Old 08-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Jake

I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I installed it to work "with" Windows XP, and
now I can't get to Windows XP anymore, it automatically boots into
Ubuntu, I need help on how to either UNINSTALL Ubuntu or INSTRUCTIONS
on how to get to Windows XP, all your help will be appreciated..

-Jake Snell
Get more from your digital life. Find out how.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 AM
"Nicolae Ghimbovschi"

Hello,

Did you do a custom partition layout ? (It might be that you selected
an option to reformat your entire hdd, when installing ubuntu )
If no , then :

Did you install grub boot loader ?

If yes , then :

When your computer starts try to press the Up/Down key. If grub is
installed and configured
to boot windows (it might be as Other OS in grub menu), you will be
able to boot in windows.

else if grub is installed and no other os or windows option listed, then:

When you computer starts press any key except Left Right or Enter key.
Press c , for console.
and execute:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

of course if windows is installed on first hdd and on partition 1.
These should load the windows boot loader.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:34, Jake <ispaz@live.com> wrote:

> I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I installed it to work "with" Windows XP, and now I
> can't get to Windows XP anymore, it automatically boots into Ubuntu, I need
> help on how to either UNINSTALL Ubuntu or INSTRUCTIONS on how to get to
> Windows XP, all your help will be appreciated..
>
> -Jake Snell

Mahatma Gandhi - "Be the change you want to see in the world !"

Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Nils Kassube

Nicolae Ghimbovschi wrote:
> Did you install grub boot loader ?
>
> If yes , then :
>
> When your computer starts try to press the Up/Down key. If grub is
> installed and configured
> to boot windows (it might be as Other OS in grub menu), you will be
> able to boot in windows.

With Ubuntu 8.04 you first have to press the ESC key to get the Grub menu.
Then you can select the wanted OS using up/down.

If you want to have the menu automatically at every boot, you should
change the line which now reads

hiddenmenu

so it looks like this:

#hiddenmenu

You can also change the operating system booted as default by changing the
number in the line

default 0

to point to the wanted OS. For Windows it is probably 3, but I don't have
a standard dual boot installation here so I can't check it.

Nils

Old 08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Derek Broughton

Nils Kassube wrote:

> With Ubuntu 8.04 you first have to press the ESC key to get the Grub menu.
> Then you can select the wanted OS using up/down.

Oh my... Whose stupid idea was this? If you have multiple OSes in the
menu, it absolutely should not be defaulting the menu to hidden.
--
derek

Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 08:20 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Oh my... Whose stupid idea was this? If you have multiple OSes in
> the menu, it absolutely should not be defaulting the menu to hidden.

It says "Press ESC to see menu"

Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Derek Broughton

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 08:20 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Oh my... Whose stupid idea was this? If you have multiple OSes in
>> the menu, it absolutely should not be defaulting the menu to hidden.
>
> It says "Press ESC to see menu"

OK, but really, if you have two OSes, I think _most_ people would want to
see the menu, so hiding it by default is just not helpful. "Press ESC to
see menu" looks even less informative than the normal prompt to get to a
BIOS menu (which is less necessary to most users than the Grub menu).
--
derek

Old 08-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Ulin the Tech Mage

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 14:44 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 08:20 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> >> Oh my... Whose stupid idea was this? If you have multiple OSes in
> >> the menu, it absolutely should not be defaulting the menu to hidden.
> >
> > It says "Press ESC to see menu"
>
> OK, but really, if you have two OSes, I think _most_ people would want to
> see the menu, so hiding it by default is just not helpful. "Press ESC to
> see menu" looks even less informative than the normal prompt to get to a
> BIOS menu (which is less necessary to most users than the Grub menu).
> --
> derek

I tend to agree, but it has been a long time since i set up a dual boot
system.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 14:44 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> OK, but really, if you have two OSes, I think _most_ people would want
> to see the menu, so hiding it by default is just not helpful. "Press
> ESC to see menu" looks even less informative than the normal prompt to
> get to a BIOS menu (which is less necessary to most users than the
> Grub menu).

Sure, I agree and it has been a long time since I set up dual-boot, so
what do I know. I might also remember the exact phrase incorrectly.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:31 PM
debian

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 03:34 -0400, Jake wrote:

> I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I installed it to work "with" Windows XP, and
> now I can't get to Windows XP anymore, it automatically boots into
> Ubuntu, I need help on how to either UNINSTALL Ubuntu or INSTRUCTIONS
> on how to get to Windows XP, all your help will be appreciated..
>
> -Jake Snell

> Get more from your digital life. Find out how.

why did you send the _SAME_ message 3 times?

--cj

Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 08:20 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> Oh my... Whose stupid idea was this? If you have multiple OSes in
>>> the menu, it absolutely should not be defaulting the menu to hidden.
>> It says "Press ESC to see menu"
>
> OK, but really, if you have two OSes, I think _most_ people would want to
> see the menu, so hiding it by default is just not helpful. "Press ESC to
> see menu" looks even less informative than the normal prompt to get to a
> BIOS menu (which is less necessary to most users than the Grub menu).

I honestly don't know if studies were ever done on this, but I know of
cases where the second OS was preferred hidden because it was a lab or
multiple-user system where %95 of the time we wanted the user to not
have to pause and think or have the choice that confused them. It sped
up bootup time and didn't give them a chance to start up the "wrong"
environment, and only the people that needed the alternative could use it.

On a personal computer I feel you have a strong case. On a "corporate"
type system, there may be reasons to not show the multiple OS's...so I'm
not saying you're wrong, just there are cases where it makes sense that
aren't that outlandish :-)

-Bart