Old 09-14-2008, 10:46 AM
"Liviu Andronic"

On 9/14/08, Sascha Hlusiak <saschahlusiak@arcor.de> wrote:
> Since the driver was renamed from i810 to intel in upstream, I vote for
> Gentoo to rename the package as well, from xf86-video-i810 to
> xf86-video-intel.

Second this.
Liviu

Old 09-14-2008, 10:49 AM
"Liviu Andronic"

On 9/14/08, Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@ucw.cz> wrote:
> glxgears won't start for me any longer (Error: couldn't get an RGB,
> Double-buffered visual). Not that I would really need that one, nor any
[..]
> Have you seen this error too?

Not this particular one, but I still get an error with the newest driver:

"liviu@localhost ~ $ glxgears
Failed to initialize TTM buffer manager. Falling back to classic.
2951 frames in 5.0 seconds = 590.196 FPS
3148 frames in 5.0 seconds = 629.438 FPS
3168 frames in 5.0 seconds = 633.496 FPS
3165 frames in 5.0 seconds = 632.845 FPS"

glxgears loads, though. The FPS are still in regression compared to
what I had around a year ago, 1200+ FPS. Regards,
Liviu

Old 09-14-2008, 11:25 AM
pk

Tony Stohne wrote:

HTTP requests are sent over TCP, so try a REJECT with TCP reset instead.
Something like this should do the trick, since the connection would be reset
more or less instantly avoiding the timeout:

iptables -A INPUT -s xxxx -p tcp -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -A OUTPUT -s xxxx -p tcp -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

Ok, good to know. I tried something simpler; putting the domain in
/etc/hosts pointing to 127.0.0.1 (as suggested by Neil Bothwick). But
I'll keep this in mind for the future. Thanks for the input!

Best regards

Peter K

Old 09-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:25:45 +0200, pk wrote:

> Ok, good to know. I tried something simpler; putting the domain in
> /etc/hosts pointing to 127.0.0.1 (as suggested by Neil Bothwick).

Incidentally, you can get a file to add to your /etc/hosts that blocks all
sorts of ad and popup server from http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

--
Neil Bothwick

Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben. Ist easy
droppenpacket der routers und overloaden der backbone mit der spammen
und der me-tooen. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das
mausklicken sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets
muss; relaxen und watchen das cursorblinken.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Tony Stohne

Old 09-14-2008, 02:25 PM
bardo

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Paul Mattal <paul@mattal.com> wrote:
> Please signoff i686. Change log below.

Since no dev seems to use it, I can provide basic testing for this
package (fsck and such), I use it on one of my virtual machines. It
doesn't seem to be in [testing] at all, though.

Corrado

Old 09-14-2008, 05:05 PM
pk

Tony Stohne wrote:

Yes, putting the domain/IP address in the host file works, but has the
negative side effect of being slower (at least if your host file is big.
Parsing a big hosts file slows down networking overall because of the parsing
process. If the file is small/short it's not a big problem). With TCP reset,

My hosts file is quite short; only two rows, currently.

it's a lot quicker. If You want to block lots of ads/banner domains and/or
malware/porn sites it's usually more efficient to use TCP reset, within reason
of course... huge iptables blocks tend to slow things down as well unless You
use IPset (an extension of iptables). Shorewall actually supports IPset, if
You have those extensions compiled in Your kernel...

IPset is a means of creating hashes for one or more address blocks or
addresses, which speeds things up quite a lot.

See http://ipset.netfilter.org/ and

http://www.shorewall.net/ipsets.html

BTW, Gentoo supports IPsets - in Portage it's under net-firewall/ipset but
You have to recompile Your kernel, which may be too much work for You since
we're discussing one domain/IP address in this case.

Nice tip! Thanks!

Have a nice Sunday

Well, I'll be cooking meals for the coming work week so I'll be having
fun... ;-)

I surely will as I'm watching F1 at Monza right now

Sounds great, although not really my cup of tea. :-)

Best regards

Peter K

Old 09-15-2008, 03:49 AM
Michael Sullivan

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 20:57 -0300, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Quoting Michael Sullivan <michael@espersunited.com>:
>
> > I think this is the same problem that wouldn't let me use su -.
> >

> Post /etc/pam.d/system-auth

I remerged sys-apps/shadow and it works now, as does su.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Montag 15 September 2008 05:49:46 schrieb ext Michael Sullivan:

> I remerged sys-apps/shadow and it works now, as does su.

Maybe it's time for a revdep-rebuild, then?

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Michael Sullivan

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 09:11 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Montag 15 September 2008 05:49:46 schrieb ext Michael Sullivan:
>
> > I remerged sys-apps/shadow and it works now, as does su.
>
> Maybe it's time for a revdep-rebuild, then?
>
> Bye...
>
> Dirk

I tried that. It failed. I need to rebuild my python modules (once I
find out what they are)