Old 04-03-2011, 02:02 AM
luis jure

on 2011-04-02 at 19:38 Willie Wong wrote:

>look at app-text/pdfjam

hi, thanks for the suggestion, although i couldn't find any command
appropriate to what i want to do.

BTW, i have another one: how to remove all bookmarks form a pdf? (from the
command line, i mean)

Old 04-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

This patch for distutils.eclass is divided into 13 subpatches.

Subpatch #1 bans DISTUTILS_DISABLE_VERSIONING_OF_PYTHON_SCRIPTS variable (too late).
Subpatch #2 removes 2 functions banned long time ago.
Subpatch #3 adds handling of *-nspkg.pth files in distutils_src_install().
Subpatch #4 adds missing sanity checks for execution of python_pkg_setup() in EAPI >=4.
Subpatch #5 adds support for EAPI="4" in handling of DOCS variable.
Subpatch #6 disables installation of useless files.
Subpatch #7 adds sanity checks for appropriateness of execution of distutils_pkg_postinst()
and distutils_pkg_postrm().
Subpatch #8 adds support for EAPI="4" in handling of DISTUTILS_GLOBAL_OPTIONS array.
Subpatch #9 adds distutils_get_intermediate_installation_image() function, which will be
used in a small number of ebuilds, which currently rely on knowledge of implementation
details of distutils.eclass.
Subpatch #10 adds support for automatic changing of current working directory in handling
of DISTUTILS_SETUP_FILES (in all EAPIs).
Example:
# Change current working directory to bindings/python and execute setup.py
DISTUTILS_SETUP_FILES=("bindings/python|setup.py")
Subpatch #11 adds sanity checks for arguments in some functions.
Subpatch #12 adds unsetting of some internal functions after using of them.
Subpatch #13 moves declaration of local variables to other places for consistency with
python.eclass.

I'm planning to commit this patch in 1 week.

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

Old 04-03-2011, 07:54 PM
David Jardine

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 03:08:55PM -0400, Doug wrote:

> This is grossly off topic, but since it's here, i _must_ answer:
>
> Thank God there is no "English Academy."

As a native English speaker I entirely agree, but I can understand the
frustrations of others who are effectively forced to use our language as
a lingua franca and cannot find a single, stable definition of it.

> In France, their Academy
> has the force and power
> of law. It is _illegal_ to name anything public in English. If you
> have a store and call it by an English
> name you will be forced to change it to something French. The only
> exception I have heard of
> is "Le Drugstore." I don't know how they get away with it.

What populist propaganda have you been reading? How do they say
"Disneyland" in French?

> If English, either British or American, had such an academy, we
> would still be speaking the
> language of Henry VIII! And we would never have had the opportunity
> to get rid of the French
> spelling of things like "centre."

... or "table" ? Come on! A nationalistic dictionary compiler (anti-
British rather than anti-French) caught the mood of the times and you all
lapped it up. I don't know if England had its own xenophobic equivalents,
but I think the English would be less likely to accept changes of spelling
decreed from above.

> The French may hate everything English, but those of us who speak
> any variety of English
> appreciate its variety, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

But is it _our_ language any more?

Cheers,
David

Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Ron Johnson

This is grossly off topic, but since it's here, i _must_ answer:

Thank God there is no "English Academy."

As a native English speaker I entirely agree, but I can understand the
frustrations of others who are effectively forced to use our language as
a lingua franca and cannot find a single, stable definition of it.

Kinda like Spanish...

In France, their Academy
has the force and power
of law. It is _illegal_ to name anything public in English. If you
have a store and call it by an English
name you will be forced to change it to something French. The only
exception I have heard of
is "Le Drugstore." I don't know how they get away with it.

What populist propaganda have you been reading? How do they say
"Disneyland" in French?

Terre de Disney?
Terre de Souris?

If English, either British or American, had such an academy, we
would still be speaking the
language of Henry VIII! And we would never have had the opportunity
to get rid of the French
spelling of things like "centre."

... or "table" ? Come on! A nationalistic dictionary compiler (anti-
British

Webster completed his /American Dictionary/ while at U. Cambridge.
Would an anti-Brit really go to England to do his work?

rather than anti-French) caught the mood of the times and you all
lapped it up.

That can only happen when there's no canon. spelling is in flux.

I don't know if England had its own xenophobic equivalents,
but I think the English would be less likely to accept changes of spelling
decreed from above.

Above? Webster didn't get his dictionary mandated by the government.

Anyway, two words: Samuel Johnson.

The French may hate everything English, but those of us who speak
any variety of English
appreciate its variety, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

But is it _our_ language any more?

Not after you beggared yourself after the two World Wars.

corrupt."

Archive: 4D98D5F3.4040309@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D98D5F3.4040309@cox.net

Old 04-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Chris Jackson

Not sure I want to get into this - but ...

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/03/2011 02:54 PM, David Jardine wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 03:08:55PM -0400, Doug wrote:
>>> has the force and power
>>> of law. It is _illegal_ to name anything public in English. If you
>>> have a store and call it by an English
>>> name you will be forced to change it to something French. The only
>>> exception I have heard of
>>> is "Le Drugstore." I don't know how they get away with it.
>>
>> What populist propaganda have you been reading? How do they say
>> "Disneyland" in French?
>>

> Terre de Disney?
> Terre de Souris?

A glance here reveals several restaurants in Paris that seem to be
willing to break the law in that case:

http://www.placesinfrance.com/restaurants_in_paris_france.html

>>> If English, either British or American, had such an academy, we
>>> would still be speaking the
>>> language of Henry VIII! And we would never have had the opportunity
>>> to get rid of the French
>>> spelling of things like "centre."
>>
>> ... or "table" ? Come on! A nationalistic dictionary compiler (anti-
>> British
>
> Webster completed his /American Dictionary/ while at U. Cambridge.
> Would an anti-Brit really go to England to do his work?

