Old 05-12-2008, 04:16 PM
"Steve Lamb"

On Mon, May 12, 2008 9:12 am, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> We don't need to burn people at the stake
> for top posting or posting slightly OT threads, but they should be
> gently reminded that their behaviour is counter-productive.

On that tangent I do note that D-U is far more permissive of OT postings
than U-U or KU-U.

--
Steve Lamb

Old 05-12-2008, 06:19 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/12 Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org>:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 9:12 am, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> We don't need to burn people at the stake
>> for top posting or posting slightly OT threads, but they should be
>> gently reminded that their behaviour is counter-productive.
>
> On that tangent I do note that D-U is far more permissive of OT postings
> than U-U or KU-U.

Because they are usually marked OT in the subject. Easy to filter, and
easy to avoid for those who want.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Phil Sexton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I agree that not STFW and top-posting should be permitted in
> ubuntu-users, but they should be discouraged. That way, as people
> learn, they can progress. We don't need to burn people at the stake
> for top posting or posting slightly OT threads, but they should be
> gently reminded that their behaviour is counter-productive.

Even though I am just a user and not a hacker, I usually hit the
delete button when running across html, rich text, non-trimmed
replies, hi-jacked threads and top posters as I subscribe to quite a
few high traffic mailing lists and I can't be bothered to search out
the relevant question/answer from a bunch of unnecessary garbage.

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

I agree 100%!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Derek Broughton

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 12:30 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> I beg to differ. Debian may have some users more knowledgeable than
>> anyone here. Getting them to help you is another issue. I'll take
>> the help available here, any day.
>
> I dunno, back when I used Debian I never had a problem getting support
> on debian-users.

I never had a _problem_ either - but I wouldn't say that many of the great
Debian experts were the ones helping, and I do strongly believe the Ubuntu
lists provide better support than I was getting then (even though I needed
it more in those days).

>  YMMV, of course. I, for one, would argue that the
> percentage of people with experience in server administration and the
> like was way higher than here.

Oh sure - and you could get yourself a week of flames for even bringing up
the subject of Webmin...
--
derek

Old 05-12-2008, 07:08 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/12 Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
> Oh sure - and you could get yourself a week of flames for even bringing up
> the subject of Webmin...

I hope that you're wearing Nomex under right now...

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/12 Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
> Oh sure - and you could get yourself a week of flames for even bringing up
> the subject of Webmin...

You'd get flamed for using it, but the community would help you
configure anything that you need, the right way. They'd rather teach
you to fish than give you a fish. That's why I use Debian on the
desktop. I use Ubuntu on the laptop with the problematic hardware,
however.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:27 PM

On on a cable provider (comcast).

My router shows a constant hammering from numerious chinese IPs on
port 1027 and 1026.

Its not really apparent what is going on .. looking at the date graph
presented here:
http://isc.sans.org/port.html?port=1027

Other google hits don't say much about it either. Is it all icq
related?

If so what is the massive chinese interest in icq?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Justin

reader@newsguy.com schrieb:

On on a cable provider (comcast).

My router shows a constant hammering from numerious chinese IPs on
port 1027 and 1026.

Its not really apparent what is going on .. looking at the date graph
presented here:
http://isc.sans.org/port.html?port=1027

Other google hits don't say much about it either. Is it all icq
related?

If so what is the massive chinese interest in icq?

found this in the net:

http://www.grc.com/port_1026.htm
http://www.grc.com/port_1027.htm

Old 05-13-2008, 04:34 PM

Justin <justin@j-schmitz.net> writes:

>> If so what is the massive chinese interest in icq?
>>

> found this in the net:
>
> http://www.grc.com/port_1026.htm
> http://www.grc.com/port_1027.htm

That doesn't give any analysis of why this port is being hammered by
hundreds, even thousands of IP originating in china.

It only guesses at what `might' be the reason such a port my be open,
and how to close it... but even that part has no detail.

It appears to be, at root, just another snivel about how MS does
things with no substance.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Ralf Mardorf

This is one of the things I don't like:

You have a problem, you use Google and will find
http://www.64studio.com/node/561 without the end of the story, because
the happy end was written in the mailing list today .

Ralf