Old 06-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2011-06-06 8:44 AM, Indi wrote:
> You need to realize you're giving advice about the windows version of
> thunderbird. IOW you can stop now!

As I said, there is nothing indicating that userChrome.css hacks are not
cross-platform. I really did think they were. Also, I *did* state in my
initial post that I was on Windows...

Can anyone else confirm this non crosee-platform nature of the
userChrome.css hacks?

I'll go see if I can find out more details on how/when/why these hacks
work cross platform...

Old 06-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Sebastian Be▀ler

Am 06.06.2011 14:44, schrieb Indi:

> You need to realize you're giving advice about the windows version of
> thunderbird. IOW you can stop now!

I use Thunderbird here runnung on my beloved gentoo and all that
Tanstaafl wrote just works here too.

So if it does not work for you it most likely is something on your side.

Greetings

Sebastian

Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Indi

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 03:47:33PM +0200, Sebastian Be▀ler wrote:
> Am 06.06.2011 14:44, schrieb Indi:
> >
> > You need to realize you're giving advice about the windows version of
> > thunderbird. IOW you can stop now!
>
> I use Thunderbird here runnung on my beloved gentoo and all that
> Tanstaafl wrote just works here too.
>
> So if it does not work for you it most likely is something on your side.

I see you are also not using the same version though, your header
says "Linux x86_64". Also obviously sometimes we see things like
someone installs v2.8 and their config lives through 3.5, by which time
the config GUI has been wrecked and the user insists what they did works
(and it did, in v2.8), on and on.

Anyway it's over.
The important information is it will fail the users who need everything to
Just Work and need larger fonts.

If you (or if anyone using it *on* *linux*) manage(s) to double the
size of the default fonts in the folder list and message list I'll
listen, but otherwise I'm done looking at that and have seen enough
of it to feel justified with that decision. It *is* only one of many
things I have to investigate today, you know.

Also, a lot of people seem to be confused about which font I'm talking
about. They seem to think you just go into settings and change "the
fonts", but those are only for the message body. The folder list and
message list are stubbornly tiny.

Finally, the fact that they have add-ons,. extensions, themes, and all that
and not a single thing comes up searching for "accessibility" or "fonts"
is a pretty strong clue...

--
klaatu virada nicto

Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Sebastian Be▀ler

Am 06.06.2011 16:24, schrieb Indi:

> If you (or if anyone using it *on* *linux*) manage(s) to double the
> size of the default fonts in the folder list and message list I'll
> listen,

You mean something like this?
http://twitpic.com/57u6s9

It works just like Tanstaafl said with userChrome.css

Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Indi

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 09:37:26AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2011-06-06 8:44 AM, Indi wrote:
> > You need to realize you're giving advice about the windows version of
> > thunderbird. IOW you can stop now!
>
> As I said, there is nothing indicating that userChrome.css hacks are not
> cross-platform. I really did think they were. Also, I *did* state in my
> initial post that I was on Windows...

Ah so you did, I apologize then for not paying close enough attention.

> Can anyone else confirm this non crosee-platform nature of the
> userChrome.css hacks?

The *only* info I can find on userChrome.css for tbird3 was on some
mozilla support url where it mentions that userChrome.css from v2
will not work in v3. It does not then go on to say what changes were
made, how to compensate, or offer even one more word about it!
I'm sure it's documented somewhere, but documentation is extremely
important, and the fact that tbird's is horribly lacking means
it gets "last resort" status. Remember, this isn't for me it's
for people who are quite helpless when things don't work as
advertised.

STFW reveals that many people used userChrome.css in tbird2
but apparently no-one knows how to make it work in tbird3.

--
klaatu virada nicto

Old 06-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Indi

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 04:33:20PM +0200, Sebastian Be▀ler wrote:
> Am 06.06.2011 16:24, schrieb Indi:
>
> > If you (or if anyone using it *on* *linux*) manage(s) to double the
> > size of the default fonts in the folder list and message list I'll
> > listen,
>
> You mean something like this?
> http://twitpic.com/57u6s9
>
> It works just like Tanstaafl said with userChrome.css

Very first thing I tried after realizing they stupidly didn't allow
it in the config options was

/* Global UI font */
* { font-size: 32px !important;
font-family: DejaVu Sans Mono !important;
}

Zero results.
At one point it was far more specific with a number of individual
fonts listed, not one of them worked.

I can only conclude there is a vast gulf of difference between the
version you're using and the version I tested.
You seem eager to conclude other things, but that's your problem

--
klaatu virada nicto

Old 06-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Sebastian Be▀ler

Am 06.06.2011 16:48, schrieb Indi:

> Very first thing I tried after realizing they stupidly didn't allow
> it in the config options was
>
> /* Global UI font */
> * { font-size: 32px !important;
> font-family: DejaVu Sans Mono !important;
> }
>
> Zero results.

That looks right.
Where in your profile have you saved the userChrome.css?
It has to be save in the profile subfolder chrome and must be named
userChrome.css (with uppercase C)

Anywhere else don't work.

My userChrome.css is under:
~/.thunderbird/mg8sw72k.default/chrome/userChrome.css

Greetings

Sebastian

Old 06-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2011-06-06 10:48 AM, Indi wrote:
> At one point it was far more specific with a number of individual
> fonts listed, not one of them worked.

Did you make the change while Thunderbird was running?

As I said, changes to userChromes.css MUST be done while it is NOT
running, otherwise they WILL NOT WORK.

Also - 32px would be HUGE... the 22px in the example I gave you was way
too big to be useful, so maybe there is a limit to how big you can make
the font - try something smaller FIRST...

If you did, then the only other thing I can think of is your pterodactyl
(or whatever it was) or something else you have running is interfering
in some way with it.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Sebastian Be▀ler

As an extension of my previous mail there is although the addon stylish
that can be used to set all that without the need to restart thunderbird
for every change.

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/stylish/

Old 06-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Joost Roeleveld

On Monday 06 June 2011 08:36:47 Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2011-06-06 8:26 AM, Indi wrote:
> > It forces one to log into the IMAP server manually and restore order,
> > as the configuration dialog gives no way of doing that. Then, making
> > sure tbird is not running, one must go into ~/.thunderbird/, find the
> > files that specify IMAp and local folders, figure out the syntax, and
> > edit accoringly. It's a ridiculous amount of hoops to force a user to
> > jump through, downright user-hostile in fact.
>
> Eh??
>
> All you have to do is first tell Thunderbird which folders you want to use:
>
> Tools > Accounts Settings > Copies & Folders
>
> For Trash:
>
> Tools > Accounts Settings > Server Settings > When I delete a message:

2 different locations to configure the "default" folders?

> Then restart Thunderbird, then you can delete the folders it created
> automatically...

Restart to make changes active?

> Not idea, I'll grant you, but it isn't *that* hard to do...

If you know the different locations to change it AND realize you need to
restart the application for changes like these to take effect?
These settings should be immediately active.

--
Joost