Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 PM
John R Pierce

Bent Terp wrote:

Lustre?

there's also the commercial IBrix Fusion distributed file system. I've
only seen demos and done a paper eval for a project that never
materialized, it looked very interesting, but our requirements shifted,
so we never got past the initial research stage... Its designed for
very high performance filesystems, you dedicate some number of servers
to manage the filesystem, then your applications talk to that cluster.
It can work with both shared SAN attached storage, and per node direct
attached storage, distributing the metadata management workload as well
as the IO processing workload across the cluster, while maintaining full
redundancy.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
John R Pierce

Lundgren, Andrew wrote:

Lustre only runs on Linux. RH5 is fully supported. (And it works fine with CentOS 5.)

My personal guess (and probably more than a few others) is that Sun is
interested in taking the clustering functionality that underlies Lustre
and integrating it with ZFS for a future version of Solaris. Even if
Sun stops supporting Lustre development on Linux, its GPL open source,
undoubtably someone else will pick up the slack...

Old 06-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Alain Terriault

Just wondering if any one ever consider/use Coraid for massive storage
under CentOS?

http://www.coraid.com
It seems like a very reasonable option.. comments ?

I$ilon could also be a option for petabytes storage
http://www.isilon.com/products/index.php

mslist@opcenter.net wrote:

To start I wish to that you for the swift response on this
issue. I do not think that I would get such a quick
response from a proprietary (closed-source) company. Open
Source :-).

To respond to one the comments about large file systems
“recommend you split it in several smaller (2-4TB)
filesystems “
This is not feasible in many situations. In some
situations 2-4TB is not even a reasonable starting point.

A little background.
I have been using RH from v2 to v9. and in v9 I did get an
install ISO of RH9 that included XFS support. Way back
then I used it on a 1.4TB PATA hardware raid 5 (A lot of
disk for it time). The system is still operational with
out any FS issues short of failed drives. Fixed with the
hot spares on the system. in five years of operation the
system has had one outage a maintenance reboot Less then
2min down). After RH9 I switched to Centos.

The system that I am currently configuring with 7+ TB of
storage is one of the smaller storage servers for our
systems. Using the same configuration with more drives we
are planning several 20TB+ systems.

For the work we do a single file system over 100TB is not
unreasonable. We will be replacing a 80TB SAN system based
on StorNext with a Isilon system with 10G network
connections.

If there was a way to create a Linux (Centos) 100TB –
500TB or larger clustered file system with the nodes
connected via infiniband that was easily manageable with
throughput that can support multiple 10Gbps Ethernet
connections I would be very interested.

And once more thanks for the fast response.

Mike

Old 06-02-2008, 07:48 PM
"Lundgren, Andrew"

> My personal guess (and probably more than a few others) is that Sun is
> interested in taking the clustering functionality that
> underlies Lustre
> and integrating it with ZFS for a future version of Solaris.
> Even if
> Sun stops supporting Lustre development on Linux, its GPL open source,
> undoubtedly someone else will pick up the slack...

That could be. I have spoken with some of the lead cluster fs people (now Sun) about it. For the next few revs at least it will continue as a Linux product. ZFS will be put underneath lustre rather than ext3.

--
Andrew

Old 06-02-2008, 07:58 PM

I*think*I*experienced*your*problem.** If*you*don't*have*a /boot*partition, then*the*path*to*the*kernel*is*referenced*from /boot (because*its*inside*the*real "/" fs).* If*you*have*a /boot*partition, then*the*path*to*your*kernel*is*referenced*from "/".

What*worries*me*is*that*you*mentioned*you*get*a*ke rnel*panic*which*implies*the*boot*loader*was*able* to*locate*the*kernel.** Can*you*capture*a*bit*of*the*output*from*the*panic ?* How*large*is*your "/"?

Brian*Micek

*

Old 06-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Bowie Bailey

Alain Terriault wrote:
> Just wondering if any one ever consider/use Coraid for massive storage
> under CentOS?
> http://www.coraid.com
> It seems like a very reasonable option.. comments ?

I have one of those installed on CentOS 4.6 with 1TB of storage. I'm
sharing it between three servers. I can't say how well it works for
multi-TB storage, but it works well enough for me at 1TB.

Our testing showed reasonable performance. You can get faster shared
storage, but you'll be hard pressed to find it cheaper.

The linux drivers are readily available from the Coraid website and they
compile very easily on CentOS.

--
Bowie

Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Mansour

Here's the last few lines:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boor option; here are the available
partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

The root "/" is very large. It's more than 20 GB

bmicek@speakeasy.net wrote:
I think I experienced your problem. If you don't have a
/boot partition, then the path to the kernel is referenced from /boot
(because its inside the real "/" fs). If you have a /boot partition,
then the path to your kernel is referenced from "/".

What worries me is that you mentioned you get a kernel panic which implies the boot loader was able to locate the kernel.
Can you capture a bit of the output from the panic? How large is your
"/"?

Old 06-02-2008, 08:45 PM
ionut cucu

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:15:27 -0300
Mansour <mansour77@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here's the last few lines:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boor option; here are the available
> partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> The root "/" is very large. It's more than 20 GB
At a first glance:
You need the file system for / compiled (*) in the kernel
You need to compile the proper chipset in the kernel(or try using the
generic one):If your system uses sata be sure to compile properly the
drivers for it

Old 06-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Mansour

ionut cucu wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:15:27 -0300
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boor option; here are the available
partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

The root "/" is very large. It's more than 20 GB

At a first glance:
You need the file system for / compiled (*) in the kernel

I think you are right about this. I will recompile the kernel. And see
where do I go from there.

Thank you.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 PM

I'm not sure if this link http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/fc2-vfs-cannot-open-root-device-label-or-unknown-block00-269230/

helps but it seems to agree with what your thinking.* Your not using an initrd so you'll need to hot wire your stuff in the kernel (not as a module).

Brian Micek