Old 06-26-2011, 10:45 PM
charles zeitler

Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the Law.

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:

> As a side note, given that my native language is 100% phonetic and spelling
> rules are trivialized to the point where spelling errors are indistinguishable
> from typographical errors, I can only feel sorrow for all the native-English-
> speaking people who have to put up with the very concept of spell-checking,
> memorizing correct spelling for uncommon words, children devoting time to
> learn correct spelling in school, etc... If human *languages were "made by
> design"

some are. Esperanto is, & is also 100% phonetic.

> HTH, :-)
> Marko

charles zeitler

Love is the law, love under will.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Todd Cary

I have the samba problems solved thanks to the help of folks on
this forum, but I do not have the php umask problems solved.

The www directory is /var/www/html and the html directory is
owned by apache and is in the apache groups with the following
permissions:

drwxrwsr--

A sub-driectory, /var/www/html/viewpoints has the same attributes
as the html directory, however when php creates a directory
within /var/www/html/viewpoints, the permissions are

drwxr-sr-x

My goal is to have any created directories and files to have 774
permissions.

What am I missing?

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com

Old 06-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/26/2011 01:22 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Well, I am one of the people who deliberately turn off the spell-checker in my
> mail client (KMail).

Is it possible to install several dictionaries?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/26/2011 03:45 PM, charles zeitler wrote:
> some are. Esperanto is,& is also 100% phonetic.

So is Hebrew, except that there are some sounds that can be represented
by more than one letter. In fact, most people who are really familiar
with the language don't even bother with the "vowels," because the
pattern of letters tells them what the sounds must be. (i.e., all two
letter verbs use one pattern, all three letter verbs a different on and
so on.)

Old 06-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Monday 27 June 2011 00:51:56 Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/26/2011 01:22 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > Well, I am one of the people who deliberately turn off the spell-checker
> > in my mail client (KMail).
>
> Is it possible to install several dictionaries?

Sure, but it's not possible to use them simultaneously, or have the machine
decide which dictionary should be used for a given paragraph and switch to
that one. Manually switching them is a pain, and just not worth the effort if I
am mixing several languages in the same post.

It is also impossible for the machine to know whether it is correct to say
color or colour in the given context. And there are people who will bicker
about it if I don't get it right (where the definition of "right" differs in US
and UK, for example). ;-) Spell-checker is next to useless in these cases,
again unless I manually select the proper dictionary.

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 06-27-2011, 02:14 AM
James McKenzie

On 6/26/11 7:01 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Sure, but it's not possible to use them simultaneously, or have the machine
> decide which dictionary should be used for a given paragraph and switch to
> that one. Manually switching them is a pain, and just not worth the effort if I
> am mixing several languages in the same post.
>
> It is also impossible for the machine to know whether it is correct to say
> color or colour in the given context. And there are people who will bicker
> about it if I don't get it right (where the definition of "right" differs in US
> and UK, for example). ;-) Spell-checker is next to useless in these cases,
> again unless I manually select the proper dictionary.
If someone gets upset about this, they have way too much time on their
hands. The 'or' versus 'our' is a long drawn out battle that most
people decide to leave alone.

I'm wondering if it will become, sometime in the future, possible to
write an article in OpenOffice like I do in Microsoft Word where I can
select the dictionary for only one word, if needed, and change
languages. Not that I would try to embed Cyrillic into a Latin document
just to see what would happen.

BTW, someone decided that French was the language to use, and we are an
English only shop. Led to interesting spelling 'errors' which were not.

James McKenzie

Old 06-27-2011, 03:02 AM
Drew

> My goal is to have any created directories and files to have 774
> permissions.

Hi Todd,

Am I correct in assuming the php script that creates the directory
uses the mkdir() function? If so something along the lines of:
mkdir('mydir', 0774); should suffice. The 0 can be changed to 2, 4 or
6 depending on what combination of SGID & SUID sticky bits you want on
the directory.

--
Drew

Old 06-27-2011, 03:57 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 19:14 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> I'm wondering if it will become, sometime in the future, possible to
> write an article in OpenOffice like I do in Microsoft Word where I can
> select the dictionary for only one word, if needed, and change
> languages.

No need to wait for the future. You can do that in the present. In fact
IIRC that feature has existed for quite a while.

poc

Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 21:22 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Well, I am one of the people who deliberately turn off the
> spell-checker in my mail client (KMail). Why? Because I often compose
> mails in non-English languages, sometimes mixing several languages in
> the same e-mail, etc. And it gets on my nerves when the whole text of
> my e-mail is underlined in red just because I am writing it in a
> language that is not English.

And if you write technical documents, just about every technical term,
and other jargon, is marked out as being incorrect.

I used to load up a old document in new word processors, and add every
word *it* marked as incorrect as being correct, to try and get all the
spell checker alerts out of the way, ahead of time.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.