Old 06-30-2012, 01:19 AM
walt

On 06/28/2012 10:14 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
> After booting from gentoo minimal livecd, chrooting into my hard
> drive, re-emerging grub:0 (just in case it has to be built against my
> latest kernel) and then running grub and doing:
>
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)
>
> it booted normally again. I guess I failed to reinstall grub like this
> after a portage update at some point... logs show I last instlaled it
> in May, and have rebooted since then without problem, maybe it was
> something else. Weird.

Just for future reference, the grub command line mode will let you
change all kinds of things that will make it possible for you to
boot from such a situation with very little effort.

When you see the empty grub menu, hit tab to see the list of commands.
Same for grub2, but the syntax is slightly different.

Just as one example, type 'root' at the grub CLI prompt.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:31 AM
walt

On 06/29/2012 06:19 PM, walt wrote:
> Just for future reference

Oops, never mind. I misread your original post

Old 06-30-2012, 05:30 AM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/29/2012 06:19 PM, walt wrote:
>> Just for future reference
>
> Oops, never mind. *I misread your original post

It's okay, I think at some point I must have updated something grub
depends on, so it wasn't able to load the stages. My grub is built
with -static USE flag, maybe I should change that!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Arch Website Notification

=== Signoff report for [community-testing] ===
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/

There are currently:
* 0 new packages in last 24 hours
* 0 known bad packages
* 0 packages not accepting signoffs
* 0 fully signed off packages
* 7 packages missing signoffs
* 0 packages older than 14 days

(Note: the word 'package' as used here refers to packages as grouped by
pkgbase, architecture, and repository; e.g., one PKGBUILD produces one
package per architecture, even if it is a split package.)

== Incomplete signoffs for [community] (7 total) ==

* systemd-arch-units-20120612-7 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* cdemu-daemon-1.5.0-6 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* nginx-1.2.1-6 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* vhba-module-20120422-2 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* cdemu-daemon-1.5.0-6 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs
* nginx-1.2.1-6 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs
* vhba-module-20120422-2 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs

== Top five in signoffs in last 24 hours ==

1. tomegun - 4 signoffs
2. ronald - 2 signoffs
3. pierre - 2 signoffs

Old 06-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Arch Website Notification

=== Signoff report for [testing] ===
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/

There are currently:
* 5 new packages in last 24 hours
* 0 known bad packages
* 0 packages not accepting signoffs
* 4 fully signed off packages
* 46 packages missing signoffs
* 0 packages older than 14 days

(Note: the word 'package' as used here refers to packages as grouped by
pkgbase, architecture, and repository; e.g., one PKGBUILD produces one
package per architecture, even if it is a split package.)

== New packages in [testing] in last 24 hours (5 total) ==

* initscripts-2012.06.3-1 (any)
* libdrm-2.4.37-1 (i686)
* xf86-video-ati-1:6.14.6-1 (i686)
* libdrm-2.4.37-1 (x86_64)
* xf86-video-ati-1:6.14.6-1 (x86_64)

== Incomplete signoffs for [core] (11 total) ==

* ca-certificates-20120623-1 (any)
1/2 signoffs
* initscripts-2012.06.3-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* dbus-core-1.6.2-2 (i686)
1/2 signoffs
* grub-2.00-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* links-2.7-1 (i686)
1/2 signoffs
* openldap-2.4.31-4 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* run-parts-4.3.2-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* wpa_supplicant-1.0-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* grub-2.00-1 (x86_64)
1/2 signoffs
* openldap-2.4.31-4 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs
* run-parts-4.3.2-1 (x86_64)
1/2 signoffs

== Incomplete signoffs for [extra] (34 total) ==

* texlive-bibtexextra-2012.26868-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-core-2012.26892-2 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-fontsextra-2012.26866-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-formatsextra-2012.26689-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-games-2012.26207-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-genericextra-2012.26700-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-htmlxml-2012.24013-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-humanities-2012.25861-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-langcjk-2012.26777-2 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-langcyrillic-2012.26689-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-langextra-2012.26750-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-langgreek-2012.26313-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-latexextra-2012.26807-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-music-2012.26726-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-pictures-2012.26791-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-plainextra-2012.25953-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-pstricks-2012.26865-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-publishers-2012.26831-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-science-2012.26607-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs
* dbus-1.6.2-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* kdebase-workspace-4.8.4-2 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement-1:0.9.0.3-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* libdrm-2.4.37-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* openconnect-1:4.00-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-bin-2012.0-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* wpa_supplicant_gui-1.0-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* xf86-video-ati-1:6.14.6-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* kdebase-workspace-4.8.4-2 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs
* kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement-1:0.9.0.3-1 (x86_64)
1/2 signoffs
* libdrm-2.4.37-1 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs
* openconnect-1:4.00-1 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs
* texlive-bin-2012.0-1 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs
* wpa_supplicant_gui-1.0-1 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs
* xf86-video-ati-1:6.14.6-1 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs

