Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 22:51 -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 08/13/2011 07:51 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> /snip/
> > Heh, you can't win, Jordon, when the subject line of this thread started
> > off empty.<chuckles> Tero, since Unix has been around since the dawn of
> > time, old geeks are used to using plain text and for eons bandwidth has
> > been a consideration. So, as this list notes on the sign-up page, plain
> > text is what is used here. So is bottom posting (or middle post) and
> > trim. So, it is what it is, the list preference. No pink unicorns with
> > sparklies allowed. Plus, a person can readily print out the summation
> > (FIXED!) of the back and forth email exchange to a resolution in a case,
> > for reference. On just about any printer, including a Teletype 33 or a
> > Qume.
> >
> > Now you know, sin no more, you are absolved. And welcome to the list.
> >
> > Ric
> >

> You say that a person can readily print out a summation of the the email
> exchange to a resolution of the problem. I am not aware of how this is
> done,
> and whether it is done for all of the Linux lists, or just for Ubuntu,
> or what?
> Please elaborate.

Well, in theory mind you, if a question is first posted and the parties
who entered into the exchange do a good job of middle/bottom postings
with appropriate trims, then the LAST post, the "Eureka Moment" where
the OP added FIXED! to the subject line, while gushing forth proper
gratitude and thanks, THEN you would have something suitable for
printing and maybe even framing. A pure work of intellectual
cooperation. Perfect and flawless. Even GOD is gratified by his
creations.

So, when one of these perfect documents comes along, I'll see to it that
you get a copy. Jus' don't hold your breath. Yet, we maintain the list
rules just for the off-chance that event occurs. And, we expect others
to do likewise. <chuckles> Ric
Linux user# 44256

Old 08-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 05:37:51PM -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 08/13/2011 05:22 PM, Tero Pesonen wrote:
> > You said saving bandwith was the entire justification for plain text; it
> > is not the justification for me, as my earlier reply explained. Nor is
> > to other users whom I know to prefer plaintext. So in case yours was
> > meant to be a universal statement, let me opine that that no, bandwith
> > restrictions are not the only justified reason to send plaintext.
>
> I can't tell if this is the straw man playing with fire or if this is
> just plain trolling either way, just because I state it's the
> justification means it's obviously about /only me/?

Not to start a war, but I interpreted it the same way Tero did. It did
*not* seem to refer to you only.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Old 08-14-2011, 03:59 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 08/13/2011 10:54 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 05:37:51PM -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>> On 08/13/2011 05:22 PM, Tero Pesonen wrote:
>>> You said saving bandwith was the entire justification for plain text; it
>>> is not the justification for me, as my earlier reply explained. Nor is
>>> to other users whom I know to prefer plaintext. So in case yours was
>>> meant to be a universal statement, let me opine that that no, bandwith
>>> restrictions are not the only justified reason to send plaintext.
>>
>> I can't tell if this is the straw man playing with fire or if this is
>> just plain trolling either way, just because I state it's the
>> justification means it's obviously about /only me/?
>
> Not to start a war, but I interpreted it the same way Tero did. It did
> *not* seem to refer to you only.

If you interpreted it that way would that not mean you read it the way I
said it? The ? indicates a question with satire mixed in, a bit of bad
satire I know but it's there and noticeable. He interpreted the
opposite of what you indicate you interpreted it as.

I know I'm horrible at English but I can't be that bad can I?

Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 AM
chris

On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 23:27 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 22:51 -0400, Doug wrote:
<snip>
> So, when one of these perfect documents comes along, I'll see to it that
> you get a copy. Jus' don't hold your breath. Yet, we maintain the list
> rules just for the off-chance that event occurs. And, we expect others
> to do likewise. <chuckles> Ric
> --
A rare and wondrous occasion, equalling the discovery of the club by Ug
in a moment of brilliance,
das kiwi

Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Camalen

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:10:39 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camalen wrote:

(...)

>> Google is now forcing their users to use cookies
>
> IS that your experience for http://www.google.com or whatever one has to
> do to access gmail?

For their search engine, yes.

(as an aside comment, I also left Gmail's webmail and always try to use
Mutt instead for accessing into my e-mail account)

> I just did a Google search with both JavaScript and cookies disabled
> with no apparent problems. I plead guilty to using WinXP Pro as I've yet
> to find a Linux distro that meets some of my peculiar requirements (i do
> now hereby duck

I neither see "apparent problems" (if by "no apparent problems" we mean
here that it simple works :-) ) when using Google search, is just that I
can't get it to work the way I like...

