Old 04-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Greg Woods

Default Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 11:14 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> its a amd specific flag that signifies hardware virtualisation. intels is vmx so
> you would run "cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep vmx" if you get a result you have
> hardware virtulaisation in your cpu. it could still be disabled in the bios.

Believe me, I have already been through all this. The Pentium 4 does not
have hardware virtualization.

> what parts of it don't work?

I already explained this. On the Pentium 4, which does not have hardware
virtualization, KVM is so slow that it is unusable (it takes 10 minutes
to boot a Windows XP VM). Therefore I use VirtualBox instead.

On the Core Duo at work, which does have hardware virtualization, KVM
performance is good, but the VM crashes as soon as I access it in the
morning if it is left idle overnight, and I have to reboot the VM. This
is fine for a Windows XP VM that I use just so that I can run a couple
of required proprietary applications at work; usually I remember to
hibernate it before I go home, and it restores just fine. So I continue
to use KVM on my work desktop. But this would not be acceptable in high
availability situations, so I use Xen to run production VM servers.

--Greg

Old 04-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Dennis Gilmore

On Friday 09 April 2010 11:22:07 am Greg Woods wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 11:14 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > its a amd specific flag that signifies hardware virtualisation. intels
> > is vmx so you would run "cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep vmx" if you get a
> > result you have hardware virtulaisation in your cpu. it could still be
> > disabled in the bios.
>
> Believe me, I have already been through all this. The Pentium 4 does not
> have hardware virtualization.
>
> > what parts of it don't work?
>
> I already explained this. On the Pentium 4, which does not have hardware
> virtualization, KVM is so slow that it is unusable (it takes 10 minutes
> to boot a Windows XP VM). Therefore I use VirtualBox instead

its not using kvm since kvm requires hardware support, just plain qemu which
is slow, you could get accelerated support using kqemu from rpmfusion. it is
there as its a kernel module. and you should see a good performance increase.

> On the Core Duo at work, which does have hardware virtualization, KVM
> performance is good, but the VM crashes as soon as I access it in the
> morning if it is left idle overnight, and I have to reboot the VM. This
> is fine for a Windows XP VM that I use just so that I can run a couple
> of required proprietary applications at work; usually I remember to
> hibernate it before I go home, and it restores just fine. So I continue
> to use KVM on my work desktop. But this would not be acceptable in high
> availability situations, so I use Xen to run production VM servers.

fair enough, why it locks up would be good to get fixed. I personally have
lots of guests that are up 24/7 on a mixture of core2 duo, core2 quad and dual
dual core opteron boxes. they all use kvm and are all up 24/7 Just my
experience.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
oleksandr korneta

on 04/09/2010 09:15 AM Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> what do you get for "cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep svm"

nothing

> what model cpus do you have?
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep model
model : 35
model name : Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 165
model : 35
model name : Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 165

> i have a pair of dual dual core opterons they run kvm great. one of
> them has 12gb ram and has 13 guests running on it currently, I do agree we
> need to come up with a way to support hardware that does not have hardware
> virtualisation better. there is the kqemu kernel module in rpmfusion that
> will give you accelerated virtualisation using tools that are native in fedora
> for the rest. I bring it up because it seems vmware and virtual box regularly
> break because there kernel modules don't build and you are left on your own
> to fix it.

agree. But I 'm no too much into virtualization -- this is home machine,
just grabbed first whatever worked.

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

I'm running F12 x86_64, should this matter.

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./