Old 01-16-2009, 04:41 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"hein gorris" <peeeel@gmail.com> said:

Well, it's hard to refute that!

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
"The Barsoom Project"

Old 01-16-2009, 05:13 AM
Erie Looking Productions

I thought the BOFH-like approach was to give a strange acknowledgement
then delete.

Stephen Michael Kellat, MSLS
Writer/Presenter, LISTen: The LISNews.org Podcast
http://lisnews.org/podcast
http://erielookingproductions.info
erielookingproductions@gmail.com

Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> "hein gorris" <peeeel@gmail.com> said:
>

> Well, it's hard to refute that!
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

I don't know. It seems there are lots of threads based on messages from
people saying a lot of nothing.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I don't know. It seems there are lots of threads based
> on messages from
> people saying a lot of nothing.

I agree but that's nothing too-)

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 01-19-2009, 03:35 PM

On 19 Jan 2009, at 10:26 am -0500, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> For some reason there's no sound coming out of either the speakers or the
> headphones on my laptop (Dell Precision M4400) after the upgrade.

> Sound module is snd-hda-intel. I checked volume is up, mute is not on, yada
> yada, but no sound coming out.

I had a similar problem a couple of days ago. Is the module snd_pcsp getting
loaded? If so, it's possible it may be grabbing your sound card before your
real driver has a chance to do so. The fix that worked for me was just to
blacklist it. I believe there's also a way to make it load after the correct
sound modules (if you like the audible bell), which some judicious googling
should turn up.

Good luck getting that fixed!

Ivy

--
If I Ever Become An Evil Villainess...
20. Despite its proven stress-relieving effect, I will not indulge in maniacal

Old 01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
David Rosenstrauch

joyfulgirl@archlinux.us wrote:

For some reason there's no sound coming out of either the speakers or the
headphones on my laptop (Dell Precision M4400) after the upgrade.

Sound module is snd-hda-intel. I checked volume is up, mute is not on, yada
yada, but no sound coming out.

I had a similar problem a couple of days ago. Is the module snd_pcsp getting
loaded? If so, it's possible it may be grabbing your sound card before your
real driver has a chance to do so. The fix that worked for me was just to
blacklist it. I believe there's also a way to make it load after the correct
sound modules (if you like the audible bell), which some judicious googling
should turn up.

Good luck getting that fixed!

Ivy

I'll try that too. Tnx much for the suggestion.

DR

Old 01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> Well, it's hard to refute that!
> I don't know. It seems there are lots of threads based on messages from
> people saying a lot of nothing.

The main problem is to quote them.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
"b.n."

Mark Knecht ha scritto:

> The one thing I would respectfully suggest is that you carefully
> build your own portage overlay. My experience with Gentoo over the
> last few years is that there is a _anxiousness_ in the portage
> maintainer area to move newer revisions of software into portage
> quickly and then just as quickly to remove from portage what users are
> currently using.

Really?

I am usually a bit annoyed by the contrary. On an almost 1-year old
Kubuntu (8.04 Hardy Heron) I can find packages that are just barely x86
stable now on Gentoo.

A couple of examples I am aware of:
Firefox 3: stable just since one month on Gentoo x86, was included in KB8.04
Qtiplot: 0.9.x stable and working on KB8.04, all releases ~x86 (and a
hell to compile on a stable system -still didn't manage to do it) in Gentoo.

Python releases are often behind, and not mentioning KDE 4, which is
even default on 8.10 Kubuntu and on Gentoo was still hardmasked last
time I checked (but probably Gentoo is just right in this respect,
everyone keeps telling me to wait before digging into KDE 4).

I fully understand that there are good reasons for that, and that the
meta-distribution status of Gentoo makes harder to check packages (and
also that the Ubuntu folks wildly release unstable stuff... firefox 3 rc
in 8.04, for example). I just feel that (stable) Gentoo is actually a
bit *behind* the average Linux distribution in its revisions of software.