- Can you remove auto-complete? Nope
- Can you get rif off the small preview image? Nope
- Can you instruct Google search to stay in the language you started
browsing with? Nope

I would have ditched Google search some time ago but I like their addons
like Image search and News. I wish DuckDuckGo could provide a similar
facilities...

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 08-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 14/08/11 19:20, � wrote:

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:10:39 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

(...)

Google is now forcing their users to use cookies

Google has used cookies since day one. They're not needed for searching.
Edit => Preferences => Privacy => In the history section use the
drop-down bar to select Custom => untick both of the cookies boxes.

You will need first party cookies for gmail and other services - there's
no other way to provide the functionality requires (javascript doesn't
do "back").

IS that your experience for http://www.google.com or whatever one has to
do to access gmail?

For their search engine, yes.

(as an aside comment, I also left Gmail's webmail and always try to use
Mutt instead for accessing into my e-mail account)

I just did a Google search with both JavaScript and cookies disabled
with no apparent problems. I plead guilty to using WinXP Pro as I've yet
to find a Linux distro that meets some of my peculiar requirements (i do
now hereby duck

I neither see "apparent problems" (if by "no apparent problems" we mean
here that it simple works :-) ) when using Google search, is just that I
can't get it to work the way I like...

- Can you remove auto-complete? Nope

"Apparently" it's still possible in preferences - but preferences
requires you to be logged into iGoogle, which counts as no (for me).

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0 no longer seems to work :-(
Maybe if it annoyed me sufficiently I'd work out how to kill it (it's
only javascript).

- Can you get rif off the small preview image? Nope

Do you mean those annoying mouse-over javascript pop-ups page previews?
xul-ext-noscript fixes that.

- Can you instruct Google search to stay in the language you started
browsing with? Nope

I believe you can. Use one of the Mycroft search plugins:-
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html

Please try one and provide some feedback. There are a few about:config
search setting in Iceweasel that include %LOCALE% in the URI, and I've
yet to fully understand all of them. If what you want is not there (in
Mycroft search plugins) - let me know what language, search locality,
and country, etc are required and I'll put one up (when I get some more
time).

Make sure you turn off geolocation in Iceweasel to rule out problems there:-
about:config => geo.

I would have ditched Google search some time ago but I like their addons
like Image search and News. I wish DuckDuckGo could provide a similar
facilities...

Greetings,

Try Blekko - it's pretty good too. (anything but Bling)

Cheers

--
“People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah,
maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a

~ Bill Hicks

Archive: 4E47C743.808@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E47C743.808@gmail.com

Old 08-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 23:01:55 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 14/08/11 19:20, � wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:10:39 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> (...)

> Google has used cookies since day one.

Not as agressively as it is doing now.

Cookies were used -and are sill used- for tracking users and displaying
adds (which I find it okay) but I've never had to use a specific URI for
Google to look like it was used to. As Google has been adding more and
more services it also has started to be more and more strict to what they
services have to look like.

> They're not needed for searching.

Oh, of course. If I would have needed cookies for a simple search I would
have ditched Google since years :-)

> Edit => Preferences => Privacy => In the history section use the
> drop-down bar to select Custom => untick both of the cookies boxes.

And what you get with that setting turned on?

I don't care about tracking, I allow all cookies for all of the sites, is
just that I delete them when I close the browser because I don't want my
browser get bloated in the next months.

> You will need first party cookies for gmail and other services - there's
> no other way to provide the functionality requires (javascript doesn't
> do "back").

Again, allowing cookies is not a problem for me.

>> I neither see "apparent problems" (if by "no apparent problems" we mean
>> here that it simple works :-) ) when using Google search, is just that
>> I can't get it to work the way I like...
>>
>> - Can you remove auto-complete? Nope
>
> "Apparently" it's still possible in preferences - but preferences
> requires you to be logged into iGoogle, which counts as no (for me).

Exactly! How in the hell would I need to "login" in a web search engine
for getting such option? That's no-sense.

> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0 no longer seems to work :-( Maybe
> if it annoyed me sufficiently I'd work out how to kill it (it's only
> javascript).

"complete=0" works for me.

>> - Can you get rif off the small preview image? Nope
>
> Do you mean those annoying mouse-over javascript pop-ups page previews?
> xul-ext-noscript fixes that.

