Old 04-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 06:51:07PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
>> I have seen direct evidence of the problem inherent in reply-to
>> munging. We had a student reply to an email thinking she was replying
>> only to the instructor and instead sent her tearful sounding pleas to
>> the entire class list. Not cool. Much better to err on the side of
>> sending mail to fewer people than the opposite.
>

> Call me a masochist if you like, but I think stuff like that IS cool.
> It also shows very dramatically the inherent problems with using e-mail
> for human communication.
>
> If she really was that distressed, why wasn't she in his office for
> office hours IMMEDIATELY?

Oh, I'm right there with you. I don't agree with what she did. If she
was having that much trouble, she should have been a little more
pro-active than to send an email, but it happened, so there it is.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 06:33:47PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> And of course the poor, ignorant and boorish aren't reading this
> list. Why? They're drinking cheap beer and procreating like rabbits.

Hey! I'm almost poor, ignorant of many things, and often boorish, but
I'll *never* drink cheap beer, you insensitive clod!

;-P

Although, having three kids puts me close to the rabbit level of procreation...

Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Paul Johnson

On Sunday 06 April 2008 05:03:13 am Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/06/08 02:20, Nate Duehr wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > What a deal! I bet ALL of the "concerned parents" will be sending BOTH
> > the difference in their original taxes in 2006 and their rebate checks
> > straight to the education system. (Rolling eyes.)
>
> Yes, I'm sure we will. With gas at .gt. US$3/gal and milk at .gt.
> US$4/gal

Wow, sucks to be you... I can't remember a time where milk has been more than
$3/gal even during a shortage...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 04-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:04:04PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Totally ACK! This is the kind of situation that inflames my
> crotchetiness gland and impels me to pull out my cane and ear horn.

Yeah, when you were a student, you did the same thing with a carrier
pidgeon, carrying a role of punched paper tape. Or was it morse code
over the prof's car radio?

Doug.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:21 AM
John Poelstra

This email was sent to all individual feature owners. I'm sending it a
few other place to keep everyone in the loop and to route around those
that have black-listed the feature wrangler's or are waiting for me to
send post cards ;-)

If you are depending on information about the features below you may
want to set wiki page watches to track changes and updates

Thanks,
John