Most importantly, I also feel that that's something new: when I first
installed my system, more than 4 years ago, I felt it was *ahead*. I
wonder if it's due just to the sheer increase of work required to test
packages, or if there are decisions behind that (or if it's just me
having false memories).

m.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM, b.n. <brullonulla@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht ha scritto:
>
>> The one thing I would respectfully suggest is that you carefully
>> build your own portage overlay. My experience with Gentoo over the
>> last few years is that there is a _anxiousness_ in the portage
>> maintainer area to move newer revisions of software into portage
>> quickly and then just as quickly to remove from portage what users are
>> currently using.
>
> Really?
>
> I am usually a bit annoyed by the contrary. On an almost 1-year old
> Kubuntu (8.04 Hardy Heron) I can find packages that are just barely x86
> stable now on Gentoo.
>
> A couple of examples I am aware of:
> Firefox 3: stable just since one month on Gentoo x86, was included in KB8.04
> Qtiplot: 0.9.x stable and working on KB8.04, all releases ~x86 (and a
> hell to compile on a stable system -still didn't manage to do it) in Gentoo.
>
> Python releases are often behind, and not mentioning KDE 4, which is
> even default on 8.10 Kubuntu and on Gentoo was still hardmasked last
> time I checked (but probably Gentoo is just right in this respect,
> everyone keeps telling me to wait before digging into KDE 4).
>
> I fully understand that there are good reasons for that, and that the
> meta-distribution status of Gentoo makes harder to check packages (and
> also that the Ubuntu folks wildly release unstable stuff... firefox 3 rc
> in 8.04, for example). I just feel that (stable) Gentoo is actually a
> bit *behind* the average Linux distribution in its revisions of software.
>
> Most importantly, I also feel that that's something new: when I first
> installed my system, more than 4 years ago, I felt it was *ahead*. I
> wonder if it's due just to the sheer increase of work required to test
> packages, or if there are decisions behind that (or if it's just me
> having false memories).

When I first installed Gentoo a few years ago, I think I switched from
x86 to ~x86 in the first 24 hours, for the very reason. I wanted to
use the newest versions and the "stable" stuff was so old... It seems
the majority of users are using ~arch these days.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Nick Cunningham

2009/1/20 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com>

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM, b.n. <brullonulla@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Knecht ha scritto:

>> * *The one thing I would respectfully suggest is that you carefully

>> build your own portage overlay. My experience with Gentoo over the

>> last few years is that there is a _anxiousness_ in the portage

>> maintainer area to move newer revisions of software into portage

>> quickly and then just as quickly to remove from portage what users are

>> currently using.

> Really?

> I am usually a bit annoyed by the contrary. On an almost 1-year old

> Kubuntu (8.04 Hardy Heron) I can find packages that are just barely x86

> stable now on Gentoo.

> A couple of examples I am aware of:

> Firefox 3: stable just since one month on Gentoo x86, was included in KB8.04

> Qtiplot: 0.9.x stable and working on KB8.04, all releases ~x86 (and a

> hell to compile on a stable system -still didn't manage to do it) in Gentoo.

> Python releases are often behind, and not mentioning KDE 4, which is

> even default on 8.10 Kubuntu and on Gentoo was still hardmasked last

> time I checked (but probably Gentoo is just right in this respect,

> everyone keeps telling me to wait before digging into KDE 4).

> I fully understand that there are good reasons for that, and that the

> meta-distribution status of Gentoo makes harder to check packages (and

> also that the Ubuntu folks wildly release unstable stuff... firefox 3 rc

> in 8.04, for example). I just feel that (stable) Gentoo is actually a

> bit *behind* the average Linux distribution in its revisions of software.

> Most importantly, I also feel that that's something new: when I first

> installed my system, more than 4 years ago, I felt it was *ahead*. I

> wonder if it's due just to the sheer increase of work required to test

> packages, or if there are decisions behind that (or if it's just me

> having false memories).

When I first installed Gentoo a few years ago, I think I switched from

x86 to ~x86 in the first 24 hours, for the very reason. I wanted to

use the newest versions and the "stable" stuff was so old... It seems

the majority of users are using ~arch these days.

I see it as a good thing, a sign that Gentoo is maturing beyond just being a 'ricing' distro. Its now possible to have the best of both worlds, whether you want the stability of well tested packages from ARCH, or the chance to get newer packages, but with a chance of bugs and potential breakage by using ~ARCH.

Im a happy ~ARCH user myself, and have been for a long time, however i do stick to using plain ARCH on my little server just to keep it stable and happy.

- Nick