Old 04-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Tom Horsley

Default /dev/cdrom gone missing for me too

I seem to recall a recent thread where someone wondered why
their cdrom didn't get automounted, and eventually discovered
that the /dev/cdrom symlink wasn't being created.

I see I do have a /dev/cdrom2 and /dev/dvd2. Did something
screw up the persistent rules in some incompatible fashion?
I certainly haven't changed the hardware on the system.

I guess I'll try deleting the persistent storage rules file
and rebooting and see if I get the normal links back.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:13:10 -0400
Tom Horsley wrote:

> I guess I'll try deleting the persistent storage rules file
> and rebooting and see if I get the normal links back.

Actually, it is weirder than I thought. The persistent
rules file has this nonsense in it:

# DVD-RW_DVR-117D (pci-0000:03:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0)
yadda, yadda, yadda... symlink "cdrom"

# DVD-RW_DVR-117D (pci-0000:04:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0)
yadda, yadda, yadda... symlink "cdrom2"

Why would the pci ID change for the exact same dvdrw
drive connected to the exact same header slot on the
motherboard?

Anyway, no doubt deleting and regenerating the file will
fix it, but it is definitely confusing. I thought the
would point of the persistent rules files was to keep
device names the same :-).