > > non-green tree (at least from spring to fall) doesn't look that healthy
> > > and who has ever heard of a yellow fire engine?
> >
> > Not to pick nits, but in Columbus, OH, USA the fire trucks are (or were) all
> > an awful shade of fluorescent yellow :-)
>
> I now officially hate you, because you broke my brilliantly laid out
> retort.

Someone had to :-)

If it makes you feel any better, it looks like they've switched back to Red.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics

Old 06-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Matt Hyclak wrote on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:18:25 -0400:

> Not to pick nits, but in Columbus, OH, USA the fire trucks are (or were) all
> an awful shade of fluorescent yellow :-)

I'm sure that's why he wrote "*favorite* color" ;-)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 06-11-2008, 04:49 PM
MHR

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:

> For trees my favourite color is green, while for fire engines it is red.
>
> This is something you don't have to back up with some arguments, as a
> non-green tree (at least from spring to fall) doesn't look that healthy
> and who has ever heard of a yellow fire engine?

Well, actually, there was an experiment out here in the wild woolly
west of California where, for a year or so, new (?) fire engines were,
in fact, painted yellow. It was a kind of dull yellow, not as bright
as a school bus, but my family always used to joke about the school
buses with sirens. I haven't seen any in a while, although there are
some white ones, too.

Aside from the obvious deficiency, yellow has this unusual quality of
being invisible under certain types of low power street lamps....

I guess some people just don't see red that well?

mhr

Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-11-2008 7:07 AM Ralph Angenendt spake the following:

Alain Terriault wrote:
For 25 systems and if you want this done without spending to much time,
Clarkconnect would by my first choice for server side OS (#2 would be
SME).
I have to agree with Clarkconnect, except you can only have 10 mail users with
the free version.

[...]

For the clients side, my favorite flavor of Linux is Ubuntu.

For trees my favourite color is green, while for fire engines it is red.

This is something you don't have to back up with some arguments, as a
non-green tree (at least from spring to fall) doesn't look that healthy
and who has ever heard of a yellow fire engine?

Here in California we have green fire engines (US Forestry) and red (burning)
trees!

At least in the summer. ;-P

SME has quite an array of addon packages. www.contribs.org.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-11-2008, 04:53 PM
MHR

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:22 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> Matt Hyclak wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:07:48PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt enlightened us:
>> > This is something you don't have to back up with some arguments, as a
>> > non-green tree (at least from spring to fall) doesn't look that healthy
>> > and who has ever heard of a yellow fire engine?
>>
>> Not to pick nits, but in Columbus, OH, USA the fire trucks are (or were) all
>> an awful shade of fluorescent yellow :-)
>
> I now officially hate you, because you broke my brilliantly laid out
> retort.
>
> Ralph

Well, you know that he has two strikes against him, now: yours and the
fact that he's from Columbus....

mhr
(18 year resident of Ann Arbor, MI. ;^)

Old 06-11-2008, 05:01 PM
MHR

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Sorin@Gmail <sorin.srbu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alain Terriault <> scribbled on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:55 PM:
>
> How do you mean "big sophisticated setup"?
>
> I think CentOS is rather easy to setup, in fact CentOS was the OS of choice when I first started with linux. I'm not fishing for flaming or trolling, just curious on why you think like you do. 8-)

'ear, 'ear!

I dabbled in Linux for nine years, including a six month
semi-concerted effort to use SuSE/Novell Linux (for which I paid $40),
none of which did it for me. CentOS, in one month, impressed me
enough to spend almost $400 to upgrade my primary home desktop
hardware so I could install CentOS and run a Windows VMWare guest on
it, and I've never been more delighted with a small system with huge
capabilities. It was (and is) easy to install and easy to manage, and
the only real trouble I've had with the system has come from other,
non-CentOS related areas (including all the things that I thought were
CentOS problems...).

Them's my $0.03 (inflation, y'know...).

mhr

Old 06-11-2008, 05:03 PM
MHR

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:

> Here in California we have green fire engines (US Forestry) and red
> (burning) trees!
> At least in the summer. ;-P

Really? Our trees burn yellow and black. Of course, I'm in OC, which
is just too conservative to do anything right....

<RBFG>

mhr

Old 06-11-2008, 05:11 PM
John R Pierce

MHR wrote:

Well, actually, there was an experiment out here in the wild woolly
west of California where, for a year or so, new (?) fire engines were,
in fact, painted yellow. It was a kind of dull yellow, not as bright
as a school bus, but my family always used to joke about the school
buses with sirens. I haven't seen any in a while, although there are
some white ones, too.

they were incredibly bright electric yellow-green around here for
awhile... I remember CDF trucks painted that color in the 70s, anyways.