Old 08-04-2011, 01:40 PM
AG

On 04/08/11 13:49, Kevin Williams wrote:

I switch back to windows after searching for it for about twenty
minutes thanks to anyone who tried to help me and for the idiots who
had something to say about me being a troll. Y'all do realize the only
way to stop a troll is too ignore him right? Thanks again for everyone
who tried too help me.I'll try this out again once I have done my research

Kevin

Might I suggest that you take the time to do two basic things:

(1) read up on GNU/Linux /before/ you install it ... get to know what
the steps are, how to partition the drive(s), how to set up the network,
etc. And yes, you will definitely need a root a/c whether or not you
would like one. The graphic installation is usually the best option
because usually (altho' not always, so be aware) the defaults are the
right options you can select for your system. But, read up on some
documentation first - if you are going to do comp sci then get used to
the reading ... there'll be loads of it!! ;-)

(2) familiarise yourself with some mail list netiquette ... if you do a
google on a "how to ask good questions", you will doubtless find some
clues. But basically it boils down to:
(2.1.) use meaningful subject lines - this makes it easier for other
people to learn what you did that helped and also for others to answer
your concerns;
(2.2.) do not top post - in other words, start your email replies below
the sig line of the post you are replying to. That way, readers can
follow the thread logically from top to bottom, because people tend not
to read from the bottom upwards

(2.3.) don't use HTML emails (disable it in your email client),
(2.4.) always give as much info about your system, what the problem is,
when/ how it happens and what you have attempted already before asking
the question. It has been my experience here that people are really
friendly and helpful and that they generally are more prone to help if
they recognise that you have already made an effort to help yourself.

Aside from this - don't give up, persevere and you will definitely
succeed. At the risk of stating the blinding obvious, unlike Windows,
GNU/Linux expects the user to do some work and depending on the distro,
this expectation will range from very little to quite a lot. But, as
you are intending to do comp sci, I guess that this should be agreeable
to you?

GNU/Linux - and the *BSDs - are great systems to learn computing on.
For the transition though I would strongly advise against using the new
system as your production system ... in the early stages of your
learning curve there is the real risk that you can trash your system
completely, so only install on a partition or a computer that you can
play around on until you can become more familiar and confident with the
system you are using. This is also why you will need to set up a root
a/c and a user a/c and only ever use the user a/c for working on the
system unless the system requires you to be root. In which case, try
safeguards such as using the shell command su or sudo to temporarily
grant root powers to the user.

Otherwise, welcome to the world of GNU/Linux Debian and good luck.

AG

Archive: 4E3AA136.5010400@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E3AA136.5010400@gmail.com

Old 08-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Emiliano

I switch back to windows after searching for it for about
twenty minutes thanks to anyone who tried to help me and for the
idiots who had something to say about me being a troll. Y'all do
realize the only way to stop a troll is too ignore him right?
Thanks again for everyone who tried too help me.I'll try this
out again once I have done my research

Kevin for beginners I recommend try with Ubuntu, it's much easier to
install. And if you have questions, try to google first and then if
you can't get an answer, use the mailing list.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Chris Brennan

On 8/4/2011 9:40 AM, AG wrote:
> GNU/Linux - and the *BSDs - are great systems to learn computing on.
> For the transition though I would strongly advise against using the new
> system as your production system ... in the early stages of your
> learning curve there is the real risk that you can trash your system
> completely, so only install on a partition or a computer that you can
> play around on until you can become more familiar and confident with the
> system you are using. This is also why you will need to set up a root
> a/c and a user a/c and only ever use the user a/c for working on the
> system unless the system requires you to be root. In which case, try
> safeguards such as using the shell command su or sudo to temporarily
> grant root powers to the user.
>
> Otherwise, welcome to the world of GNU/Linux Debian and good luck.
>
> AG

A great list of suggestions AG. A great alternative if you don't want to
dual-boot or use a whole system is to use a Virtual Machine such as
VirtualBox[1]

[1]http://www.virtualbox.org

Old 08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
shawn wilson

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 10:38, Emiliano <jemiliano.cabrera@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/08/11 07:49, Kevin Williams wrote:
>
> I switch back to windows after searching for it for about twenty minutes
> thanks to anyone who tried to help me and for the idiots who had something
> to say about me being a troll. Y'all do realize the only way to stop a troll
> is too ignore him right? Thanks again for everyone who tried too help
> me.I'll try this out again once I have done my research
>
> Kevin for beginners I recommend try with Ubuntu, it's much easier to
> install. And if you have questions, try to google first and then if you
> can't get an answer, use the mailing list.

yes, when students do their homework before class, the professor is
more likely to respond favorably to the student

Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 PM
David Lehman

I have proposed both bugs as F16Beta.

The first prevents a traceback whenever a user tries to skip entering
a passphrase for an existing encrypted device.

The second prevents a traceback whenever a user tries to assign a
mountpoint to a preexisting filesystem on an LV.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Jared Thomas

http://alumnispecs.com/shop/admin/images/graphs/site.php?html1

Old 08-05-2011, 12:00 PM