I know there are many addons to avoid that but I neither want to keep my
browser full of third-party addons... an addon to fix each of the things
Google breaks? No, thanks, better fix Google >:-)

>> - Can you instruct Google search to stay in the language you started
>> browsing with? Nope
>
> I believe you can. Use one of the Mycroft search plugins:-
> http://mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html
>
> Please try one and provide some feedback. There are a few about:config
> search setting in Iceweasel that include %LOCALE% in the URI, and I've
> yet to fully understand all of them. If what you want is not there (in
> Mycroft search plugins) - let me know what language, search locality,
> and country, etc are required and I'll put one up (when I get some more
> time).
>
> Make sure you turn off geolocation in Iceweasel to rule out problems
> there:- about:config => geo.

But I don't want to be plenty of addons! And what happens when you are
not in your computer or you use more than one browser? You have to care
about getting every addon to fix Google services just to have a happy
browsing? Nooope, not me. I'm not going to waste my time on that. When I
feel tired enough of what Google provides I will just do the same I did
with their webmail and use another MUA, so in this case, I'll use another
search engine.

>> I would have ditched Google search some time ago but I like their
>> addons like Image search and News. I wish DuckDuckGo could provide a
>> similar facilities...
>>
> Try Blekko - it's pretty good too. (anything but Bling)

Looks nice and also search for images. Thanks, I will add it to my
bookmarks, very next to the Google entry...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 14/08/11 19:20, � wrote:

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:10:39 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

(...)

Google is now forcing their users to use cookies

Google has used cookies since day one.

Not as agressively as it is doing now.

Mea culpa - I thought that comment was made by Richard...

Cookies were used -and are sill used- for tracking users and displaying
adds (which I find it okay) but I've never had to use a specific URI for
Google to look like it was used to.

It's annoying - some of the Google people are very responsive, and other
are downright obtuse.

Politely letting them know you miss the functionality helps - Sagar
Kamdar and Matt Dunn are very nice, , smart, responsive, and helpful
(and influential). They understand tipping points and the importance of
keeping bleeding edge adopters happy. *You* should find a friendly ear
there ;-p :-D

As Google has been adding more and
more services it also has started to be more and more strict to what they
services have to look like.

Some of that is understandable as the products leave beta and have to be
supported better (the Ned and Chav factor). But they could give us the
choice to between beta testing products with choices, or using the
stricter production products (closing the labs is one of my biggest
complaints).

They're not needed for searching.

Oh, of course. If I would have needed cookies for a simple search I would
have ditched Google since years :-)

Edit => Preferences => Privacy => In the history section use the
drop-down bar to select Custom => untick both of the cookies boxes.

And what you get with that setting turned on?

No cookies. Which don't bother me - I clear them at the start of new
sessions (and I never install flash, so flash cookies are not an option).

[...]

If we could set those options in a plain text file... oh wait - that's
like cookies :-D
Seriously - most of the privacy concerns Google users have would
evaporate if Google cookies were renamed Google preference and stored
~/.google_prefs with human readable values like:-

autocomplete=off
autosuggest=off
etc, etc.

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0 no longer seems to work :-( Maybe
if it annoyed me sufficiently I'd work out how to kill it (it's only
javascript).

"complete=0" works for me.

When I next have time to create some more Mycroft search plugins I'll
try embedding that.

- Can you get rif off the small preview image? Nope

Do you mean those annoying mouse-over javascript pop-ups page previews?
xul-ext-noscript fixes that.

I know there are many addons to avoid that but I neither want to keep my
browser full of third-party addons... an addon to fix each of the things
Google breaks? No, thanks, better fix Google>:-)

NoScript (and that's the Debian build) is the single most useful
Iceweasel plugin (IMNSHO). AdBlock_Plus'd be the second.

[...]

I use two extensions and one search plugin - they live on a gmail
account, so I install them where ever I use a browser. Generally I have
access to my own machine - otherwise I've got USB keys (I prefer not to
use computers I don't own).

I would have ditched Google search some time ago but I like their
addons like Image search and News. I wish DuckDuckGo could provide a
similar facilities...

Try Blekko - it's pretty good too. (anything but Bling)

Looks nice and also search for images. Thanks, I will add it to my
bookmarks, very next to the Google entry...

The search plugins are the OpenDesktop search plugins - usable in most
browsers (including MSIE) - it's those default search engines in the
search box up the top right of Iceweasel. They're nothing like the
convoluted things called extensions, just a dozen lines of plain text in
an xml file.

Greetings,

Cheers

--

Archive: 4E47DE09.3030205@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E47DE09.3030205@gmail.com

Old 08-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 00:39:05 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 14/08/11 23:31, � wrote:
^
You're still with the black diamond issue :-P

>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 23:01:55 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>>> Google has used cookies since day one.
>>
>> Not as agressively as it is doing now.
>
> Mea culpa - I thought that comment was made by Richard...

Yep, it was me.

