Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Gianluca Sforna

Default Printer IDs in Fedora 13: your help is neeeded!

Hi all,
as you probably know, Fedora 13 has a new automatic printer driver
installation feature[1], but for the automatic printer driver
installation to work properly we need your Device IDs! Many IDs are
missing for current printers, and some existing IDs are incorrect.

Everyone can help fix this by following the instructions in the test
day page.[2] You don't need a Rawhide installation to provide useful
feedback, just a nightly live image[3] will do. Alternatively, you can
also determine missing IDs with your own installation of Fedora 11 and
12 by following the steps outlined in Tim Waugh's blog[4].

Thanks in advance for contributing

Gianluca

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/AutomaticPrintDriverInstallation
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-25_Printing
[3] http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/
[4] http://cyberelk.net/tim/2010/04/01/printer-device-ids-wanted/

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianlucasforna

Old 04-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 00:18:00 +0200,
Gianluca Sforna <giallu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Everyone can help fix this by following the instructions in the test
> day page.[2] You don't need a Rawhide installation to provide useful
> feedback, just a nightly live image[3] will do. Alternatively, you can
> also determine missing IDs with your own installation of Fedora 11 and
> 12 by following the steps outlined in Tim Waugh's blog[4].

If we get insufficient data does that mean the printer doesn't report a
device id?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Gianluca Sforna

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:48 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

> If we get insufficient data does that mean the printer doesn't report a
> device id?

it does not correctly report device-id or device-make-and-model. In
this case you may want to report the output of:

# lpinfo -l -v

Thanks for trying!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Chris Spike

On 04/07/2010 12:18 AM, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
[..]
> Alternatively, you can
> also determine missing IDs with your own installation of Fedora 11 and
> 12 by following the steps outlined in Tim Waugh's blog[4].

su -c ./check-device-ids.py
Examining connected devices
Installing relevant drivers using system service
Ignoring exception: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
com.redhat.PrinterDriversInstaller was not provided by any .service files
Fetching driver list
├── hp (HP Color LaserJet 2605dn): MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP Color
LaserJet 2605dn;
│ (No drivers)
└── usb (HP Color LaserJet 2605dn): MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP Color
LaserJet 2605dn;CMD:PJL,PML,POSTSCRIPT,PCLXL,PCL;
(No drivers)
Skipping socket://192.168.100.25, insufficient data
Skipping serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200, insufficient data
Skipping parallel:/dev/lp0, insufficient data

Should I bugzilla? Include 'lpinfo -l -v'? Against which component?

Regards, Chris

Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Tim Waugh

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 17:11 +0200, Chris Spike wrote:
> Fetching driver list
> ├── hp (HP Color LaserJet 2605dn): MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP Color
> LaserJet 2605dn;
> │ (No drivers)
> └── usb (HP Color LaserJet 2605dn): MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP Color
> LaserJet 2605dn;CMD:PJL,PML,POSTSCRIPT,PCLXL,PCL;
> (No drivers)

So this is saying that, based on how the printer identifies itself, no
specific drivers can be found for it.

But if you are using it successfully with some driver specifically for
that printer (and not e.g. Generic PostScript), we probably want to add
that printer to the list of printers declared to be supported by
whichever driver you are using.

My guess is you're using 'hpcups' as the driver (see 'Make and Model' in
system-config-printer properties for it). The hpcups driver is part of
the hpijs package, which comes from the hplip source RPM.

> Should I bugzilla?

Yes please, against hplip.

> Include 'lpinfo -l -v'?

Not required here, as we can already see the Device ID:
MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP Color LaserJet
2605dn;CMD:PJL,PML,POSTSCRIPT,PCLXL,PCL;

Thanks,
Tim.
*/

Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Andrew Parker

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Gianluca Sforna <giallu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> as you probably know, Fedora 13 has a new automatic printer driver
> installation feature[1], but for the automatic printer driver
> installation to work properly we need your Device IDs! Many IDs are
> missing for current printers, and some existing IDs are incorrect.
>
> Everyone can help fix this by following the instructions in the test
> day page.[2] You don't need a Rawhide installation to provide useful
> feedback, just a nightly live image[3] will do. Alternatively, you can
> also determine missing IDs with your own installation of Fedora 11 and
> 12 by following the steps outlined in Tim Waugh's blog[4].
>
> Thanks in advance for contributing
>
> Gianluca
>

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/AutomaticPrintDriverInstallation
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-25_Printing
> [3] http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/
> [4] http://cyberelk.net/tim/2010/04/01/printer-device-ids-wanted/

I followed [4], and got the following:

Examining connected devices
No Device IDs available.

In [1] its states "Start with the relevant driver package for your
printer *not* installed and the printer disconnected. " specifically
for USB printers. I use two network printers and their drivers are
installed. Does this matter?

"lpinfo -l -v" does not list the printers I use, but does list others,
but with no device IDs:

Device: uri = socket://172.26.33.191
class = network
info = HP LaserJet 4050 Series
make-and-model = HP LaserJet 4050 Series
device-id =
location =
Device: uri = socket://172.26.33.192
class = network
info = Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction System
make-and-model = Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction System
device-id =
location = machine location not set

What would you like me to do?

Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Andrew Parker

Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Alan Cox

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 00:18:00 +0200
Gianluca Sforna <giallu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> as you probably know, Fedora 13 has a new automatic printer driver
> installation feature[1], but for the automatic printer driver
> installation to work properly we need your Device IDs! Many IDs are
> missing for current printers, and some existing IDs are incorrect.

And bugs filed about them have been ignored for two years, autoclosed and
deleted.

You could start by blacklisting the USB device with

idVendor=0b4d, idProduct=1115

which cups likes to leap upon despite the fact its a bladed cutting
machine not a printer and doesn't work via the Linux printing layer (in
fact as its a cutting machine the existing behaviour is plain dangerous)

Alan

Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Alan Cox

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 00:18:00 +0200

Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Roger

On 04/07/2010 08:18 AM, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> Hi all,
> as you probably know, Fedora 13 has a new automatic printer driver
> installation feature[1], but for the automatic printer driver
> installation to work properly we need your Device IDs! Many IDs are
> missing for current printers, and some existing IDs are incorrect.
>
> Everyone can help fix this by following the instructions in the test
> day page.[2] You don't need a Rawhide installation to provide useful
> feedback, just a nightly live image[3] will do. Alternatively, you can
> also determine missing IDs with your own installation of Fedora 11 and
> 12 by following the steps outlined in Tim Waugh's blog[4].
>
> Thanks in advance for contributing
>
> Gianluca
>

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/AutomaticPrintDriverInstallation
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-25_Printing
> [3] http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/
> [4] http://cyberelk.net/tim/2010/04/01/printer-device-ids-wanted/

I have Fuji Xerox C2100 color laser and running sudo python
check-device-ids.py as directed [2] and [4] produces no output.
Roger