Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Norman Invasion

On 11 May 2012 21:40, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Finally, I found something. It's Dolphin!
>
> I've done some longer testing, always playing the same video parallel
> with a dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/10G bs=1M count=10000, in mplayer, for a
> minute, several times. When I do this by opening the file in Dolphin, I
> get about 15 interruptions, some for longer than a second. Started on the
> command line, there are very few, I can play the video for minutes
> without a gap. Hooray!
>
> In KDE, I usually play videos by opening them in Dolphin. I exchanged
> 'mplayer %U' by 'xterm -T MPLAYER -e mplayer %U' in the settings, now
> mplayer runs in a terminal, and all is fine. I created a window rule so
> the terminal automatically minimizes. Cool!
>
> It only happens in mplayer and mplayer2. Other players work fine, but I
> like mplayer best, and prefer to run it without any window decoration.
>
> Now, would this be an MPlayer problem, or one of Dolphin?

Apologies: I haven't followed this thread from the beginning,
but do you have any advanced power management features
enabled (especially hard drive related)?
When I pull the power cord on my lap-top, it goes into all kinds
of nutty "power-saving" and mplayer has long pauses while
the drive spins back up.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Alex Schuster

Norman Invasion writes:

> On 11 May 2012 21:40, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> > Finally, I found something. It's Dolphin!
[...]
> Apologies: I haven't followed this thread from the beginning,

Which was quite long ago

> but do you have any advanced power management features
> enabled (especially hard drive related)?

My drives spin down after 30 minutes of idle time, but this never happens
for the system drive. The CPU is set to throttle down from 3600 MHz to
1400 MHz with the ondemand governor, but changing to performance governor
makes no change.

> When I pull the power cord on my lap-top, it goes into all kinds
> of nutty "power-saving" and mplayer has long pauses while
> the drive spins back up.

Yeah, but those pauses are much longer than the small interruptions that
are a fraction of a second mostly, and do not happen 15 times per minute.
And it only happens when MPlayer is started from Dolphin. Well, mainly,
when there is much system load, I also had small interruptions when I run
mplayer from the command line, but they are much much less frequent, and
do not happen under normal circumstances, like when doing emerges while
playing videos.

Wonko

Old 05-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Norman Invasion

On 12 May 2012 11:05, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Norman Invasion writes:
>
>> On 11 May 2012 21:40, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
>> > Finally, I found something. It's Dolphin!
> [...]
>> Apologies: I haven't followed this thread from the beginning,
>
> Which was quite long ago
>
>> but do you have any advanced power management features
>> enabled (especially hard drive related)?
>
> My drives spin down after 30 minutes of idle time, but this never happens
> for the system drive. The CPU is set to throttle down from 3600 MHz to
> 1400 MHz with the ondemand governor, but changing to performance governor
> makes no change.
>
>> When I pull the power cord on my lap-top, it goes into all kinds
>> of nutty "power-saving" and mplayer has long pauses while
>> the drive spins back up.
>
> Yeah, but those pauses are much longer than the small interruptions that
> are a fraction of a second mostly, and do not happen 15 times per minute.
> And it only happens when MPlayer is started from Dolphin. Well, mainly,
> when there is much system load, I also had small interruptions when I run
> mplayer from the command line, but they are much much less frequent, and
> do not happen under normal circumstances, like when doing emerges while
> playing videos.

I'm just recalling that I get stuttering audio in freebsd, which is caused
by what-I-don't-know, but only happens when the CPU load is low.
Firing up burncpu or doing useless recompiles ameliorates it.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:24 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:59:22AM +0000, Duncan wrote

> It may very well be that a fork is thus required. I guess we wait and
> see. But I don't see the kde folks being willingly subsumed into a
> gnomeos black hole, and time and again, floss history has demonstrated
> that when there's an immediate need, forks do occur. Both gnome and kde
> have their forks in recent history, xorg is a fork, there's the glibc and
> gcc history, etc. If integration gets too close, a fork /will/ happen.