My relation with Google is now very distant and cold. But it's not just
me who thinks in that way, the web is full of complaints about this new
Google policy of "use our services like we want to be used or fly away".

>> Cookies were used -and are sill used- for tracking users and displaying
>> adds (which I find it okay) but I've never had to use a specific URI
>> for Google to look like it was used to.
>
> It's annoying - some of the Google people are very responsive, and other
> are downright obtuse.
>
> Politely letting them know you miss the functionality helps - Sagar
> Kamdar and Matt Dunn are very nice, , smart, responsive, and helpful
> (and influential). They understand tipping points and the importance of
> keeping bleeding edge adopters happy. *You* should find a friendly ear
> there ;-p :-D

I will take note. But again, Google forums are full of unger users about
this:

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en#sclient=psy&hl=en&complete= 0&site=webhp&source=hp&q=google+disable+autocomple te&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=43b3d7638083a689&biw= 1280&bih=888
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en#sclient=psy&hl=en&complete= 0&site=webhp&source=hp&q=google+disable+instant+pr eview&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=43b3d7638083a689&b iw=1280&bih=888

It's hard to believe they are not aware of this >>>:-)

>> As Google has been adding more and
>> more services it also has started to be more and more strict to what
>> they services have to look like.
>
> Some of that is understandable as the products leave beta and have to be
> supported better (the Ned and Chav factor). But they could give us the
> choice to between beta testing products with choices, or using the
> stricter production products (closing the labs is one of my biggest
> complaints).

But Google search is not in a Beta stage, right? ;-)

>>> Edit => Preferences => Privacy => In the history section use the
>>> drop-down bar to select Custom => untick both of the cookies boxes.
>>
>> And what you get with that setting turned on?
>
> No cookies. Which don't bother me - I clear them at the start of new
> sessions (and I never install flash, so flash cookies are not an
> option).

Ah, okay, you are doing the same as me with the flash exception (I have
it installed, but hope the flash plugin can be finally removed from the
face of the Earth as soon as possible :-P).

>>> "Apparently" it's still possible in preferences - but preferences
>>> requires you to be logged into iGoogle, which counts as no (for me).
>>
>> Exactly! How in the hell would I need to "login" in a web search engine
>> for getting such option? That's no-sense.
>
> If we could set those options in a plain text file... oh wait - that's
> like cookies :-D
> Seriously - most of the privacy concerns Google users have would
> evaporate if Google cookies were renamed Google preference and stored
> ~/.google_prefs with human readable values like:- autocomplete=off
> autosuggest=off
> etc, etc.

True is that I don't care about they track me. They provide a free
service and have to make money from "something". Google adds are annoying
but not the ones we encounter when using Google search, I find most
annoying the adds that another sites are using in their web pages because
they are not very well identified and clicking on them by mistake is very
easy.

>>> Do you mean those annoying mouse-over javascript pop-ups page
>>> previews? xul-ext-noscript fixes that.
>>
>> I know there are many addons to avoid that but I neither want to keep
>> my browser full of third-party addons... an addon to fix each of the
>> things Google breaks? No, thanks, better fix Google>:-)
>
> NoScript (and that's the Debian build) is the single most useful
> Iceweasel plugin (IMNSHO). AdBlock_Plus'd be the second.

I will have to review it.

>> But I don't want to be plenty of addons! And what happens when you are
>> not in your computer or you use more than one browser? You have to care
>> about getting every addon to fix Google services just to have a happy
>> browsing? Nooope, not me. I'm not going to waste my time on that. When
>> I feel tired enough of what Google provides I will just do the same I
>> did with their webmail and use another MUA, so in this case, I'll use
>> another search engine.
>
> I use two extensions and one search plugin - they live on a gmail
> account, so I install them where ever I use a browser. Generally I have
> access to my own machine - otherwise I've got USB keys (I prefer not to
> use computers I don't own).

He, nice trick that of having the addons in your Google cloud space :-)

(...)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 15/08/11 01:32, � wrote:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 00:39:05 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

On 14/08/11 23:31, � wrote:

^
You're still with the black diamond issue :-P

Yes it's a consequence of me deciding that not using UTF-8 was more
problem than using it - occasionally I flick over to the old iso to make
sure the black diamond is who I think it is.

<snipped>

Mea culpa - I thought that comment was made by Richard...

Yep, it was me.

My relation with Google is now very distant and cold. But it's not just
me who thinks in that way, the web is full of complaints about this new
Google policy of "use our services like we want to be used or fly away".

