Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Fri, March 4, 2011 14:12, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>
>> --On Thursday, March 03, 2011 10:11 AM -0500 Digimer
>> <linux@alteeve.com
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> How about the rest of you? What are you looking forward to in
>>> CentOS 6 when it is released?
>>
>> A new Ruby
>
> +1

I solved this problem on my 5.5 servers in the following manner:

login: not_as_root_user
. . .
$ # Add rpmforge repos to yum per:
$ # http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge
$ sudo yum install checkinstall
$ wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/ruby-1.8.7-p334.tar.gz
$ # to get latest or most desired source change version as required
$ tar -xzf ruby-1.8.7-p334.tar.gz
$ # expand source archives in /tmp
$ cd ruby-1.8.7-p334
$ # change to source directory
$ ./configure
$ # configure makefile for this host
$ make
$ # build the Ruby VM
$ checkinstall
$ # package ruby VM and suppport files as an RPM package
$ sudo yum localinstall
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/ruby-1.8.7-p334-1.i386.rpm
--nogpgcheck
$ # install the rpm package from the checkinstall location

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 03-06-2011, 05:57 AM
Joost Roeleveld

On Sunday 27 February 2011 10:01:42 dhk wrote:
> I have a new laptop that I need to set up for dual booting. As much as
> I despise Microsoft, I have to use it for certain things. Such as some
> obscure peripherals, like my slide photo scanner, it doesn't support
> Linux and TD Ameritrade's streaming Java tools don't work the same as on
> Linux. Until corporation's smarten up Microsoft will be a problem.

Might not be entirely what you're looking for, but when I borrowed a slide
photo-scanner, I also wasn't able to get it to work with Sane.
I did, however, manage to run the scanner from an MS windows onstall under
Virtualbox and passing the USB-slide scanner to that VM.

I actually got better speed that way then when running MS Windows natively.
(scan-speed, that is)

--
Joost

Old 03-06-2011, 01:14 PM