Old 08-11-2008, 05:38 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 11:04 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> <snip>
>
>> Vi or vim. I think Emacs would just cloud my mind, when I'm trying to absorb
>> C++ Lanny
>
> If you have C experience, it'll be quick once you get your head around
> constructors, destructors, inheritance, templates (I never did enough of
> that to get it), et al.
>
> It essentially implements a bunch of things we used to do as functions,
> libraries or modules when we recognized a strong re-usability potential,
> and formalizes all that to the object oriented model.
>
> Good luck on it and I know you'll enjoy it once you see results.

Thanks! Not much C experience. I'm an old Assembly Language guy. Trying to
enter the 21st century now. C++ is a lot to learn and it looks like a
lot of it has to do with
the way things are done in OOP. The book is very long (878 pages) but
well regarded.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:07 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 12:38 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 11:04 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >
> >> Vi or vim. I think Emacs would just cloud my mind, when I'm trying to absorb
> >> C++ Lanny
> >
> ><snip>

> Thanks! Not much C experience. I'm an old Assembly Language guy. Trying to

Ditto - IBM 360/370. Some things never leave. BALR 14, save area trace
register 13, etc. I still love assembly. Speed and efficiency were my
big thing.

> enter the 21st century now. C++ is a lot to learn and it looks like a
> lot of it has to do with
> the way things are done in OOP. The book is very long (878 pages) but
> well regarded.

Yes, OOP is the whole purpose of C++. When it first came out, I
dismissed it as "fluff" (OOP was really new then and initial specs and
implementations had not much power). By the time C95 came out, things
had started to look more useful. By now (I've not looked in a long time)
I'm sure it deserves its highly regarded status.

> <snip sig stuff>

Well, don't want to pollute the list further. I'll just say that you
should grab some small snippets of a real application to peruse as you
go through the book. It will help assimilation (no, not the Borg kind!)
immensely.

Enjoy!

--
Bill

Old 08-12-2008, 12:43 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:07 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 12:38 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM, William L. Maltby
>> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
>> Thanks! Not much C experience. I'm an old Assembly Language guy. Trying to
>
> Ditto - IBM 360/370. Some things never leave. BALR 14, save area trace
> register 13, etc. I still love assembly. Speed and efficiency were my
> big thing.

I began with IBM 360/65 ALC on an airline reservation system
<snip>

I finished the first chapter of the book. It is excellent. The author
obviously worked in industry and knows what it is like, working in the
real world.

> Yes, OOP is the whole purpose of C++. When it first came out, I
> dismissed it as "fluff" (OOP was really new then and initial specs and
> implementations had not much power). By the time C95 came out, things
> had started to look more useful. By now (I've not looked in a long time)
> I'm sure it deserves its highly regarded status.

>From reading the first chapter, I'm sure that is true. He wrote that
50 to 70% of projects end in failure. OOP should reduce that
percentage.

> Well, don't want to pollute the list further. I'll just say that you
> should grab some small snippets of a real application to peruse as you
> go through the book. It will help assimilation (no, not the Borg kind!)
> immensely.

I'll ask a former manager/colleague if he happens to have any code
from a project he worked on that isn't classified, that he can send
me.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Frank McCormick

> > Sometime over the last few days I lost all sound on my system. Its
> > an intel board - audio apps tell me they can't open the sound device,
> > but when the system boots I hear a pop in the speakers as the drivers
> > are loaded.
> >
> > 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
> > (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02) Subsystem: Intel
> > Corporation Device e001
> > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
> > Memory at ffa7f800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
> > Memory at ffa7f400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
> > Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
> > Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
> > Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0
> >

> What do you you
> get from the following comands.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [ICH5 ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
Intel ICH5 with AD1985 at irq 17

> lsmod | grep snd

snd_intel8x0 26268 1
snd_ac97_codec 88484 1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus 1728 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss 32800 0
snd_mixer_oss 12320 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 62628 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 17800 1 snd_pcm
snd 45604 8
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 6368 1 snd snd_page_alloc 7816 2
snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

> In a terminal/Konsole, what does typing alsamixer as user show? Perhaps
> some
> update or other has muted the sound, and you now need to unmute it. Just
> a thought.

Nope. Nothing is muted.

- --
Frank -- debian@videotron.ca