Old 04-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Kwan Lowe

Default Strange 'ls' listing

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Jeff Kittle <jkittle@wi.rr.com> wrote:
> Has anyone noticed that the ls command tacks on ‘.’ Character at the end of
> each permission string , example:
>

> total 124
>
> drwxr-xr-x.** 2 root root* 4096 2009-08-25 13:06 srv

Maybe you have ls aliased?

Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Jeff Kittle wrote:
> Has anyone noticed that the ls command tacks on ‘.’ Character at the end
> of each permission string , example:

It is to signify an SELinux context exists on the file. This is
something new to coretutils in F11 (or F10) and forward.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> Jeff Kittle wrote:
>> Has anyone noticed that the ls command tacks on ‘.’ Character at the end
>> of each permission string , example:
>
> It is to signify an SELinux context exists on the file. This is
> something new to coretutils in F11 (or F10) and forward.

Is the old behaviour still available or is this now default?
Previously there was a "-Z" option that would list it..

Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Kwan Lowe wrote:
> Is the old behaviour still available or is this now default?
> Previously there was a "-Z" option that would list it..

The -Z flag displays the full context, not the '.' hint.

I believe you can generate your own formatted output to workaround it.
Sure, not intuitive, but possible. You can alias "ll" to your custom
format output.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:

> I believe you can generate your own formatted output to workaround it.
> Sure, not intuitive, but possible. You can alias "ll" to your custom
> format output.

Might do that...

I was interested because of the OP about the new behaviour breaking
some scripts. In one company I'd worked I had some complaints about
some perl scripts that had failed to work after an OpenSSH update.
"Eh?" I thought... Turns out that their script was counting characters
in the ls output and grabbing the file size. Something changed in the
output at one point (I think it was a change from a 5 char username to
a 6 char username (like admin to webadm) and a bunch of scripts broke.

Yeah, I know...

Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 PM
"Jeff Kittle"

Thanks Michael I was starting to suspect it had something to do with SELinux

Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 7 April 2010 21:55, Kwan Lowe <kwan@digitalhermit.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe you can generate your own formatted output to workaround it.
>> Sure, not intuitive, but possible. You can alias "ll" to your custom
>> format output.
>
> *Might do that...
>
> I was interested because of the OP about the new behaviour breaking
> some scripts. *In one company I'd worked I had some complaints about
> some perl scripts that had failed to work after an OpenSSH update.
> "Eh?" I thought... Turns out that their script was counting characters
> in the ls output and grabbing the file size. Something changed in the
> output at one point (I think it was a change from a 5 char username to
> a 6 char username (like admin to webadm) and a bunch of scripts broke.
>
> Yeah, I know...

FWIW, I'm not convinced that this behaviour breaks or should break
anything. The reason I say that is because in the position where there
can now be a ".", I have for many years seen occurrences of "+" - and
I've never heard of that being a problem before (and I used to use
WinSCP at the time).

>From "info coreutils 'ls invocation'":

Following the file mode bits is a single character that specifies
whether an alternate access method such as an access control list
applies to the file. When the character following the file mode
bits is a space, there is no alternate access method. When it is
a printing character, then there is such a method.

GNU `ls' uses a `.' character to indicate a file with an SELinux
security context, but no other alternate access method.

A file with any other combination of alternate access methods is
marked with a `+' character.

--
Sam

Old 04-07-2010, 10:02 PM
jack craig

ls -l looks like the old format on my fc11...

-rwxr-xr-x 1 jackc jackc 10413 2010-02-23 13:35 build_chnum

-rwxr-xr-x 1 jackc jackc 18056 2010-04-05 14:54 build_ev

-rwxr-xr-x 1 jackc jackc* 4314 2010-03-15 17:47 build_hx

-rwxr-xr-x 1 jackc jackc** 265 2010-04-05 12:41 chk

-rwxr-xr-x 1 jackc jackc** 837 2010-04-05 15:35 chk_key_date

Has anyone noticed that the ls command tacks on ‘.’ Character at the end
of each permission string , example:

It is to signify an SELinux context exists on the file. This is
something new to coretutils in F11 (or F10) and forward.

Is the old behaviour still available or is this now default?
Previously there was a "-Z" option that would list it..

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer
831.461.7100 x120
www.extraview.com

Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Michael Cronenworth

jack craig wrote:
> ls -l looks like the old format on my fc11...

grep SELINUX= /etc/selinux/config

Old 04-07-2010, 10:35 PM
jack craig

Busted!!!

# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:

SELINUX=disabled