Old 04-29-2008, 04:04 PM
mike

Raseel Bhagat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Jeff Robertson <jrob79@gmail.com
> <mailto:jrob79@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I am considering buying a new Dell laptop in a couple months. I
> am fed up with Windows and especially the crap they call "Vista".
> Dell now offers new laptops with Ubuntu installed as the OS. I
> would love to learn and use Ubuntu but I am worried some of my
> software won't work. I have MS Office, Acrobat 7, PhotoshopCS
> IllustratotCS2 and Frontpage.
>

> I think it's great that you have decided to go for a Ubuntu machine.
> All the softwars you mentuioned above have a open source counterpart
> which usually works just as well.
> To add to the above, a program called Wine is known to run
> MSOffice2000 and PSCS2 (in fact, I think even PS CS3) under Linux. As
> for Acrobat, if you are talking about the reader, I'm currently using
> Acrobat Reader 8 on Ubuntu.
> And finally, there are lots of good WYSIWYG Web Editors and IDEs in
> Linux. I think FrontPage's direct substitute can be Kompozer.
>
> So, don't fret, feel free to enter Ubuntu's world.
>
> Thanks,
> Raseel
> http://raseel.in

i would add that if you need to save in MS doc format open office will
do that and so far i have lost no data in convertion in fact open office
is a lot easier to work with than MS office
mike

Old 04-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Michael Perry

i have been having problems installing ubuntu on to my computer, i configure the cd-rom to boot first , insert the CD, it appears to install however, moments before it is due to launch the live cd, it hangs while loading, i have tried many ways to install ubuntu on the machine and am now stuck! i have* tried bothe the i386 and x64 and on both, the system hangs.

my system
64bit athlon 2.8ghz
2.25gb ram
1tb hdd space
512 ati* agp graphics card

live* cd
*** ** ** - hangs while loading (on final block before initiating the live cd)
wubi
*** *** -** again loads to the same point and hangs

i'm stumped!

any help with this would be appreciated

Ardo202

Old 04-30-2008, 01:08 PM
"Steve Flynn"

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Michael Perry <ardo202@hotmail.com> wrote:

> i have been having problems installing ubuntu on to my computer, i configure
> the cd-rom to boot first , insert the CD, it appears to install however,
> moments before it is due to launch the live cd, it hangs while loading, i
> have tried many ways to install ubuntu on the machine and am now stuck! i
> have tried bothe the i386 and x64 and on both, the system hangs.

If you've installed the product successfully, booting with the CD out
of the tray should offer you a menu to select any installed OS'es.

If you haven't managed to install it properly, switch to the
alternative install CD - it's text based only.

--
Steve
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 04-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Arthur

try pressing F1 at install prompt (maybe chose another kernel ?)
try alternate-cd (you've got to check a box in the download page)
try the server edition ... then apt-get the rest of your system

Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Karl Larsen

Michael Perry wrote:
> i have been having problems installing ubuntu on to my computer, i configure the cd-rom to boot first , insert the CD, it appears to install however, moments before it is due to launch the live cd, it hangs while loading, i have tried many ways to install ubuntu on the machine and am now stuck! i have tried bothe the i386 and x64 and on both, the system hangs.
>

> my system
> 64bit athlon 2.8ghz
> 2.25gb ram
> 1tb hdd space
> 512 ati agp graphics card
>

> live cd
> - hangs while loading (on final block before initiating the live cd)
> wubi
> - again loads to the same point and hangs
>

> i'm stumped!
>
> any help with this would be appreciated
>
> Ardo202

If you have a laptop or another computer try the Live CD on that. It
might be good to run the check on your CD and make sure it checks good.
If you have windows installed then Ubuntu should load as well.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Sheramel Siriban

Hi! Is there any issues regarding internet access through wifi with 8.04? Though I've manage to compiz work now with 8.04 and not with 7.10. Why is that?

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.--

Old 04-30-2008, 02:09 PM
"Amichai Rotman"

Are you using the 64Bit version of* the Live CD?

