Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 02/23/2011 01:38 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 02/22/2011 06:41 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
>> That prelink patch is very, very unlikely to cause the issue. It was also the
>> only change between 2.13-3 and 2.13-4... As I pointed out, there are other
>> distros using that patch without reported issue and it is now in glibc mainline
>> so nothing is obviously wrong with it. Also, I have had no other crash reports
>> since this update...
>>

>> I just looked back through this thread and your backtraces are all over the
>> place. First it was an issue with libxcb, and then on a different VM it is
>> somewhere completely different. What is difference across your VMs that you
>> get consistent crashes in one but not the other?
>>
>> Allan
>
> The basic x86_64 Arch VMs are the SAME VM, just moved from one box to the other
> (one on my laptop copied from my backup server where it was originally
> installed). The packages are identical on the VMs except on the first I had
> rebuilt libxcb and glibc with options(!strip) and CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g".
>
> I will rebuild Trinity and update both VMs and then give updated .kcrashes for
> each. If 2.13-3 works fine and 2.13-4 causes the crash, it just points to some
> unintended consequence in the update. I'll rebuild, update both and report back.
> But if Baho is also seeing something -- the plot thickens.

I have rebuilt libxcb with !strip and CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g". I have rebuild glibc
with !strip and CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g" ...and... removed all the 'manual strip'
calls from the bottom of the package() function. The kdesktop crash happens just
as before, but now all the ? marks are gone from the backtrace. The new
backtrace with full information is:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/trinity/arch/err/x86_64-archangel/kdesktop+libxcb+glibc-debug_03.kcrash

before removing the 'manual strip' info from package() it was:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/trinity/arch/err/x86_64-archangel/kdesktop+libxcb+glibc-debug_02.kcrash

This is with Virtualbox 3.2.10. So I upgraded to 4.0.4 to see if there was any
change... There wasn't anything I noticed. Same kdesktop crash:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/trinity/arch/err/x86_64-archangel/kdesktop+libxcb+glibc-debug_04.kcrash

I have no idea what the error means, but it looks like malloc is complaining
about corruption?

#8 0x00007f3550d27b96 in malloc_printerr (action=3, str=0x7f3550dd6a2e
"malloc(): memory corruption", ptr=<value optimized out>) at malloc.c:6283
#9 0x00007f3550d2a4ad in _int_malloc (av=0x7f3551012ea0, bytes=16) at malloc.c:4396
#10 0x00007f3550d2c460 in __libc_malloc (bytes=16) at malloc.c:3660

I'll also follow up with the Trinity folks because I have just tried downgrading
to glibc 2.13-3 and I'm still getting the error on x86_64. No issues with i686
though??

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 02/23/2011 04:53 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> I have no idea what the error means, but it looks like malloc is complaining
> about corruption?
>
> #8 0x00007f3550d27b96 in malloc_printerr (action=3, str=0x7f3550dd6a2e
> "malloc(): memory corruption", ptr=<value optimized out>) at malloc.c:6283
> #9 0x00007f3550d2a4ad in _int_malloc (av=0x7f3551012ea0, bytes=16) at malloc.c:4396
> #10 0x00007f3550d2c460 in __libc_malloc (bytes=16) at malloc.c:3660
>
> I'll also follow up with the Trinity folks because I have just tried downgrading
> to glibc 2.13-3 and I'm still getting the error on x86_64. No issues with i686
> though??

Hmm.. This is looking like it is a memory corruption in VMs with glibc > ~ 2.11.
I'll dump building in Virtualbox and setup a new x86_64 box for the purpose. If
you have any other thoughts/ideas on the glibc/VM issue, I'd welcome them.

What this seems to indicate is that you can no longer rely on building in a
clean VirtualBox Arch VM. This problem is more acute for large projects with
multiple layers of dependencies where an archroot proves difficult for managing
dependencies for packages later in the build order.