There already is a lightweight udev implementation ("mdev") included
in busybox. Given busybox's philisophy and goals, we can be certain
that mdev will remain lightweight. I'm not a programmer or developer,
but I was annoyed enough to start what became
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev BTW, there is a sort of "udev rules"
equivalant. See http://git.busybox.net/busybox/plain/docs/mdev.txt

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Arch Website Notification

=== Signoff report for [community-testing] ===
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/

There are currently:
* 0 new packages in last 24 hours
* 0 known bad packages
* 0 packages not accepting signoffs
* 0 fully signed off packages
* 3 packages missing signoffs
* 2 packages older than 14 days

(Note: the word 'package' as used here refers to packages as grouped by
pkgbase, architecture, and repository; e.g., one PKGBUILD produces one
package per architecture, even if it is a split package.)

== Incomplete signoffs for [community] (1 total) ==

* systemd-arch-units-20120412-5 (any)
0/2 signoffs

== Incomplete signoffs for [unknown] (2 total) ==

* mariadb-5.5.23-3 (i686)
1/2 signoffs
* mariadb-5.5.23-3 (x86_64)
1/2 signoffs

== All packages in [community-testing] for more than 14 days (2 total) ==

* mariadb-5.5.23-3 (x86_64), since 2012-04-26
* mariadb-5.5.23-3 (i686), since 2012-04-26

== Top five in signoffs in last 24 hours ==

1. allan - 3 signoffs
2. dan - 2 signoffs
3. pierre - 1 signoffs

Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Arch Website Notification

=== Signoff report for [testing] ===
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/

There are currently:
* 9 new packages in last 24 hours
* 0 known bad packages
* 0 packages not accepting signoffs
* 3 fully signed off packages
* 13 packages missing signoffs
* 0 packages older than 14 days

(Note: the word 'package' as used here refers to packages as grouped by
pkgbase, architecture, and repository; e.g., one PKGBUILD produces one
package per architecture, even if it is a split package.)

== New packages in [testing] in last 24 hours (9 total) ==

* archlinux-keyring-20120512-1 (any)
* xf86-video-intel-2.19.0-1 (i686)
* xf86-video-nouveau-0.0.16_git20120512-1 (i686)
* xorg-server-1.12.1.901-2 (i686)
* xf86-video-intel-2.19.0-1 (x86_64)
* xf86-video-nouveau-0.0.16_git20120512-1 (x86_64)
* xorg-server-1.12.1.901-2 (x86_64)
* libdrm-new-2.4.34-1 (i686)
* libdrm-new-2.4.34-1 (x86_64)

== Incomplete signoffs for [core] (5 total) ==

* archlinux-keyring-20120512-1 (any)
1/2 signoffs
* coreutils-8.17-1 (i686)
1/2 signoffs
* mdadm-3.2.4-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* xinetd-2.3.15-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* xinetd-2.3.15-1 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs

== Incomplete signoffs for [extra] (6 total) ==

* xf86-video-intel-2.19.0-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* xf86-video-nouveau-0.0.16_git20120512-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* xorg-server-1.12.1.901-2 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* xf86-video-intel-2.19.0-1 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs
* xf86-video-nouveau-0.0.16_git20120512-1 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs
* xorg-server-1.12.1.901-2 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs

== Incomplete signoffs for [unknown] (2 total) ==

* libdrm-new-2.4.34-1 (i686)
0/2 signoffs
* libdrm-new-2.4.34-1 (x86_64)
0/2 signoffs

== Completed signoffs (3 total) ==

* netcfg-2.8.2-1 (any)
* coreutils-8.17-1 (x86_64)
* mdadm-3.2.4-1 (x86_64)

Old 05-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sat, 12 May 2012 11:41:33 -0400
Norman Invasion <invasivenorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 May 2012 11:05, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> > Norman Invasion writes:

> > [...]
> >> Apologies: I haven't followed this thread from the beginning,
> >
> > Which was quite long ago
> >
> >> but do you have any advanced power management features
> >> enabled (especially hard drive related)?
> >
> > My drives spin down after 30 minutes of idle time, but this never
> > happens for the system drive. The CPU is set to throttle down from
> > 3600 MHz to 1400 MHz with the ondemand governor, but changing to
> > performance governor makes no change.
> >
> >> When I pull the power cord on my lap-top, it goes into all kinds
> >> of nutty "power-saving" and mplayer has long pauses while
> >> the drive spins back up.
> >
> > Yeah, but those pauses are much longer than the small interruptions
> > that are a fraction of a second mostly, and do not happen 15 times
> > per minute. And it only happens when MPlayer is started from
> > Dolphin. Well, mainly, when there is much system load, I also had
> > small interruptions when I run mplayer from the command line, but
> > they are much much less frequent, and do not happen under normal
> > circumstances, like when doing emerges while playing videos.
> >

> I'm just recalling that I get stuttering audio in freebsd, which is
> caused by what-I-don't-know, but only happens when the CPU load is
> low. Firing up burncpu or doing useless recompiles ameliorates it.

I was getting stuttering audio from a sizeable % of my .avi files
served from a FreeBSD NAS. The likely cause became obvious when I
noticed that it was only on .avi files - all real containers were
fine[1].

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -of avi -o <new_file> <old_file>

fixed it permanently. I'm won't go so far as to say this might apply
to your issue, but sometimes the simplest things are the actual
causes :-)

[1] .avi files are notorious for this shit. It's what happens when you
are Microsoft and you release any old crappy format without consulting
the other experts out there (who will always outnumber you)

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 05-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Michael Mol

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> [1] .avi files are notorious for this shit. It's what happens when you
> are Microsoft and you release any old crappy format without consulting
> the other experts out there (who will always outnumber you)

Which better container formats were available at the time AVI was
released (1992)? The only contemporary container format I'm aware of
is RIFF, which came out in 1988. MPEG-1 didn't come out until 1993,
which was the same year the Ogg project started. Real's stuff didn't
come out until 1995. Matroska was announced a decade later, in 2005.

Matroska, MP4 and even OGG are nicer container formats, sure, but they
weren't around yet. And even with any of them, it's perfectly possible
to accidentally get A/V desync or stuttering if you don't mux your
streams properly.

(This post draws heavily on Wikipedia for date information, and dates
may be considered only as accurate as Wikipedia...)

--
:wq

Old 05-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 13 May 2012 14:12:04 -0400
Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Alan McKinnon
> <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [1] .avi files are notorious for this shit. It's what happens when
> > you are Microsoft and you release any old crappy format without
> > consulting the other experts out there (who will always outnumber
> > you)
>
> Which better container formats were available at the time AVI was
> released (1992)? The only contemporary container format I'm aware of
> is RIFF, which came out in 1988. MPEG-1 didn't come out until 1993,
> which was the same year the Ogg project started. Real's stuff didn't
> come out until 1995. Matroska was announced a decade later, in 2005.
>
> Matroska, MP4 and even OGG are nicer container formats, sure, but they
> weren't around yet. And even with any of them, it's perfectly possible
> to accidentally get A/V desync or stuttering if you don't mux your
> streams properly.
>
> (This post draws heavily on Wikipedia for date information, and dates
> may be considered only as accurate as Wikipedia...)

You missed the essence of my post entirely.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 05-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Michael Mol

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2012 14:12:04 -0400
> Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Alan McKinnon
>> <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > [1] .avi files are notorious for this shit. It's what happens when
>> > you are Microsoft and you release any old crappy format without
>> > consulting the other experts out there (who will always outnumber
>> > you)
>>
>> Which better container formats were available at the time AVI was
>> released (1992)? The only contemporary container format I'm aware of
>> is RIFF, which came out in 1988. MPEG-1 didn't come out until 1993,
>> which was the same year the Ogg project started. Real's stuff didn't
>> come out until 1995. Matroska was announced a decade later, in 2005.
>>
>> Matroska, MP4 and even OGG are nicer container formats, sure, but they
>> weren't around yet. And even with any of them, it's perfectly possible
>> to accidentally get A/V desync or stuttering if you don't mux your
>> streams properly.
>>
>> (This post draws heavily on Wikipedia for date information, and dates
>> may be considered only as accurate as Wikipedia...)
>>

> You missed the essence of my post entirely.

Anti-Microsoft snark? I thought I was calling you on it.

--
:wq