== Incomplete signoffs for [unknown] (1 total) ==

* grub-efi-x86_64-2.00-1 (any)
0/2 signoffs

== Completed signoffs (4 total) ==

* dbus-core-1.6.2-2 (x86_64)
* links-2.7-1 (x86_64)
* wpa_supplicant-1.0-1 (x86_64)
* dbus-1.6.2-1 (x86_64)

Old 07-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Arch Website Notification

[...]

1. tomegun - 6 signoffs

Old 07-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Arch Website Notification

=== Signoff report for [testing] ===
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/

There are currently:
* 10 new packages in last 24 hours
* 0 known bad packages
* 0 packages not accepting signoffs
* 4 fully signed off packages
* 52 packages missing signoffs
* 0 packages older than 14 days

(Note: the word 'package' as used here refers to packages as grouped by
pkgbase, architecture, and repository; e.g., one PKGBUILD produces one
package per architecture, even if it is a split package.)

== New packages in [testing] in last 24 hours (10 total) ==

* gcc-4.7.1-2 (i686)
* ppl-1.0-1 (i686)
* shadow-4.1.5.1-1 (i686)
* util-linux-2.21.2-3 (i686)
* gcc-4.7.1-2 (x86_64)
* ppl-1.0-1 (x86_64)
* shadow-4.1.5.1-1 (x86_64)
* util-linux-2.21.2-3 (x86_64)
* xf86-video-intel-2.19.0-5 (i686)
* xf86-video-intel-2.19.0-5 (x86_64)

== Incomplete signoffs for [core] (19 total) ==

[...]

== Incomplete signoffs for [extra] (32 total) ==

Old 07-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Frank Peters

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 12:39:07 -0400
Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:

> After configuring with the same .config file that I used for 3.4.0,
> the new 3.4.4 kernel boots but it cannot read the USB keyboard.
> Presumably the USB mouse is also affected.

The problem has been traced to a certain configuration parameter.

In the "General setup" options for kernel .config file, there
is an option called "Configure standard kernel features (expert users)."
There is also an associated admonition: "Only use this if you really
know what you are doing."

Since the help descriptions for these options are fairly easy to understand
I decided to manually set some of these options. For reasons that I
can't understand this caused the USB problems. Setting this option
to "No" fixed everything and now the kernel-3.4.4 works nicely.

It would be beneficial if anyone who truly is an "expert" could comment
on how setting these options could wreck the USB system.

Frank Peters

Old 07-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 12:39:07 -0400
> Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> After configuring with the same .config file that I used for 3.4.0,
>> the new 3.4.4 kernel boots but it cannot read the USB keyboard.
>> Presumably the USB mouse is also affected.
>>

> The problem has been traced to a certain configuration parameter.
>
> In the "General setup" options for kernel .config file, there
> is an option called "Configure standard kernel features (expert users)."
> There is also an associated admonition: "Only use this if you really
> know what you are doing."
>
> Since the help descriptions for these options are fairly easy to understand
> I decided to manually set some of these options. For reasons that I
> can't understand this caused the USB problems. Setting this option
> to "No" fixed everything and now the kernel-3.4.4 works nicely.
>
> It would be beneficial if anyone who truly is an "expert" could comment
> on how setting these options could wreck the USB system.

I am not an expert and don't know about your particular options that
were enabled/disabled, but on my laptop I had to ensure the USB
modules were loaded in a certain order. In my case my laptop supports
EHCI and UHCI, but I had to set EHCI as built-in and UHCI as module
(or I probably could have just blacklisted UHCI). Basically, if UHCI
got loaded first it would cause strangeness.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Arch Website Notification

[...]

1. allan - 12 signoffs