Any other choices for a clean build environment that doesn't involve a VM or
archroot -- other than dumping an existing install and starting fresh?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Allan McRae

#8 0x00007f3550d27b96 in malloc_printerr (action=3, str=0x7f3550dd6a2e
"malloc(): memory corruption", ptr=<value optimized out>) at malloc.c:6283
#9 0x00007f3550d2a4ad in _int_malloc (av=0x7f3551012ea0, bytes=16) at malloc.c:4396
#10 0x00007f3550d2c460 in __libc_malloc (bytes=16) at malloc.c:3660

I'll also follow up with the Trinity folks because I have just tried downgrading
to glibc 2.13-3 and I'm still getting the error on x86_64. No issues with i686
though??

Hmm.. This is looking like it is a memory corruption in VMs with glibc> ~ 2.11.
I'll dump building in Virtualbox and setup a new x86_64 box for the purpose. If
you have any other thoughts/ideas on the glibc/VM issue, I'd welcome them.

Never heard of that. Do you have a link? I was thinking that this was
a treading issue further up the stack... (libxcb??)

What this seems to indicate is that you can no longer rely on building in a
clean VirtualBox Arch VM. This problem is more acute for large projects with
multiple layers of dependencies where an archroot proves difficult for managing
dependencies for packages later in the build order.

I use makechrootpkg -r /root/of/chroot -- -i. That tells makepkg to
install after building and the lack of -c means the chroot cleaning does
not occur so those packages stay installed.

The other option is to set-up a repo in your chroot with your currently
built packages. That way the dependencies get pulled in as needed.
There should be flags for that in makechrootpkg too.

Any other choices for a clean build environment that doesn't involve a VM or
archroot -- other than dumping an existing install and starting fresh?

If this is virtualbox specific, I'd try qemu-kvm.

Allan

Old 02-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Allan McRae

The python 3.2 rebuild is completed. Everything that needed (and hopefully
nothing that did not...) was moved into [testing].

Thank you to everyone who helped out on this rebuild !

Good work Stéphane. Everything still appears to be working for me.

Allan

Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 02/23/2011 07:38 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 24/02/11 10:15, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> On 02/23/2011 04:53 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>>> I have no idea what the error means, but it looks like malloc is complaining
>>> about corruption?
>>>
>>> #8 0x00007f3550d27b96 in malloc_printerr (action=3, str=0x7f3550dd6a2e
>>> "malloc(): memory corruption", ptr=<value optimized out>) at malloc.c:6283
>>> #9 0x00007f3550d2a4ad in _int_malloc (av=0x7f3551012ea0, bytes=16) at
>>> malloc.c:4396
>>> #10 0x00007f3550d2c460 in __libc_malloc (bytes=16) at malloc.c:3660
>>>
>>> I'll also follow up with the Trinity folks because I have just tried downgrading
>>> to glibc 2.13-3 and I'm still getting the error on x86_64. No issues with i686
>>> though??
>>>

>> Hmm.. This is looking like it is a memory corruption in VMs with glibc> ~ 2.11.
>> I'll dump building in Virtualbox and setup a new x86_64 box for the purpose. If
>> you have any other thoughts/ideas on the glibc/VM issue, I'd welcome them.
>
> Never heard of that. Do you have a link? I was thinking that this was a
> treading issue further up the stack... (libxcb??)

No link. One of the guys on the Trinity list mentioned the problem, and googling
turned up a related glibc bug fixed 1/14/2011

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7981

I don't know why the internals of a VM would cause the memory corruption entry
in the backtrace (but then again.. I don't know enough about it to know

>> What this seems to indicate is that you can no longer rely on building in a
>> clean VirtualBox Arch VM. This problem is more acute for large projects with
>> multiple layers of dependencies where an archroot proves difficult for managing
>> dependencies for packages later in the build order.
>
> I use makechrootpkg -r /root/of/chroot -- -i. That tells makepkg to install
> after building and the lack of -c means the chroot cleaning does not occur so
> those packages stay installed.

