Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Indi

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:58:55 +0200
Sebastian Beßler <sebastian@darkmetatron.de> wrote:

> Am 06.06.2011 16:48, schrieb Indi:
>
> > Very first thing I tried after realizing they stupidly didn't allow
> > it in the config options was
> >
> > /* Global UI font */
> > * { font-size: 32px !important;
> > font-family: DejaVu Sans Mono !important;
> > }
> >
> > Zero results.
>
> That looks right.
> Where in your profile have you saved the userChrome.css?
> It has to be save in the profile subfolder chrome and must be named
> userChrome.css (with uppercase C)
>

> Anywhere else don't work.
>
> My userChrome.css is under:
> ~/.thunderbird/mg8sw72k.default/chrome/userChrome.css

Yes, tried that and even tried chmodding it to root
and putting it in /usr/lib/thunderbird/chrome/.

Maybe we should also both remember that I *am* running ~x86?

But really, it's a basic functionality that my users would need *me*
to do for them -- that alone makes it rather undesirable from my POV,
surely you can imagine.

Now this, OTOH, is being composed in claws-mail which was
extraordinarily easy to setup and customize. Unlike thunderbird,
claws-mail wisely bows to gtk theming rather than trying to be
oh-so-cute and special with it's unique themes.

Of course, since I use terminator and firefox gtk theming is
well within my comfort zone so, claws-mail is easy peasy in that
regard.

I'm thinking this is the one I can put people on without upsetting
anyone.

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

Old 06-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Sebastian Beler

Am 06.06.2011 17:18, schrieb Indi:

> Maybe we should also both remember that I *am* running ~x86?

That should make now difference, my girlfriend uses ~x86 on her laptop
and there thunderbird reads and applies the userChrome.css just like
here with my ~amd64 thunderbird.

The programmcode for 32bit and 64bit thunderbird is for all parts that
has to do with chrome-rendering absolut the same.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Indi

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:13:39 +0200
Sebastian Beßler <sebastian@darkmetatron.de> wrote:

> As an extension of my previous mail there is although the addon
> stylish that can be used to set all that without the need to restart
> thunderbird for every change.
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/stylish/

Wow, can't believe stylish didn't show up while searching for
"accessibility" and "fonts"! Bonehead search engine...

Stylish is exactly the right thing, at least in firefox. It's what
allows me to make many web pages readable (that and the "View.Page
Style.No Style" menu option, which I have bound to the "x" key).
*If* that works in tbird3 it probably would address my problem.

Unfortunately for the tbird devs, all that stuff is not a bit obvious
and so they lose out to the far more common sense option of claws-mail.
Fonts, address book, and everything else so far Just Works.
Virtually idiot-proof, which is great news for me! It means I won't have
to spend 10 minutes of every other hour the next three months explaining
how to do simple things in email and listening to people whine
about it.

So my plan is to preset thunderbird as a last resort unsupported option
for those who dislike the options I'm supporting, which are mutt,
evolution, and claws-mail. Everybody seems to hate mutt and evolution,
though, and amazingly at least two still mention how much they miss
having Outhouse Distress...

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

Old 06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Indi

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:28:14 +0200
Sebastian Beßler <sebastian@darkmetatron.de> wrote:

> Am 06.06.2011 17:18, schrieb Indi:
>
> > Maybe we should also both remember that I *am* running ~x86?
> >

> That should make now difference, my girlfriend uses ~x86 on her laptop
> and there thunderbird reads and applies the userChrome.css just like
> here with my ~amd64 thunderbird.
>
> The programmcode for 32bit and 64bit thunderbird is for all parts that
> has to do with chrome-rendering absolut the same.

Could be an xulrunner issue going on, I suppose.
It's just thunderbrd is too fussy for my people anyway.
It will make them more dependent upon me, which is the opposite
of what we want here.

Ho jeez, enough testing of this GUI editor though!
Not being able to move around with hjkl is weird.
Next we'll see how claws does with vim for an editor, and keybindngs...

I prefer my mouse dusty.

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

Old 06-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2011-06-06 11:16 AM, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
> All you have to do is first tell Thunderbird which folders you want to use:
>> Tools > Accounts Settings > Copies & Folders
>>
>> For Trash:
>>
>> Tools > Accounts Settings > Server Settings > When I delete a message:

> 2 different locations to configure the "default" folders?

Only the trash is configured in a different way, but for now, yes...

>> Then restart Thunderbird, then you can delete the folders it created
>> automatically...

> Restart to make changes active?

Yes...

>> Not idea, I'll grant you, but it isn't *that* hard to do...

> If you know the different locations to change it AND realize you need to
> restart the application for changes like these to take effect?
> These settings should be immediately active.

I didn't write the software. Wishing something a certain way doesn't
make it so, you have to deal with things as they are.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Indi

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:07:28 -0400
Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> On 2011-06-06 10:48 AM, Indi wrote:
> > At one point it was far more specific with a number of individual
> > fonts listed, not one of them worked.
>
> Did you make the change while Thunderbird was running?

No.

> Also - 32px would be HUGE... the 22px in the example I gave you was
> way too big to be useful, so maybe there is a limit to how big you
> can make the font - try something smaller FIRST...

Uh, no. I will decide what's "too big to be usable", not the software,
thank you.

--
caveat utilitor
♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫

Old 06-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Sebastian Beler

Am 06.06.2011 17:55, schrieb Indi:

> Uh, no. I will decide what's "too big to be usable", not the software,
> thank you.

It is not really the software that decides that. Thunderbird is a gui
application and all guis have limitations that they have to cope with.
Thunderbird with its mostly fixed panes can only tolerate a limited
range of font-sizes. To big and it breaks.

There is not much that can be done about it.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Indi

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 05:28:14PM +0200, Sebastian Beler wrote:
> Am 06.06.2011 17:18, schrieb Indi:
>
> > Maybe we should also both remember that I *am* running ~x86?
> >

> That should make now difference, my girlfriend uses ~x86 on her laptop
> and there thunderbird reads and applies the userChrome.css just like
> here with my ~amd64 thunderbird.
>
> The programmcode for 32bit and 64bit thunderbird is for all parts that
> has to do with chrome-rendering absolut the same.

BTW, the testing I did was with version 3.1.10, and with portage
building it, rather than using thunderbird-bin. The version of
xulrunner is 2.0.1-r1i, which seems to be working just fine with
both firefox and conkeror (no, I don't mean "konqueror").

Just in case anyone's keeping score and needs the info.

--
klaatu virada nicto

Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Indi

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 06:34:34PM +0200, Sebastian Beler wrote:
> Am 06.06.2011 17:55, schrieb Indi:
>
> > Uh, no. I will decide what's "too big to be usable", not the software,
> > thank you.
>
> It is not really the software that decides that. Thunderbird is a gui
> application and all guis have limitations that they have to cope with.
> Thunderbird with its mostly fixed panes can only tolerate a limited
> range of font-sizes. To big and it breaks.
>
> There is not much that can be done about it.

Thanks, my vision didn't just go bad this morning, so I do have plenty
of fonts experience.

--
klaatu virada nicto

Old 06-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Indi

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 12:38:08PM -0400, Indi wrote:

> xulrunner is 2.0.1-r1i

Should say "2.0.1-r1", sorry.

--
klaatu virada nicto