It's a natural consequence of shareholders flexing their muscles I guess
- now they're starting to tell the point-headed gits how to do their
job... every portfolio manager thinks they're Steve "throw a chair"
Balmer when they're holding blocks of shares they don't own. If I hear
Brin or Page are starting to sell shares I'd dump mine and run - it's
those folks and the brains they brought with them that make Google
attractive (that and the fact that without them it'd just be Microsoft
and Apple).

<snipped>

Politely letting them know you miss the functionality helps - Sagar
Kamdar and Matt Dunn are very nice, , smart, responsive, and helpful
(and influential). They understand tipping points and the importance of
keeping bleeding edge adopters happy. *You* should find a friendly ear
there ;-p :-D

I will take note. But again, Google forums are full of unger users about
this:

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en#sclient=psy&hl=en&complete= 0&site=webhp&source=hp&q=google+disable+autocomple te&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=43b3d7638083a689&biw= 1280&bih=888
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en#sclient=psy&hl=en&complete= 0&site=webhp&source=hp&q=google+disable+instant+pr eview&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=43b3d7638083a689&b iw=1280&bih=888

Noted: seems many of them post on youtube too :-(
Hence my use of the word "polite".

I don't know how people cope without Noscript and AdBlock Plus - that
they make Google more useable is just a bonus. Mainly the make pages
load faster and give pages back to content not annoying ads, spyware,
and bloody pop-up mouse-overs!

It's hard to believe they are not aware of this>>>:-)

<rant>
It's the nature of organisations - the people that build the products
(and care about them) get promoted to positions where they spend most of
their time in meetings, and the people on the front-line tend to be
empty headed Outlook using (no, I'm not making that up) techno fools -
with "people skills" - salespeople and *spit* marketers - making
promises the engineers can't keep. Take something beautiful and make it
ugly, mutter, mutter, mutter...</rant>

As Google has been adding more and
more services it also has started to be more and more strict to what
they services have to look like.

Some of that is understandable as the products leave beta and have to be
supported better (the Ned and Chav factor). But they could give us the
choice to between beta testing products with choices, or using the
stricter production products (closing the labs is one of my biggest
complaints).

But Google search is not in a Beta stage, right? ;-)

Google search encrypted is, and Google image comparison search, and
Google voice search...
They announced the launch of Google psychic search at the start of April
- it still doesn't seem to work... so I'm guessing that's a beta too ;-D

<snipped>

No cookies. Which don't bother me - I clear them at the start of new
sessions (and I never install flash, so flash cookies are not an
option).

Ah, okay, you are doing the same as me with the flash exception (I have
it installed, but hope the flash plugin can be finally removed from the
face of the Earth as soon as possible :-P).

Rippem down.

<snipped>

True is that I don't care about they track me. They provide a free
service and have to make money from "something". Google adds are annoying
but not the ones we encounter when using Google search, I find most
annoying the adds that another sites are using in their web pages because
they are not very well identified and clicking on them by mistake is very
easy.

Adblock - leave the ads on the server where they belong. Unless they pay
me to view their advertising they can just go and try reproduce with
themselves.

- Can you get rif off the small preview image? Nope

Do you mean those annoying mouse-over javascript pop-ups page
previews? xul-ext-noscript fixes that.

I know there are many addons to avoid that but I neither want to keep
my browser full of third-party addons... an addon to fix each of the
things Google breaks? No, thanks, better fix Google>:-)

NoScript (and that's the Debian build) is the single most useful
Iceweasel plugin (IMNSHO). AdBlock_Plus'd be the second.

I will have to review it.

What is this advertisement thing of which you speak? ;-p
NoScript and AdBlock Plus - how Google search should look, not the lack
of mouse-over annoyances:-

http://ge.tt/8b7pBo6/v/0

But I don't want to be plenty of addons! And what happens when you are
not in your computer or you use more than one browser? You have to care
about getting every addon to fix Google services just to have a happy
browsing? Nooope, not me. I'm not going to waste my time on that. When
I feel tired enough of what Google provides I will just do the same I
did with their webmail and use another MUA, so in this case, I'll use
another search engine.

I use two extensions and one search plugin - they live on a gmail
account, so I install them where ever I use a browser. Generally I have
access to my own machine - otherwise I've got USB keys (I prefer not to
use computers I don't own).

He, nice trick that of having the addons in your Google cloud space :-)

Anything I'd normally shuffle around the place or move on a USB key
lives on gmail accounts. I thought every one did the same thing... maybe
I should be reading advertisements after all (and watching that
telemavision thingie).

(...)

Greetings,

--
“We gotta come to some new ideas about life folks ok? I'm not being
blase about abortion, it might be a real issue, it might not, doesn't

~ Bill Hicks