Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Paul Johnson

On Friday 11 April 2008 08:23:19 am Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:

> >> And taxes are much lower here, and the torte system so different,
> >> and people so much more eager to sue.
> >
> > Depends on the country. In France, they pay less taxes, and with those
> > taxes they get college and healthcare at no extra charge. We coulda done
> > that ourselves over the last 8 years if the conservatives didn't think it
> > to be more productive to flush it down the war...
>
> Or think that the gov doesn't/shouldn't need to provide for my
> necessitates (as I think). Imagine what an economy we would have (in the
> USA) if we were not paying for the war AND not taking peoples hard
> earned cash to give for "college and health care".

We saw what happens under Reagan. It degenerates into the libertarian
dystopia we're approaching now.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 04-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Paul Johnson

On Friday 11 April 2008 11:29:02 am Rich Healey wrote:

> pfft. i pay $1.60 AUD a litre for diesel.
>
> Petrol prices ar buggered everywhere.. which makes me wonder.. why iraq?
>
> wasn't freedom.. and based on evidence sure as bloody hell wasn't oil!

Worst yet, the way the whole thing was orchestrated, it handed Osama a
victory. What was Osama's big complaints? US bases in Saudi Arabia and
Saudi Arabian oil being sold far too cheap. He wanted revenge for the former
and for the price of oil to go over $100/barrel. Thanks to Mr. Bush, Osama
got exactly what he wanted, even if he is near death living in a cave
attached to a dialysis machine.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 04-11-2008, 08:33 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Paul Johnson wrote:

[...]

It does? News to me. Again, study your history, longest un-interrupted
economic growth in the history of the US.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Paul Johnson wrote:

pfft. i pay $1.60 AUD a litre for diesel.

Petrol prices ar buggered everywhere.. which makes me wonder.. why iraq?

wasn't freedom.. and based on evidence sure as bloody hell wasn't oil!

Worst yet, the way the whole thing was orchestrated, it handed Osama a
victory. What was Osama's big complaints? US bases in Saudi Arabia and
Saudi Arabian oil being sold far too cheap. He wanted revenge for the former
and for the price of oil to go over $100/barrel. Thanks to Mr. Bush, Osama
got exactly what he wanted, even if he is near death living in a cave
attached to a dialysis machine.

Paul,

your knowledge of Linux is very good. Your knowledge of economics is
not as good. The fact that China is sucking up all the oil they can buy
on the free market has nothing to do with $100/barrel, does it? Perhaps
if we passed a law stating you can not sell oil for more then
$50/barrel, everything would be good? The war in Iraq is not good. It
also has nothing to do with the cost of oil.

Anyway, I joined this list to assist others, and be assisted, not
expound my views on world matters, so I will desist further comments.
You, of course are welcomed to yours and I would not request them to be
silenced. I (mostly) enjoyed reading the banter on the LN lists. At
some point in time you will know Ron is right and Peace and Love WILL
break out (just like it did when The Wall came down and our military was
no longer needed in the ensuing lack of war and destruction)

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 04-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Ron Johnson

On 04/11/08 15:19, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Friday 11 April 2008 08:17:56 am Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 04/11/08 10:03, Paul Johnson wrote:
[snip]
>>> Depends on the country. In France, they pay less taxes, and with those
>>> taxes they get college and healthcare at no extra charge.
>> And labor unions so stifling they create 25% unemployment among
>> young people.
>
> The labor movement is not a bad thing. Once you do get a job, you get paid a
> family living wage with decent benefits. We once had the same thing in the
> US, and the American middle class was far and away better off then, than we
> are now.

Sure, back in the generation following WW2 when the US economy
dominated the world.

The big reason why so much manufacturing has fled the US is because
unions and liberals are just as short-sighted and selfish as
business owners.

> > We coulda done that
>>> ourselves
>> Sure, and pigs could fly out my arse if I pushed hard enough. Got
>> any more fantasies?
>
> We're talking about $12 billion every month. That's a shit-ton of money by
> any standard, and it's not like it's going to productive use the way it's
> currently being spent.

The money's not being taken out back and tossed in the incinerator.
Someone's getting the money.

>>> over the last 8 years if the conservatives didn't think it to
>>> be more productive to flush it down the war...
>> Clinton didn't do it, so what makes you think that Gore or JFK would
>> have done it?
>
> Probably because FDR did it last time we were this fucked.

FDR implemented universal health care?

> Just because he's
> dead now doesn't mean he didn't have good ideas that worked wonders, contrary
> to what Rush thinks.

Why do we care what an aging art-rock band thinks?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

We want... a Shrubbery!!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 02:41:00PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/11/08 13:02, Kevin Mark wrote:
> [snip]
> > Thunderbird is a brand of cheap alcohol mostly drunk by winos --bums. It
>
> Shame on you for insinuating such a mean thing about the Differently
> Drinking!!!!

the soberly impaired?

Old 04-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 04:01:43PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/11/08 15:19, Paul Johnson wrote:

> > Just because he's
> > dead now doesn't mean he didn't have good ideas that worked wonders, contrary
> > to what Rush thinks.
>
> Why do we care what an aging art-rock band thinks?

because Rush is a band
they come from Canada.
In Canada they drink beer.

qed