Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 20:59:46 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> You all ain't seen nothing yet, try Johannesburg.
>
> We don't have lions and tigers in the streets but we got at least one
> of anything else that's crazy

Especially BOFH sysadmins...

--
Neil Bothwick

ISDN: It Still Does Nothing

Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 PM
walt

On 06/06/2011 05:26 AM, Indi wrote:

> The fact they carried so many of their mistakes to v3 as if they
> were treasure not to be left behind has perhaps said the most
> about why I can't recommend or support thunderbird.

I can't disagree, but I've become accustomed to its bugs

This thread is so long that I'm just tossing this idea in here
because I don't know where else to put it.

For anyone who likes to twiddle knobs, you could try this trick:

In Edit::Preferences::General there is a setting for "Thunderbird
Start Page". Enter 'about:config' for the URL and (yes, alas)
restart Thunderbird for the change to take effect. The foot-
shooting potential is mouth-watering

Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 PM
James

Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Do people down there spend an inordinate amount of time setting off
> explosives and shooting guns, like they do here in GA? Originally
> I'm from NE PA, which is a pretty redneck place. But GA is a whole
> nother thang, as they say. Most people are very nice though, it's
> refreshing. That obsession with explosions though... Nerve wracking.

You kidding? Florida issues more conceal-carry permits than the
next 3 state combined. Want the scary statistic, 75% of those
are women.

Ju want closet commando action? Check out some of my old
college buddies from Alaska:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tza2L6kfl8E&feature=youtu.be

PEACE (through superior firepower)
is the Alaskan motto....

James

Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 01:01 on Tuesday 07 June 2011, James did opine
thusly:

> Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Do people down there spend an inordinate amount of time setting off
> > explosives and shooting guns, like they do here in GA? Originally
> > I'm from NE PA, which is a pretty redneck place. But GA is a whole
> > nother thang, as they say. Most people are very nice though, it's
> > refreshing. That obsession with explosions though... Nerve wracking.
>
> You kidding? Florida issues more conceal-carry permits than the
> next 3 state combined. Want the scary statistic, 75% of those
> are women.
>
> Ju want closet commando action? Check out some of my old
> college buddies from Alaska:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tza2L6kfl8E&feature=youtu.be
>
> PEACE (through superior firepower)
> is the Alaskan motto....

WTF is that thing the ladies are firing at 1:25 and 4:25? I'll hazard a guess
at the calibre - 18mm?

And I thought the RPG7s we played with back in the day were impressive....

:-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 AM
kashani

Apparently, though unproven, at 01:01 on Tuesday 07 June 2011, James did opine
thusly:

Ju want closet commando action? Check out some of my old
college buddies from Alaska:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tza2L6kfl8E&feature=youtu.be

PEACE (through superior firepower)
is the Alaskan motto....

WTF is that thing the ladies are firing at 1:25 and 4:25? I'll hazard a guess
at the calibre - 18mm?

And I thought the RPG7s we played with back in the day were impressive....

.50 cal or 12.9mm. It's single shot bolt action so it's likely some
variation of the Barret M82 rifle though there are other systems. $6-8 a
round to shoot or maybe as low as $3 if you're using reloads.

kashani

Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

[...]

They may get away with gun control in some places but I can think of a
few I wouldn't even want to try it. lol Texas, Florida, Alaska and
actually most southeastern states and some southwestern ones too. I
don't know any law enforcement person that would want to try to take the
guns away from the folks in that video. I wouldn't for sure. I may not
be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I also ain't the dullest. O_O

That said, Louisiana always scared me the most. I have always heard
that they can kill someone and you never find the body. Lots of
alligators with healthy appetites down there. Sort of reminds me of
that roach motel. You check in but never leave. ;-)

Neat video tho. I think they were shooting sticks of dynamite at times.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Joost Roeleveld

On Monday 06 June 2011 11:55:07 Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2011-06-06 11:16 AM, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
> >> Not idea, I'll grant you, but it isn't *that* hard to do...
> >
> > If you know the different locations to change it AND realize you need to
> > restart the application for changes like these to take effect?
> > These settings should be immediately active.
>
> I didn't write the software. Wishing something a certain way doesn't
> make it so, you have to deal with things as they are.

It's still bad design.
Restarting an application when changing a config-file in a "third-party" editor.
Yes, that makes sense.
But, when changing a setting using the GUI itself, a restart should not be
necessary.

I'm not using MS Windows where a reboot is necessary for settings to become
active.

--
Joost

Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Todd Goodman

* kashani <kashani-list@badapple.net> [110606 19:37]:
> On 6/6/2011 4:31 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 01:01 on Tuesday 07 June 2011, James did opine
> > thusly:
> >
> >> Ju want closet commando action? Check out some of my old
> >> college buddies from Alaska:
> >>
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tza2L6kfl8E&feature=youtu.be
> >>
> >> PEACE (through superior firepower)
> >> is the Alaskan motto....
> >

> > WTF is that thing the ladies are firing at 1:25 and 4:25? I'll hazard a guess
> > at the calibre - 18mm?
> >
> > And I thought the RPG7s we played with back in the day were impressive....
>
> .50 cal or 12.9mm. It's single shot bolt action so it's likely some
> variation of the Barret M82 rifle though there are other systems. $6-8 a
> round to shoot or maybe as low as $3 if you're using reloads.
>
> kashani

The M82 is a 10-rd, box magazine, semi auto, not a bolt action.

It could be a Ferret (bolt action .50 upper on an AR-15 lower) or
similar.

And ammo prices have come back down after people realized the best gun
salesman in the world (Obama) wasn't going to immediately try to push
new anti-self-defense regulations.

Todd

Old 06-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Andrea Scarpino

Hi DEVs,
Florian Pritz aka Bluewind, wants to maintain OpenBox (which is currently
orphan) in [community].
I don't know if we have some policy about WMs that have to stay in [extra].

He wants to maintain the following packages in [community] too:
* obconf
* openbox
* wvdial
* wvstreams
* xbindkeys
* xplc

Do you agree with this?

--
Andrea

Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:36:09 +0200
schrieb Andrea Scarpino <andrea@archlinux.org>:

> Hi DEVs,
> Florian Pritz aka Bluewind, wants to maintain OpenBox (which is
> currently orphan) in [community].
> I don't know if we have some policy about WMs that have to stay in
> [extra].
>
> He wants to maintain the following packages in [community] too:
> * obconf
> * openbox
> * wvdial
> * wvstreams
> * xbindkeys
> * xplc
>
> Do you agree with this?

We have Lxde in extra (seems a bit unmaintained). That depends on
openbox wm. We should either keep openbox or move all Lxde to
community.

Lxdm (does not depend on openbox nor lxde but is a bit related to this)
hasn't seen much love upstream in the past, it's a candidate to drop
also. I'd like to check lightdm as a possible repleace for lxdm in
extra.

-Andy