Interestingly, Samuel Johnson's admiration for the French Academy was
what inspired him to write his dictionary, and it seems it was in part
due to this admiration he chose the French-style spellings. "Center"
etc. was more common before that.

No political points, just observations

--
Chris Jackson
Shadowcat Systems Ltd.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Heddle Weaver

[...]

I don't think they have, 'Disneyland'.

If English, either British or American, had such an academy, we

would still be speaking the

language of Henry VIII! *And we would never have had the opportunity

to get rid of the French

spelling of things like "centre."

... or "table" ? *Come on! *A nationalistic dictionary compiler (anti-

British

Webster completed his /American Dictionary/ while at U. Cambridge. Would an anti-Brit really go to England to do his work?
To study the enemy and sow dissension.

* * * *rather than anti-French) caught the mood of the times and you all

lapped it up.

That can only happen when there's no canon. spelling is in flux.
You don't even use capital letters at the beginning of sentences any more.

* * * * * * *I don't know if England had its own xenophobic equivalents,

but I think the English would be less likely to accept changes of spelling

decreed from above.

Above? *Webster didn't get his dictionary mandated by the government.

Anyway, two words: Samuel Johnson.
He just cleaned up the mess that the French, Germans and Romans had made of the language.*

The French may hate everything English, but those of us who speak

any variety of English

appreciate its variety, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

But is it _our_ language any more?

Not after you beggared yourself after the two World Wars.

That wouldn't have mattered if you lot hadn't stolen America from us.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 03 April 2011 22:55:22 Heddle Weaver wrote:
> I don't think they have, 'Disneyland'.

I'm afraid that they do, and it is called Disneyland Paris.

Lisi

Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Ron Johnson

What populist propaganda have you been reading? How do they say
"Disneyland" in French?

Terre de Disney?
Terre de Souris?

I don't think they have, 'Disneyland'.

You're kidding, right? http://idf.disneylandparis.fr/ It's only been
open for 20 years.

If English, either British or American, had such an academy, we

would still be speaking the
language of Henry VIII! And we would never have had the opportunity
to get rid of the French
spelling of things like "centre."

... or "table" ? Come on! A nationalistic dictionary compiler (anti-
British

Webster completed his /American Dictionary/ while at U. Cambridge. Would an
anti-Brit really go to England to do his work?

To study the enemy and sow dissension.

Snicker.

rather than anti-French) caught the mood of the times and you all

lapped it up.

That can only happen when there's no canon. spelling is in flux.

You don't even use capital letters at the beginning of sentences any more.

My children do.

I don't know if England had its own xenophobic equivalents,

but I think the English would be less likely to accept changes of spelling
decreed from above.

Above? Webster didn't get his dictionary mandated by the government.

Anyway, two words: Samuel Johnson.

He just cleaned up the mess that the French, Germans and Romans had made of
the language.

On the contrary. Johnson added "re" because of his Francophilia.

The French may hate everything English, but those of us who speak

any variety of English
appreciate its variety, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

But is it _our_ language any more?

Not after you beggared yourself after the two World Wars.

That wouldn't have mattered if you lot hadn't stolen America from us.

Telling Englishmen that they're Englishmen but don't have the rights of
Englishmen isn't the brightest way to hold together your Empire.

corrupt."

Archive: 4D98FA95.2000802@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D98FA95.2000802@cox.net

Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Christopher Judd

On Sunday 03 April 2011 16:17:55 Ron Johnson wrote:

> > What populist propaganda have you been reading? How do they say
> > "Disneyland" in French?
>
> Terre de Disney?
> Terre de Souris?

Actually, the French (in France) disdain direct translations of English
phrases, and will generally use the English term, or invent a separate, French
one. The Qubecois, on the other hand, use direct translation quite a bit.
So you have "le hot dog" in Paris, but "le chien chaud" in Montral.

-Chris

| Christopher Judd, Ph. D. |
| Research Scientist III |
| NYS Dept. of Health judd@wadsworth.org |
| Wadsworth Center - ESP |
| P. O. Box 509 518 486-7829 |
| Albany, NY 12201-0509 |

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It
is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Oon-Ee Ng

Re-subject - this is going OT.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Peter Lewis <plewis@aur.archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2011, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
>> I'll correct myself then, gmail+pentadactyl does not like the
>> combination of mailing lists I'm on. Some of them are badly configured
>> (thankfully none of the Arch ones) and have to be used with
>> reply-to-all, hence sometimes I press the wrong button, not
>> remembering which list I'm on.
>>
>> When I was using Evolution it was easy, Ctrl-L (reply-to-list) did
>> everything for me, but with web gmail there's no such button and I
>> have to remember whether to reply/reply-all depending on the list.
>> I'll try not to make the mistake again =).
>
> Umm... then don't use it, then, in favour of a client that works?
>
> Seriously though, I've never used GMail, but I see so many people on various
> lists apologising for the way it handles email. Just don't do it, kids.
>
> </blowtorch>

Gmail's web interface has THE best approach to threading. Ever. If you
have any other suggestion (web client or linux desktop client) which
comes anywhere close please let me know. Evolution's threading just
doesn't cut it, thunderbird's new one is close, but thunderbird is
basically a mouse-only interface, the keyboard shortcuts are so
horrific (and muttator is an abortion of a project AFAICS).

I've spent quite some time exploring the options, and settled on this.
Ideas always welcome, of course.