Old 04-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Antonio Olivares

Default device 10b9:5459 is grabbed by driver serial: try to release

Dear all,

I am unfortunately a user of a modem(winmodem) that has to use proprietary drivers(no opensource drivers exist, even though the kernel tries to help^{1})

05:02.0 Modem: ALi Corporation SmartLink SmartPCI561 56K Modem

[olivares@localhost ~]$ dmesg | grep 'slamr'
slamr: module license 'Smart Link Ltd.' taints kernel.
slamr: SmartLink AMRMO modem.
slamr: probe 10b9:5459 SL1800 card...
slamr 0000:05:02.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
slamr: mc97 codec is SIL26
slamr: slamr0 is SL1800 card.
[<fe2b32ca>] amrmo_read+0x50/0x66 [slamr]
[<fe2b327a>] ? amrmo_read+0x0/0x66 [slamr]
[olivares@localhost ~]$ dmesg | grep 'grab'
device 10b9:5459 is grabbed by driver serial: try http://modemhelplinux.741.com/slmodemd-setup-1.htmlto release

I have to get a code written by Sasha K. original author of slmodem-2.9.X code which one uses to get connection in Linux. For kernels > 2.6.9 or so, we have to use ungrab-winmodem-????.tar.gz code:

For now it is

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/ungrab-winmodem-20090716.tar.gz

a couple of patches have been added to make it better.

and for a good while the code for the modem was not working after kernel 2.6.31 was released, but thanks to Yair a person on LinModems mailing list, a fix was pushed so that one could connect with Linux and kernels > 2.6.31.

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/slmodem-2.9.11-20100303.tar.gz

See this page for more information if needed:
http://modemhelplinux.741.com/slmodemd-setup-1.html

Anyway, to make a LONG STORY short, is there a way to let kernel developers know (kindly) that they are trying to help support this device, but since their is no functionality it is of no use and we users would be grateful if they apply a fix if possible. It will not matter if they don't fix it since we have a workaround, but since 2.6.9 kernels till the present several users have had to use the workaround when before things just worked)

Thanks for your consideration and if this message is also bad like the other(s), just redirect it to /dev/null

Regards,

Antonio

{1} device 10b9:5459 is grabbed by driver serial: try to release