Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Siavoush Dastmalchi

Default fort77 compiler

Dear All,

*

I am trying to install a program on my Linux system (Fedora core 5) but it fails because there is no fort77 compiler. I know that I have a working ifort on my system, but I need fort77.

It looks like that the program that I am trying to install can also be compiled with g77, but again this one is also missing.

I was wondering how I can get these compliers and get them work on my system.

*

Cheers, Siavoush

*--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 AM
John Aldrich

On Fri April 9 2010, Siavoush Dastmalchi wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to install a program on my Linux system (Fedora core 5) but
> it fails because there is no fort77 compiler. I know that I have a
> working ifort on my system, but I need fort77. It looks like that the
> program that I am trying to install can also be compiled with g77, but
> again this one is also missing. I was wondering how I can get these
> compliers and get them work on my system.
> Cheers, Siavoush

I realize I'm ignoring your question, but have you considered upgrading to
a supported release of Fedora, such as 11 or 12 or Rawhide (F13 Beta)??
There's a better chance you'll be able to install whatever it is you're
wanting to install if you have a "modern" install of Fedora. If you don't
want to do that, I recommend you consider installing either RedHat
Enterprise or CentOS, which is basically RedHat Enterprise which has been
recompiled to remove all references to RedHat, but is still the same thing.
:-)

Also, you can download a Fortran 77 compiler here:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/fortran.shtml

Old 04-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Ed Greshko

On 04/09/2010 02:48 PM, Siavoush Dastmalchi wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> I am trying to install a program on my Linux system (Fedora core 5)
> but it fails because there is no fort77 compiler. I know that I have a
> working ifort on my system, but I need fort77.
>
> It looks like that the program that I am trying to install can also be
> compiled with g77, but again this one is also missing.
>
> I was wondering how I can get these compliers and get them work on my
> system.
>

> Cheers, Siavoush

FC5 is rather old... I think it used yum....

yum whatprovides */bin/g77

clues you in on what you need to install...assuming it is available in FC5

--
The story you are about to hear is true. Only the names have been
changed to protect the innocent. Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7

Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Friday 09 April 2010 03:24 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 04/09/2010 02:48 PM, Siavoush Dastmalchi wrote:
>>
>> Dear All,
>>

>> I am trying to install a program on my Linux system (Fedora core 5)
>> but it fails because there is no fort77 compiler. I know that I have a
>> working ifort on my system, but I need fort77.
>>
>> It looks like that the program that I am trying to install can also be
>> compiled with g77, but again this one is also missing.
>>
>> I was wondering how I can get these compliers and get them work on my
>> system.
>>

>> Cheers, Siavoush
>>

> FC5 is rather old... I think it used yum....
>
> yum whatprovides */bin/g77
>
> clues you in on what you need to install...assuming it is available in FC5

Assuming there were compat packages back then you can try this,

compat-gcc-34-g77

--
Suvayu

Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Ed Greshko

On 04/09/2010 06:24 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 04/09/2010 02:48 PM, Siavoush Dastmalchi wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>

>> I am trying to install a program on my Linux system (Fedora core 5)
>> but it fails because there is no fort77 compiler. I know that I have a
>> working ifort on my system, but I need fort77.
>>
>> It looks like that the program that I am trying to install can also be
>> compiled with g77, but again this one is also missing.
>>
>> I was wondering how I can get these compliers and get them work on my
>> system.
>>

>> Cheers, Siavoush
>>

> FC5 is rather old... I think it used yum....
>
> yum whatprovides */bin/g77
>
> clues you in on what you need to install...assuming it is available in FC5

You know....after I wrote that I just realized it won't work since none
of the repositories contain any packages for that old release....

So, load up your old media and look for "g77". Maybe compat-gcc-34-g77
exists as Suvayu mentioned.

--
Bart: Can I be a boozehound? Homer: Not till you're 15.
Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(annoyed grunt)ocious Guess Who!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 06:13 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Fri April 9 2010, Siavoush Dastmalchi wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am trying to install a program on my Linux system (Fedora core 5) but
> > it fails because there is no fort77 compiler. I know that I have a
> > working ifort on my system, but I need fort77. It looks like that the
> > program that I am trying to install can also be compiled with g77, but
> > again this one is also missing. I was wondering how I can get these
> > compliers and get them work on my system.
> > Cheers, Siavoush
> >
> I realize I'm ignoring your question, but have you considered upgrading to
> a supported release of Fedora, such as 11 or 12 or Rawhide (F13 Beta)??
> There's a better chance you'll be able to install whatever it is you're
> wanting to install if you have a "modern" install of Fedora. If you don't
> want to do that, I recommend you consider installing either RedHat
> Enterprise or CentOS, which is basically RedHat Enterprise which has been
> recompiled to remove all references to RedHat, but is still the same thing.
> :-)
>
> Also, you can download a Fortran 77 compiler here:
> http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/fortran.shtml

I don't recall if FC5 had gfortran or g77, but it did have a fortran
compiler. The RPM would be called gcc-g77 or gcc-gfortran. Get it from
wherever you get your FC5 rpms. gfortran replaced g77 and includes
support for FORTRAN 77 as well as Fortran 90 and up.

But John is right--you really should upgrade to F12, at least. (You can
still get support for F11, but that will go away once F13 comes out.)

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Siavoush Dastmalchi

Dear All,
*
Many thanks for the suggestions. I think the best way is to do the upgrade. But the reason that I reluctant to do the upgrade is that I am not an expert in Linux and never installed a Linux OS on a machine. On top of this, the system is a cluster which has 8 nodes each with two dual core Opteron 2212 CPUs. There are few programs installed on the system and I am worry that I couldn't do the upgrade correctly and couldn't get the cluster up and running as before.
*
Does the upgrade keeps track of the current configuration and keep every thing as before, without affecting the setup required for the communication among different nodes of the cluster, as well as the*programs installed on the system? How difficult is that for a beginner with no previous experience on Linux OS installation. I am familiar with using Linux as an OS and usually do the installation of*programs, but never done the configuration of system itself.
*
Cheers,
Siavoush
*

*

Old 04-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 07:24:03 -0700,
Siavoush Dastmalchi <siavoush11@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Many thanks for the suggestions. I think the best way is to do the upgrade. But the reason that I reluctant to do the upgrade is that I am not an expert in Linux and never installed a Linux OS on a machine. On top of this, the system is a cluster which has 8 nodes each with two dual core Opteron 2212 CPUs. There are few programs installed on the system and I am worry that I couldn't do the upgrade correctly and couldn't get the cluster up and running as before.
>
> Does the upgrade keeps track of the current configuration and keep every thing as before, without affecting the setup required for the communication among different nodes of the cluster, as well as the*programs installed on the system? How difficult is that for a beginner with no previous experience on Linux OS installation. I am familiar with using Linux as an OS and usually do the installation of*programs, but never done the configuration of system itself.

Do you have hardware for a test or development deployment? Without one it
will be very risky to do the upgrade. (Of course there is also risk in not
doing anything, just different risk.)

If you are upgrade adverse and can't afford to pay for support, you should
really think about using something based off RHEL such as CentOS or Scientific
Linux so that you don't need to do them very often. You would still need to
do updates, but they'd be lower risk than doing an upgrade.