Old 04-20-2008, 02:54 AM
"Travis Willard"

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Simo Leone <simo@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 06:09:08PM +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=E4chler_ wrote:
> > - aufs (Simo, could you have a look, you must probably update it)
> I'll fix this very soon. It just needs a hug. I'm going to update this
> to a later snapshot (aufs doesn't really do releases). That alright?
>
> > - catalyst
> Got this one, had to patch 2 or 3 lines due to some api changes in
> 2.6.25, no big deal (tm). Also updated it to 8.4 while I was at it.

Holy crap you rule Simo. I have guests over this weekend and haven't
really been able to look at it yet.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Samstag, 19. April 2008 18:09:08 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> If there are any problems due to the configuration changes or new kernel
> bugs, please let me know.

I got the following error when using the nvidia driver:

NVRM: bad caching on address 0xffff81007c91a000: actual 0x173 != expected
0x17b
NVRM: please see the README section on Cache Aliasing for more information
NVRM: bad caching on address 0xffff81007c91b000: actual 0x173 != expected
0x17b
NVRM: bad caching on address 0xffff81007cbad000: actual 0x173 != expected
0x17b
NVRM: bad caching on address 0xffff81007cbb4000: actual 0x173 != expected
0x17b
NVRM: bad caching on address 0xffff81007cbb5000: actual 0x173 != expected
0x17b
NVRM: bad caching on address 0xffff81007cbb6000: actual 0x173 != expected
0x17b
NVRM: bad caching on address 0xffff81007cbb7000: actual 0x173 != expected
0x17b
NVRM: bad caching on address 0xffff81007cbb8000: actual 0x173 != expected
0x17b
NVRM: bad caching on address 0xffff81007cbb9000: actual 0x173 != expected
0x17b
NVRM: bad caching on address 0xffff81007cbba000: actual 0x173 != expected
0x17b

Even when using the 173.08 beta driver which is meant for kernel 2.6.25 I got
the same errors. Any ideas?

And here is the mentioned part of the README:

Cache Aliasing

Cache aliasing occurs when multiple mappings to a physical page of memory
have conflicting caching states, such as cached and uncached. Due to these
conflicting states, data in that physical page may become corrupted when
the processor's cache is flushed. If that page is being used for DMA by a
driver such as NVIDIA's graphics driver, this can lead to hardware
stability problems and system lockups.

NVIDIA has encountered bugs with some Linux kernel versions that lead to
cache aliasing. Although some systems will run perfectly fine when cache
aliasing occurs, other systems will experience severe stability problems,
including random lockups. Users experiencing stability problems due to
cache aliasing will benefit from updating to a kernel that does not cause
cache aliasing to occur.

NVIDIA has added driver logic to detect cache aliasing and to print a
warning with a message similar to the following:

NVRM: bad caching on address 0x1cdf000: actual 0x46 != expected 0x73

If you see this message in your log files and are experiencing stability
problems, you should update your kernel to the latest version.

If the message persists after updating your kernel, send a bug report to
NVIDIA.

--
archlinux.de

Sun Apr 20 11:30:01 2008