I had set up an archroot with an internal repository under
<archroot>/root/chrepo. On i686 it would load the packages as needed. On x86_64
it wasn't behaving correctly at all. (same pacman.conf, etc..) I had used
makechrootpkg -r /root/of/chroot -- -i to manually install packages but ran into
problems so I switched to Virtualbox which was working *perfectly* until I ran
into this glibc/libxcb issue.

(Virtualbox still works perfectly for building and running Trinity, it's just
this issues that has me questioning if vbox is causing problems)

I'm about to dump kde4 and kdemod3 from an old laptop drive I've got and test
the issue on a native x86_64 outside of a VM. I'll let you know how it goes.

If I can get you anything else from the install that has the glibc or libxcb
issue, let me know and I'm happy to do it.

BTW: I've tested the kdemod3 update based on Trinity 3.5.12 on both i686 and
x86_64 and they seem to run fine.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:49 AM
Attila

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:38:42 +1000 Allan McRae wrote:

> If this is virtualbox specific, I'd try qemu-kvm.

If you want to do this than this can save your time:

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/convert-virtualbox-vdi-to-kvm-qcow

Personally i would use qed with the new qemu-kmv 0.14.0 instead of
qcow. But the handling with virtualbox is easier so David see this only
as an information and not as an suggestion.

See you, Attila

Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 02/23/2011 08:37 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 02/23/2011 07:38 PM, Allan McRae wrote:

>>> Hmm.. This is looking like it is a memory corruption in VMs with glibc> ~ 2.11.
>>> I'll dump building in Virtualbox and setup a new x86_64 box for the purpose. If
>>> you have any other thoughts/ideas on the glibc/VM issue, I'd welcome them.
>>
>> Never heard of that. Do you have a link? I was thinking that this was a
>> treading issue further up the stack... (libxcb??)
>
> No link. One of the guys on the Trinity list mentioned the problem, and googling
> turned up a related glibc bug fixed 1/14/2011
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7981
>
> I don't know why the internals of a VM would cause the memory corruption entry
> in the backtrace (but then again.. I don't know enough about it to know
>

>>> What this seems to indicate is that you can no longer rely on building in a
>>> clean VirtualBox Arch VM. This problem is more acute for large projects with
>>> multiple layers of dependencies where an archroot proves difficult for managing
>>> dependencies for packages later in the build order.
>>
>> I use makechrootpkg -r /root/of/chroot -- -i. That tells makepkg to install
>> after building and the lack of -c means the chroot cleaning does not occur so
>> those packages stay installed.
>>

> I had set up an archroot with an internal repository under
> <archroot>/root/chrepo. On i686 it would load the packages as needed. On x86_64
> it wasn't behaving correctly at all. (same pacman.conf, etc..) I had used
> makechrootpkg -r /root/of/chroot -- -i to manually install packages but ran into
> problems so I switched to Virtualbox which was working *perfectly* until I ran
> into this glibc/libxcb issue.
>
> (Virtualbox still works perfectly for building and running Trinity, it's just
> this issues that has me questioning if vbox is causing problems)
>
> I'm about to dump kde4 and kdemod3 from an old laptop drive I've got and test
> the issue on a native x86_64 outside of a VM. I'll let you know how it goes.
>
> If I can get you anything else from the install that has the glibc or libxcb
> issue, let me know and I'm happy to do it.
>
> BTW: I've tested the kdemod3 update based on Trinity 3.5.12 on both i686 and
> x86_64 and they seem to run fine.
>

>> If this is virtualbox specific, I'd try qemu-kvm.
>>
>> Allan

Allan,

There is something to this glibc/libxcb issue. I have just dumped a prior arch
install on my X86_64 laptop and did a fresh net-install. Nothing but xorg (and
dependencies) on the box. I loaded the latest Trinity binaries - no kdesktop
crash, and it ran fine from startx. But the X resolution was 1024x768 due to
xf86-video-fbdev being the only driver on the box at the time.. After going
through all the kcontrol settings I normally use, I exited the desktop to
install xf86-video-ati.

