Old 04-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Timothy Murphy

Default CUPS printer choice

CUPS often offers me a number of choices for the same printer,
and I have no idea which to choose, or what difference
a different choice would make.

Currently I am trying to use an HP OfficeJet J5480,
and CUPS offers me the choices
--------------------------------
HP Officejet J4500 series (CB780A)
HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB #1)
HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB CN89C552GR052T
HPLIP)
--------------------------------
Does it make any difference which I choose?

(If it doesn't, why offer me the choice?
If it does, why not explain the difference?)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Tim Waugh

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 13:40 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Currently I am trying to use an HP OfficeJet J5480,
> and CUPS offers me the choices
> --------------------------------
> HP Officejet J4500 series (CB780A)
> HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB #1)
> HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB CN89C552GR052T
> HPLIP)
> --------------------------------
> Does it make any difference which I choose?

Some. Your best choice is probably the last of the three.

It sounds like you are using the CUPS web interface to configure the
queue. CUPS will only show you what each backend says about the device
it has found (they are the three things you quote above), without making
any judgement about which is best.

If you use the printing configuration tool, system-config-printer, it
will use the information at its disposal to pick the best choice for
you. In this case, the HPLIP 'hp' backend is available for an HP
printer, and you get more functionality that way at the moment -- ink
level reporting and so on.

Tim.
*/

Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Dale Dellutri

CUPS often offers me a number of choices for the same printer,

and I have no idea which to choose, or what difference

a different choice would make.

Currently I am trying to use an HP OfficeJet J5480,

and CUPS offers me the choices

--------------------------------

HP Officejet J4500 series (CB780A)

HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB #1)

HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB CN89C552GR052T

HPLIP)

--------------------------------

Does it make any difference which I choose?

(If it doesn't, why offer me the choice?

If it does, why not explain the difference?)

You say it's a J5480, but you're showing J4500 series?* Is J5480 a typo?
*
--
Dale Dellutri

Old 04-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Timothy Murphy

Dale Dellutri wrote:

>> CUPS often offers me a number of choices for the same printer,
>> and I have no idea which to choose, or what difference
>> a different choice would make.

> You say it's a J5480, but you're showing J4500 series? Is J5480 a typo?

Yes, sorry, the printer is an HP OfficeJet J4580.

Now I'm desperately looking for a PPD file for this.
Do you have any idea where I can find one?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Timothy Murphy

Tim Waugh wrote:

>> Currently I am trying to use an HP OfficeJet J5480,
>> and CUPS offers me the choices
>> --------------------------------
>> HP Officejet J4500 series (CB780A)
>> HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB #1)
>> HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB CN89C552GR052T
>> HPLIP)
>> --------------------------------
>> Does it make any difference which I choose?
>
> Some. Your best choice is probably the last of the three.

> If you use the printing configuration tool, system-config-printer, it
> will use the information at its disposal to pick the best choice for
> you. In this case, the HPLIP 'hp' backend is available for an HP
> printer, and you get more functionality that way at the moment -- ink
> level reporting and so on.

Thanks very much.
As you suggested, system-config-printer did suggest the last of the three.

Now I am desperately searching for an appropriate PPD file for this printer,
which CUPS asks me to provide.
If I can't find one before tomorrow I shall have to print out
my Ryanair boarding card under Windows XP ...

Do you (or does anyone) know where I can find this PPD file?
I've spent some time googling for it without reward.
HP, in particular, seems to offer me a remarkable amount
of irrelevant material.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Tim Waugh

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 18:52 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Now I am desperately searching for an appropriate PPD file for this printer,
> which CUPS asks me to provide.

The hpcups driver has one. Install the 'hpijs' package.

"HP Officejet j4500 Series, hpcups 3.10.2"

Tim.
*/

Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Timothy Murphy

Tim Waugh wrote:

>> Now I am desperately searching for an appropriate PPD file for this
>> printer, which CUPS asks me to provide.
>
> The hpcups driver has one. Install the 'hpijs' package.
>
> "HP Officejet j4500 Series, hpcups 3.10.2"

Sorry, I must be dense,
but I can't find this.

Actually, I was looking on my CentOS machine,
where I only have hplip-1.6.7-4.1.el5.4.x86_64
and hpijs-1.6.7-4.1.el5.4.x86_64.

But now I've looked on my Fedora-12 laptop, where I have
hpijs-3.10.2-2.fc12.i686 and hplip-3.10.2-2.fc12.i686,
and I still don't see any mention of the HP J4500 series.

Do I actually have to attach the printer to the laptop
to get the PPD file?

Also, if I did manage to find, or create,
an appropriate PPD file on my Fedora-12 laptop
could I transfer it to my CentOS-5.4 desktop?

Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Tim Waugh

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 02:23 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Actually, I was looking on my CentOS machine,
> where I only have hplip-1.6.7-4.1.el5.4.x86_64
> and hpijs-1.6.7-4.1.el5.4.x86_64.

Oh, that does *not* have the driver you are after.

> But now I've looked on my Fedora-12 laptop, where I have
> hpijs-3.10.2-2.fc12.i686 and hplip-3.10.2-2.fc12.i686,
> and I still don't see any mention of the HP J4500 series.

Select 'HP' as the manufacturer and 'Officejet j4500' as the model.

> Do I actually have to attach the printer to the laptop
> to get the PPD file?

No.

> Also, if I did manage to find, or create,
> an appropriate PPD file on my Fedora-12 laptop
> could I transfer it to my CentOS-5.4 desktop?

No, I'm afraid not. It isn't a PostScript driver but a raster-type
driver. It needs that version of HPLIP in order to run.

Tim.
*/

Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 PM
"Smith, Herb"

I have a Xerox color laser printer which came with a disk for Windoze. I was able to locate the ppd file on that disk. It works just fine.

Herb