Old 10-22-2010, 03:16 AM
Stéphane Gaudreault

Setuptools is a popular method to make Python modules easier to install.
However, it seems that the Setuptools author has been very slow to integrate
bugfixes and there was almost no developement for a long period of time. Due
to non-maintenance of Setuptools, the project has forked. Distribute is a
compatible fork intended to replace Setuptools as the standard method for
working with Python module distributions.

http://packages.python.org/distribute

Distribute uses the same module name than Setuptools package and also use the
same API. Setuptools users do not have to change their code to use Distribute
instead of Setuptools. Recent versions of Distribute also supports Python 3.

Most Linux distributions (Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora or Gentoo for example) have
started shipping Distribute as their Setuptools module. After discussion with
Allan, we decided to create the following Distribute packages :

* python2-distribute : An alternative to Setuptools (drop-in
replacement). This package will work with Python 2.x.

* python-distribute : The new "official" method to work with Python 3 modules.

Any objections to bring these packages to [extra] ?

Best regards,

Stéphane

Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Dan McGee

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
<stephane@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Setuptools is a popular method to make Python modules easier to install.
> However, it seems that the Setuptools author has been very slow to integrate
> bugfixes and there was almost no developement for a long period of time. *Due
> to non-maintenance of Setuptools, the project has forked. Distribute is a
> compatible fork intended to replace Setuptools as the standard method for
> working with Python module distributions.
>
> http://packages.python.org/distribute
>
> Distribute uses the same module name than Setuptools package and also use the
> same API. Setuptools users do not have to change their code to use Distribute
> instead of Setuptools. Recent versions of Distribute also supports Python 3.
>
> Most Linux distributions (Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora or Gentoo for example) have
> started shipping Distribute as their Setuptools module. After discussion with
> Allan, we decided to create the following Distribute packages :
>
> * python2-distribute : An alternative to Setuptools (drop-in
> replacement). This package will work with Python 2.x.

How many people use setuptools directly over pip
(http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/python-pip/)? Currently
pip depends on setuptools; I'm assuming it will be fine with
distribute, and I suppose we could rename it at this time as well.

> * python-distribute : The new "official" method to work with Python 3 modules.
[citation needed]

> Any objections to bring these packages to [extra] ?
Nope, as long as you can resolve my questions. Are you planning on
dropping setuptools completely?

-Dan

Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Stéphane Gaudreault

Le vendredi 22 octobre 2010 08:36:36, Dan McGee a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
>
> <stephane@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Setuptools is a popular method to make Python modules easier to install.
> > However, it seems that the Setuptools author has been very slow to
> > integrate bugfixes and there was almost no developement for a long
> > period of time. Due to non-maintenance of Setuptools, the project has
> > forked. Distribute is a compatible fork intended to replace Setuptools
> > as the standard method for working with Python module distributions.
> >
> > http://packages.python.org/distribute
> >
> > Distribute uses the same module name than Setuptools package and also use
> > the same API. Setuptools users do not have to change their code to use
> > Distribute instead of Setuptools. Recent versions of Distribute also
> > supports Python 3.
> >
> > Most Linux distributions (Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora or Gentoo for example)
> > have started shipping Distribute as their Setuptools module. After
> > discussion with Allan, we decided to create the following Distribute
> > packages :
> >
> > * python2-distribute : An alternative to Setuptools (drop-in
> > replacement). This package will work with Python 2.x.
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=42062
>
> How many people use setuptools directly over pip
> (http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/python-pip/)? Currently
> pip depends on setuptools; I'm assuming it will be fine with
> distribute, and I suppose we could rename it at this time as well.
>
> > * python-distribute : The new "official" method to work with Python 3
> > modules. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29188
>
> [citation needed]
>
> > Any objections to bring these packages to [extra] ?
>
> Nope, as long as you can resolve my questions. Are you planning on
> dropping setuptools completely?
>
> -Dan

Hi

In Debian, python-pip use Distribute.

I do not plan to remove Setuptools. For python 2, I only want to provide a
compatible, less buggy, alternative for users. I suggest to leave packages
that depends on setuptools as is until we migrate to Python 3. Once this
migration will be completed, setuptools could be removed with other python2
packages.

Let me know if you havé further questions.

Regards,

Stéphane

Old 10-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Ray Rashif

On 22 October 2010 20:36, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * python-distribute : The new "official" method to work with Python 3 modules.
>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29188
> [citation needed]

It's "official" as far as setuptools is concerned, I suppose:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute#about-the-fork

"Distribute is intended to replace Setuptools as the standard method
for working with Python module distributions."

Old 10-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Liam Livesey

http://clubprevidenza.it/2_mas5.html

Old 10-26-2010, 03:25 PM
James Laska

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 11:19 -0700, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 08:48:19AM -0400, James Laska wrote:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > We (fedora-qa) received a request for a test day around anaconda and
> > dual-booting. I'm not sure if there is interest on the development side
> > for attending and addressing issues found during such an event. Also, I
> > think we'll probably need to clarify the exposure areas related to
> > dual-boot scenarios.
> >
> > So my questions for the list ...
> >
> > 1. Is there interest in hosting/attending a Fedora 15 test day
> > around installer dual-boot?
> > 2. What areas of the installer are impacted by the presence of
> > other operating systems (installing bootloader, partition
> > detection/selection, partition types (ntfs, xfs...) etc...)?
>
> Dual booting with other Linux distributions is an issue. I've looked
> into it a bit and one major problem we are going to run into is that
> some distributions are now using grub2 instead of grub. That makes
> building the correct bootloader config much harder.
>
> In the past I have handled this manually, using a large shared /boot and
> manually editing my entries. I think we can do a better job of
> supporting dual boot with the same bootloader, but really don't have any
> good ideas as to how to handle dual boot with things like Ubuntu.
>
> Another issue I have seen is the sharing of swap space, which can be a
> problem if hibernate is used.

Sorry Brian, your response got lost in my reader.

Am I correct in summarizing that having such an event would be good,
only if we had a strategy for correctly identifying all other installed
operating systems?

Would a test day be helpful to outline and test dual-boot scenarios and
report on how the Fedora installer handles such situations? Or would
this be better saved for when dual-boot handling is prioritized?

Thanks,
James

Old 10-26-2010, 03:46 PM
"Brian C. Lane"

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:25:06AM -0400, James Laska wrote:

> Sorry Brian, your response got lost in my reader.
>
> Am I correct in summarizing that having such an event would be good,
> only if we had a strategy for correctly identifying all other installed
> operating systems?
>
> Would a test day be helpful to outline and test dual-boot scenarios and
> report on how the Fedora installer handles such situations? Or would
> this be better saved for when dual-boot handling is prioritized?

Right now dual boot support is limited to windows variations. We only
look for windows partitions when adding to the new grub menu. Any dual
booting with Linux has to be manual and have some pre-planning (backup
your /boot partition). So a test day to test against other Linux
distributions probably isn't useful. And I think the windows dual boot
variations are already pretty well covered, aren't they?

Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Here's an interesting little clip that the Marketing folks might be
interested in. Would it be worth denting this?

Paul