Old 09-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Bill Campbell

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008, William L. Maltby wrote:

>On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 19:45 +0200, Thomas Johansson wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Perhaps omeone might answer this tricky problem. I can do this other
>> ways, but i really want to understand how to solve it using ed. I have
>> one solution using g/re/s/re//txt/ , but I want to understand how or if
>> i can solve it using the ed (.)a command.
>
>OK. But keep in mind that many folks (and distros?) believe ed is
>hopelessly outdated and some even advocate its removal from
>distributions. Thankfully some other packages(s) depend on it.

Instead of ``ed' one can use ``ex' which should be in any distribution as
its part of ``vi' or ``vim'. I think the command set of ``ed' is a
subset of ``ex' so scripts should work the same.

I frequently use the gnu shtool program for this sort of thing unless the
job is very simple, and I really want to edit the file in place.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

The stamping of paper is an operation so much easier than the laying of
taxes, that a government, in the practice of paper emissions, would rarely
fail, in any such emergency [such as an election], to indulge itself too
far in the employment of that resource... -- Alexander Hamilton

Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 10:26 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008, William L. Maltby wrote:
> >
> >On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 19:45 +0200, Thomas Johansson wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Perhaps omeone might answer this tricky problem. I can do this other
> >> ways, but i really want to understand how to solve it using ed. I have
> >> one solution using g/re/s/re//txt/ , but I want to understand how or if
> >> i can solve it using the ed (.)a command.
> ><snip>

> Instead of ``ed' one can use ``ex' which should be in any distribution as
> its part of ``vi' or ``vim'. I think the command set of ``ed' is a
> subset of ``ex' so scripts should work the same.

Further, it *may* be that the "superset" that is available in ex can
overcome of few of the deficiencies and hurdles that his use of ed is
presenting. Because of my background, I never read about or learned the
full ex stuff - vi(m), sed, (g)awk, bash, ... all did what I needed.

Maybe if the OP reviews the ex stuff he'll have an easier time of it.

Only potential downside I see is maybe a little more overhead and the
need for vi(m)/ex on the target system. *Usually* they are there, but
maybe someone is a "minimalist" there?

--
Bill (the other one)

Old 09-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Daniel Baumann

Martin Smith wrote:
> Just tried the i386 on my intel mini, no dice, keyboard not functioning
> but, in startup disc in system preferences it is shown as foreign os and
> allows booting, it gets to the splash screen no problem, if you could
> get the keyboard to work it would probably go fine.

thank you for testing the images also on a mini mac (up to now, we had
reports from macbooks only).

however, it appears to be the same issue as with the macbooks, that
syslinux doesn't work on them. this is already reported, both in the
debian bts for the syslinux package, as well as to the upstream authors.

as written in some other message, i have no access to an intel based
mac, so can't do anything. let's hope upstream or someone else can fix it.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net

Old 09-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Daniel Baumann

Old 09-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Jerome BENOIT

Hello,

note that the keyboard issue is a generic issue for (only first ?) Intel Mac computer:
some informations can be grabbed on refit site.
A simple workaround would be to continue after a small lapse of time.

Jerome

Daniel Baumann wrote:

Martin Smith wrote:

Just tried the i386 on my intel mini, no dice, keyboard not functioning
but, in startup disc in system preferences it is shown as foreign os and
allows booting, it gets to the splash screen no problem, if you could
get the keyboard to work it would probably go fine.

thank you for testing the images also on a mini mac (up to now, we had
reports from macbooks only).

however, it appears to be the same issue as with the macbooks, that
syslinux doesn't work on them. this is already reported, both in the
debian bts for the syslinux package, as well as to the upstream authors.

as written in some other message, i have no access to an intel based
mac, so can't do anything. let's hope upstream or someone else can fix it.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Jerome BENOIT
jgmbenoit_at_mailsnare_dot_net

Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 AM
"Michal Suchanek"

On 02/09/2008, Jerome BENOIT <jgmbenoit@mailsnare.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> note that the keyboard issue is a generic issue for (only first ?) Intel
> Mac computer:
> some informations can be grabbed on refit site.
> A simple workaround would be to continue after a small lapse of time.
>
> Jerome

Yes, this is some bug in the bios emulation in the macs. The timeout
workaround should be mentioned on the wiki already. On some macs
(iMacs?) unplugging and replugging the keyboard seems to help but this
does not work for me on a mini with a USB->PS2 adabtor.

Thanks

Michal

Old 09-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Martin Smith

Michal Suchanek wrote:

note that the keyboard issue is a generic issue for (only first ?) Intel
Mac computer:
some informations can be grabbed on refit site.
A simple workaround would be to continue after a small lapse of time.

Jerome

Yes, this is some bug in the bios emulation in the macs. The timeout
workaround should be mentioned on the wiki already. On some macs
(iMacs?) unplugging and replugging the keyboard seems to help but this
does not work for me on a mini with a USB->PS2 adabtor.

Same here with an intel mini, I originally had the (aluminium) kbd
attached via

a powered usb hub, but removing it and attaching it directly to the machine
makes no diference, still I am game to try any patches that anyone can
come up with.

--
Martin

Old 09-02-2008, 06:32 PM
"Michal Suchanek"

On 02/09/2008, Martin Smith <mjs@rakupottery.org.uk> wrote:
> Michal Suchanek wrote:
>
> > On 02/09/2008, Jerome BENOIT <jgmbenoit@mailsnare.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > note that the keyboard issue is a generic issue for (only first ?)
> Intel
> > > Mac computer:
> > > some informations can be grabbed on refit site.
> > > A simple workaround would be to continue after a small lapse of time.
> > >
> > > Jerome
> > >

> > Yes, this is some bug in the bios emulation in the macs. The timeout
> > workaround should be mentioned on the wiki already. On some macs
> > (iMacs?) unplugging and replugging the keyboard seems to help but this
> > does not work for me on a mini with a USB->PS2 adabtor.
> >

> Same here with an intel mini, I originally had the (aluminium) kbd attached
> via
> a powered usb hub, but removing it and attaching it directly to the machine
> makes no diference, still I am game to try any patches that anyone can come
> up with.

The patch would be to add the timeout option to isolinux. You could do
that - copy the iso contents, edit the isolinux configuration file,
and re-create a bootable iso.

But I hope that somebody will add the option to the official images
and a new batch that boots automatically appears soon.

There was some opposition to the idea at least for d-i, though. People
point out that if you send the installation CD to an operator in a
datacenter, they put it into the machine, and it boots while they run
around 100M long rack to connect a cable it might cause problems.

This should be less of a problem for standard live CDs, though. They
aren't supposed to work for everybody who could possibly run Debian,
unlike the d-i.

Thanks

Michal

Old 09-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Daniel Baumann

Michal Suchanek wrote:
> The patch would be to add the timeout option to isolinux. You could do
> that - copy the iso contents, edit the isolinux configuration file,
> and re-create a bootable iso.

live-helper supports this to be set at build time through
--syslinux-timeout (or LH_SYSLINUX_TIMEOUT in config/binary).

> But I hope that somebody will add the option to the official images
> and a new batch that boots automatically appears soon.

i don't think so, even live-images should not start by default.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
"William Biggs"

*