Amichai.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Michael Perry <ardo202@hotmail.com> wrote:

i have been having problems installing ubuntu on to my computer, i configure the cd-rom to boot first , insert the CD, it appears to install however, moments before it is due to launch the live cd, it hangs while loading, i have tried many ways to install ubuntu on the machine and am now stuck! i have* tried bothe the i386 and x64 and on both, the system hangs.

my system
64bit athlon 2.8ghz
2.25gb ram
1tb hdd space
512 ati* agp graphics card

live* cd
*** ** ** - hangs while loading (on final block before initiating the live cd)
wubi
*** *** -** again loads to the same point and hangs

i'm stumped!

any help with this would be appreciated

Ardo202

.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Simon Jolle sjolle

On 04/28/2008 02:23 AM, John Newbigin wrote:
> rpm -qf /usr/sbin/dmidecode
> kernel-utils-2.4-6.1.EL

Thank you

> CentOS 2 is not dead yet.
> dmidecode does exist and should work fine.

> John.

cheers
Simon

Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
art baur

Run the chech cd option on the cd to see if the files are all there. If
not burn the cd rom at the slowest speed you can to get the files all
there. Good luck

Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 PM
"b.n."

Willie Wong ha scritto:

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:33:04PM +0200, b.n. wrote:

ehm, I guess I wasn't clear.
You *already* knew:
- That there are texlive and tetex
- That tetex was EOLed and texlive was the next choice
- That tetex and texlive are mutually exclusive
- That the ebuild was in the tree

Oh.. that...

Yes I know. People's ignorance is amazing, isn't it?

tetex was not running into problems. tetex has almost always been a
one man act, and the maintainer, who, after over a decade of
maintaining bug fixes and what-nots, finally decided that he has no
more time and no longer cares enough. And he pulled through until a
viable alternative was available.

Well, that's among what I call "running into problems". Having a
software you rely upon being discontinued is not nice.

- Knowing nothing about what tetex, texlive etc. are, I even could
expect that they could happily live together (e.g., if they are two
implementations of tex, that one could eselect one or the other. Naive,
but why not?)

- Knowing nothing about texlive, I couldn't know there was its ebuild.

The best thing to do would be to ask here, I think. Of course, that
leads to the problem of you not knowing that a question ought to be
asked to start with...

Yes, that's exactly the trouble. Once I know there is a question, I can
google it myself, asking on forums and MLs, etc. But how I know?

Let's just say I have an exceptionally good memory. The death of tetex
was announced about two years ago
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060612-newsletter.xml
and I know I also saw that fact somewhere on /. (perhaps not an
article but a comment). After I saw the announcements, I went to
http://www.tug.org/tetex/

where, the first thing they (I mean, Thomas Esser) say is that "I
suggest ... TeX Live project".

I was to say "ok, it was on gwn, my fault", when I read:

"Tetex changes

Tetex's upstream maintainer Thomas Esser hass announced that he won't
make any further tetex releases. This will have some mid- to long-term
effects on how tetex is maintained in Gentoo. Gentoo developer Martin
Ehmsen shows the possible methods for handling this – while it seems to
be undecided for now how to proceed there will be changes in the future.
Stay tuned… "

It basically doesn't say "you better upgrade to texlive before tetex
goes in the /dev/null department". It says "well, tetex maintainer steps
down." That's very much different -someone could have stepped in and
replaced Esser. It is alarming, my fault for having missed it, but not
nearly as much as what I'd expect. Most importantly, no link at all was
posted for a migration guide.

What I'd expect is gentoo-announce to shout loud things like "Attention,
please! People using tetex should consider upgrading to texlive unless
their very own life depends on texlive! The migration guide is there
[link]. Problems should be reported here,here and here." Possibly with
repeated announcements: one for ~arch people ("hey, this is beginning to
be pushed in testing,report here..."),so that also arch people can
prepare, and then repeat it for the arch people, when it's time.

I've very seldomly seen stuff like that. I am now checking my
gentoo-announce folder on thunderbird, and in 2 years I find only
something about PHP4 being masked, apart from GLSA stuff. Shouldn't
gentoo-announce serve the purpose of announcing stuff like texlive,
expat upgrade, gcc/glibc upgrades, the upcoming baselayout-2 thing (that
from posts here looks like a potential storm of s**t for the unwary),
etc.? If it's not gentoo-announce, what is the right place?

Following this ML helps, following GMN too (I'll read it more carefully)
but I'd like something "official" and granular like a mailing list about
that.

m.