On restart of the desktop, the resolution looked great, the desktop looked
great, the kde useful tips window was fine -- then I cliced the 'Close' button
on the useful tips window and my display ripped into little pixels wrapping the
display around itself at least 10 times (the staggered checkerboard pixelation)

Clicking in the blind, I was able to log off and was greeted by a backtrace on
the console window. I started X again with the output redirected into a file to
catch the error. The basic error is:

<snip>
COP: unregister 'kaccess'
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 7
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2000006
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 6
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2000006
*** glibc detected *** kdesktop [kdeinit]: double free or corruption (!prev):
0x00000000019b4020 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6(+0x71b96)[0x7fabc07e2b96]
/lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x6c)[0x7fabc07e796c]
/opt/trinity/lib/libkdeinit_kdesktop.so(_ZN18KBackgroundManagerD0Ev +0x24)[0x7fabbac2fdfe]
/opt/trinity/lib/libkdeinit_kdesktop.so(_ZN8KDesktopD1Ev+0xe8)[0x7fabbac23ba8]
/opt/trinity/lib/libkdeinit_kdesktop.so(kdemain+0xc27)[0x7fabbac04dff]
/opt/trinity/lib/kde3/kdesktop.so(kdeinitmain+0x20)[0x7fabbae9c77c]
kdesktop [kdeinit][0x408728]
kdesktop [kdeinit][0x409f75]
kdesktop [kdeinit][0x40a866]
kdesktop [kdeinit](main+0xa64)[0x40c1c1]
/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfd)[0x7fabc078fdcd]
kdesktop [kdeinit][0x4064b9]
======= Memory map: ========
00400000-00411000 r-xp 00000000 08:06 904841
/opt/trinity/bin/kdeinit
00611000-00612000 rw-p 00011000 08:06 904841
/opt/trinity/bin/kdeinit
018a1000-0200f000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0 [heap]
7fabb4000000-7fabb4021000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0
7fabb4021000-7fabb8000000 ---p 00000000 00:00 0
7fabb9847000-7fabb98b3000 r-xp 00000000 08:06 813482
/usr/lib/libmng.so.1.0.0
7fabb98b3000-7fabb9ab2000 ---p 0006c000 08:06 813482
/usr/lib/libmng.so.1.0.0
<snip>

The full error is:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/trinity/arch/err/X/startx-messages.txt

The corresponding Xorg.0.log:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/trinity/arch/err/X/startx-messages.txt

No (EE).

I have no idea what this error is. Something is going wrong somewhere on
x86_64 with either glibc or libxcb. I don't know if the output from the startx
command and its backtrace will help narrow this down, but it seems to be a
generic X/glibc/libxcb issue.

When using the fbdev video driver, there was *no corruption* at all. Then when
I loaded the ati driver all heck broke loose. I don't know what Virtualbox
relies on to create its virtual display driver, but this glibc/libxcb issue is
present on both nvidia and ati based host computers.

When the current build in the x86_64 laptop is done, I'll load fluxbox and see
what it does on top of the ati driver, but I suspect it will be exactly the
same. I saw this same display pixelation a week ago on a suse 11.3 box after the
xorg files were updated. I had to downgrade the xorg files there to recover. The
pixelation/display wrapping was exactly the same there.

I'll follow up with the fluxbox results (expect the same), but in the mean
time, if you have any suggestions of what additional information could help, let
me know and I'll go chase it down.

