Old 10-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 22:15 +0800, edwardspl@ita.org.mo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just tried to install the syslog-ng as the following cmd :
> [root@edsvr rpm]# rpm -ihv --nodeps syslog-ng*.rpm
> Preparing...
> ########################################### [100%]
> file /etc/logrotate.d/syslog from install of
> syslog-ng-2.0.8-1.fc9.i386 conflicts with file from package
> rsyslog-3.14.1-2.fc9.i386
> [root@edsvr rpm]#
>
> So, how can I do it ?
>
> Thanks !

Googling indicates to me that syslog-ng is a replacement for rsyslog and
they can't both be installed on the same machine.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:41 PM

Hello,

So, how can we replace the rsyslog by syslog-ng in text mode ?

Thanks !

Edward.

Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 22:15 +0800, edwardspl@ita.org.mo wrote:

Hello,

I just tried to install the syslog-ng as the following cmd :
[root@edsvr rpm]# rpm -ihv --nodeps syslog-ng*.rpm
Preparing...
########################################### [100%]
file /etc/logrotate.d/syslog from install of
syslog-ng-2.0.8-1.fc9.i386 conflicts with file from package
rsyslog-3.14.1-2.fc9.i386
[root@edsvr rpm]#

So, how can I do it ?

Thanks !

Googling indicates to me that syslog-ng is a replacement for rsyslog and
they can't both be installed on the same machine.
While money doesn't buy love, it puts you in a great bargaining
position.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:27 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Subject: Re: [CentOS] Install CentOS-5.0 on HP-ComPaq DC7700 Dual Core
From: "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
Date: Mon, October 6, 2008 12:26
To: cenos@centos.org
Cc: "John Newbigin" <jnewbigin@ict.swin.edu.au>

On Sun, October 5, 2008 20:39, John Newbigin wrote:
> Also make sure you have the latest firmware and set the hard disk mode
> in the BIOS to Raid (Which will enable AHCI).
>
> John.

By the time I received this message I had already installed the ia_64
version of CentOS-5.2 with the BIOS set to IDE emulation. If now I change
the BIOS to use RAID then the system cannot see the SATA drive at all.

Is it possible to change the BIOS setting to RAID and subsequently load
the necessary drivers from the boot DVD without having to reinstall the
entire system?

If so, then what is the procedure?

*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada L8E 3C3

Old 10-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Karanbir Singh

James B. Byrne wrote:

By the time I received this message I had already installed the ia_64
version of CentOS-5.2 with the BIOS set to IDE emulation. If now I change
the BIOS to use RAID then the system cannot see the SATA drive at all.

There is no ia64/ CentOS-5.2

Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 PM
"James B. Byrne"

> There is no ia64/ CentOS-5.2

x86_64

The substantive question remains unanswered. Can I install the new disk
drivers for SATA AHCI from the 64 bit CentOS-5.2 boot dvd without having
to reinstall the entire OS or not?

Old 10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
John R Pierce

James B. Byrne wrote:

There is no ia64/ CentOS-5.2

x86_64

The substantive question remains unanswered. Can I install the new disk
drivers for SATA AHCI from the 64 bit CentOS-5.2 boot dvd without having
to reinstall the entire OS or not?

you probably just need to force them into the initrd, while the system
is still set to IDE, then set for ahci and reboot, and it likely will work.

however, off the top of my head, I don't remember the correct
incantation for this.... also, the precise AHCI SATA driver varies by
chipset.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 22:41 +0800, edwardspl@ita.org.mo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So, how can we replace the rsyslog by syslog-ng in text mode ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> Edward.
I would try: yum remove rsyslog
followed by:: yum install syslog-ng*

Old 10-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Izaim Osmani

Stop Sending me those emails please, I dont want news about linux or windows, my inbox got 200 messages per day, are you playing, stop these messages.

*

Izaim Osmani
izaimosmani@hotmail.com