Thanks

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Wieland Hoffmann

On 24.02.2011 19:10, David C. Rankin wrote:
> <snip>
> COP: unregister 'kaccess'
> X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
> Major opcode: 7
> Minor opcode: 0
> Resource id: 0x2000006
> X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
> Major opcode: 6
> Minor opcode: 0
> Resource id: 0x2000006
> *** glibc detected *** kdesktop [kdeinit]: double free or corruption (!prev):
> 0x00000000019b4020 ***
> ======= Backtrace: =========
> /lib/libc.so.6(+0x71b96)[0x7fabc07e2b96]
> /lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x6c)[0x7fabc07e796c]
> /opt/trinity/lib/libkdeinit_kdesktop.so(_ZN18KBackgroundManagerD0Ev +0x24)[0x7fabbac2fdfe]
> /opt/trinity/lib/libkdeinit_kdesktop.so(_ZN8KDesktopD1Ev+0xe8)[0x7fabbac23ba8]
> /opt/trinity/lib/libkdeinit_kdesktop.so(kdemain+0xc27)[0x7fabbac04dff]
> /opt/trinity/lib/kde3/kdesktop.so(kdeinitmain+0x20)[0x7fabbae9c77c]
> kdesktop [kdeinit][0x408728]
> kdesktop [kdeinit][0x409f75]
> kdesktop [kdeinit][0x40a866]
> kdesktop [kdeinit](main+0xa64)[0x40c1c1]
> /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfd)[0x7fabc078fdcd]
> kdesktop [kdeinit][0x4064b9]

> I have no idea what this error is. Something is going wrong somewhere on
> x86_64 with either glibc or libxcb. I don't know if the output from the startx
> command and its backtrace will help narrow this down, but it seems to be a
> generic X/glibc/libxcb issue.

It's not a glibc issue - glibc is actually telling you there's an error
somewhere in the trinity code.

--
Wieland Hoffmann

Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 02/24/2011 01:17 PM, Wieland Hoffmann wrote:

I have no idea what this error is. Something is going wrong somewhere on
> x86_64 with either glibc or libxcb. I don't know if the output from the startx
> command and its backtrace will help narrow this down, but it seems to be a
> generic X/glibc/libxcb issue.

It's not a glibc issue - glibc is actually telling you there's an error
somewhere in the trinity code.

OK,

That's good info, but why then does Fluxbox exhibit the same pixelation
desktop crash when an xterm is launched?

I can start fluxbox and I can look at the menus (change config settings in
the menu), but as soon as I launch an app, the desktop does the same
checkerboard wrap.

I have no doubt that there are bugs in the Trinity code, but regardless, it
shouldn't effect fluxbox.

When running flux, I didn't get a backtrace dumped to the console running
startx, but I had to click in the blind to shut it down after the screen went nuts.

Hopefully this isn't one of those 'coincidences' where there are 2 bugs. (1
in Trinity and another in X effecting both Trinity and Fluxbox)

What has me wondering is -- this is a brand new Arch install with nothing but
base, base-devel, xorg and fluxbox on it (plus the Trinity I built).

No new hardware (same laptop I run Arch on all the time). I'll try
downgrading xorg and trying again and let you know how that goes. Let me know if
you have any other thoughts. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:25 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 02/24/2011 06:38 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> OK,
>
> That's good info, but why then does Fluxbox exhibit the same pixelation
> desktop crash when an xterm is launched?
>
> I can start fluxbox and I can look at the menus (change config settings in the
> menu), but as soon as I launch an app, the desktop does the same checkerboard wrap.
>
> I have no doubt that there are bugs in the Trinity code, but regardless, it
> shouldn't effect fluxbox.

Wow,

This is bizarre. The screen pixelated in kdemod3 (old standard version). I
couldn't see a thing. I typed alt+f2 "ksnapshot" to grab a screenshot and while
the screenshot did capture part of the screen pixelation on the right hand side,
it looks a whole lot better than the screen did when I took the shot.

I don't know whether this is X, glibc, libxcb or what, but if you look at the
screenshot, you will notice that the kate document list (kate is on the left)
has been repeated on the right side pixelated. You can also see this has wrapped
'over' thunderbird on the right side of the screen. This behaves like an old
monitor timing issue, but I have experienced it on multiple boxes. Here is the
screenshot for what it's worth. I'll have more time to look at this issue tomorrow.

[222k]
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/trinity/ss/screen-pixeled.jpg

I can't explain why most of the screen looks right. It was a holy mess when I
took the screenshot.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.