Old 04-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Roger

Default Printer IDs in Fedora 13: your help is neeeded!

On 04/07/2010 08:18 AM, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> Hi all,
> as you probably know, Fedora 13 has a new automatic printer driver
> installation feature[1], but for the automatic printer driver
> installation to work properly we need your Device IDs! Many IDs are
> missing for current printers, and some existing IDs are incorrect.
>
> Everyone can help fix this by following the instructions in the test
> day page.[2] You don't need a Rawhide installation to provide useful
> feedback, just a nightly live image[3] will do. Alternatively, you can
> also determine missing IDs with your own installation of Fedora 11 and
> 12 by following the steps outlined in Tim Waugh's blog[4].
>
> Thanks in advance for contributing
>
> Gianluca
>

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/AutomaticPrintDriverInstallation
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-25_Printing
> [3] http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/
> [4] http://cyberelk.net/tim/2010/04/01/printer-device-ids-wanted/

I run Fedora 11, have Fuji Xerox C2100 color laser and running sudo
python check-device-ids.py as directed [2] and [4] produces no output.
Roger

Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Tim Waugh

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 13:07 -0400, Andrew Parker wrote:
> I followed [4], and got the following:
>
> Examining connected devices
> No Device IDs available.

That means there are no reliable Device IDs to be had here. This can
happen if the only way the printer can be detected is with DNS-SD. I
don't have a good solution for that yet.

> In [1] its states "Start with the relevant driver package for your
> printer *not* installed and the printer disconnected. " specifically
> for USB printers. I use two network printers and their drivers are
> installed. Does this matter?

Not in this case, no, as there were no Device IDs to match against.
There are two things:

1. Testing whether the right drivers declare support for the attached
devices. For this, we collect any Device IDs available from the
attached printers, then look up which installed drivers declare support
for them. We then take a look through trying to match up any drivers
that look like they *ought* to declare support for the printers but
don't (it's a sort of fuzzy match).

2. Testing the automatic installation of those drivers. For this, you
have to start with the drivers uninstalled, obviously.

Device IDs are akin to USB IDs: they are definitive for that particular
model. Device IDs are not specific to any particular connection type
(e.g. USB, parallel port, etc).

Printer drivers do declare "make and model" strings, but these are
human-readable and cannot be matched against anywhere near as reliably
as Device IDs can.

> "lpinfo -l -v" does not list the printers I use, but does list others,
> but with no device IDs:
>
> Device: uri = socket://172.26.33.191
> class = network
> info = HP LaserJet 4050 Series
> make-and-model = HP LaserJet 4050 Series
> device-id =
> location =
> Device: uri = socket://172.26.33.192
> class = network
> info = Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction System
> make-and-model = Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction System
> device-id =
> location = machine location not set
>
> What would you like me to do?

It might be that these printers support SNMP. You could try running the
snmp backend for them directly, like:

/usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp 172.26.33.191

Ideally the 'lpinfo' command would have collected that information
already -- the reason it doesn't is that our default firewall drops
(non-broadcast) queries are fine.

Tim.
*/

Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Tim Waugh

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 20:25 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> And bugs filed about them have been ignored for two years, autoclosed and
> deleted.

Bugs with Device IDs for drivers we ship? I do try to track them quite
carefully actually. I apologise if any have slipped through the cracks.
Do you have examples?

> You could start by blacklisting the USB device with
> idVendor=0b4d, idProduct=1115

Yes, noted. I saw your bug report about it, and I have been working on
a more generic way of blacklisting devices and whitelisting drivers per
device.

Tim.
*/

Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Dale Dellutri

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:

It might be that these printers support SNMP. *You could try running the

snmp backend for them directly, like:

/usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp 172.26.33.191
*
I tried this on my network-connected printers.* The only one that provided a
device ID is my new Samsung SCX-6555N, which is an office copier/printer/scanner.

$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp <ip>
network RAW "Samsung SCX-6x55 Series" "Samsung SCX-6x55 Series" "MFG:Samsung;CMD:PCL5E,PCL6,POSTSCRIPT,PDF,FWV,EXT ;MDL:SCX-6x55 Series;CLS:PRINTER;MODE:PCL;" ""

The other printers don't give a useful answer.

network socket://<ip> "hp LaserJet 4200" "hp LaserJet 4200" "" ""
network socket://<ip> "HP LaserJet 2200" "HP LaserJet 2200" "" ""

network socket://<ip> "HP LaserJet 4100 MFP" "HP LaserJet 4100 MFP" "" ""
network socket://<ip> "HP Color LaserJet 3800" "HP Color LaserJet 3800" "" ""

I hope the first one helps.

--
Dale Dellutri

Old 04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Andrew Parker

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:
>> "lpinfo -l -v" does not list the printers I use, but does list others,
>> but with no device IDs:
>>
>> Device: uri = socket://172.26.33.191
>> * * * * class = network
>> * * * * info = HP LaserJet 4050 Series
>> * * * * make-and-model = HP LaserJet 4050 Series
>> * * * * device-id =
>> * * * * location =
>> Device: uri = socket://172.26.33.192
>> * * * * class = network
>> * * * * info = Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction System
>> * * * * make-and-model = Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction System
>> * * * * device-id =
>> * * * * location = machine location not set
>>
>> What would you like me to do?
>
> It might be that these printers support SNMP. *You could try running the
> snmp backend for them directly, like:
>
> /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp 172.26.33.191
>
> Ideally the 'lpinfo' command would have collected that information
> already -- the reason it doesn't is that our default firewall drops
> (non-broadcast) queries are fine.

Not much from this, but I've run it from F12. Do you need results
from the live cd?

# /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp 172.26.33.191
network socket://172.26.33.191 "HP LaserJet 4050 Series " "HP LaserJet
4050 Series " "" ""
# /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp 172.26.33.192
network socket://172.26.33.192 "Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction
System" "Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction System" "" "machine
location not set"

The nw printers that I do use also don't yield much info.

I have the firewall disabled, btw so it shouldn't have affected my
previous response.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Jim

Does anyone have this Printer working in Fedora 13 and does it have a
Cups print driver for it ?

I had to go to the Samsung site and download their Linux driver to get
it to work in Fedora 12

It is also a Network printer connected to a Router and it works quite
well, printing, scanning.

Manuf ID# 04E8:342A
Device: uri = usb://Samsung/CLX-3170%20Series Laser
class = direct
info = Samsung CLX-3170 Series
make-and-model = Samsung CLX-3170 Series
device-id = MFG:Samsung;CMD:SPLC,FAX,FWV,EXT;MDL:CLX-3170
Series;CLS:PRINTER;MODE:FAX,

Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Tim Waugh

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 13:07 -0400, Andrew Parker wrote:
> Not much from this, but I've run it from F12. Do you need results
> from the live cd?

No, the only extra thing you can test using the F-13 alpha/beta Live DVD
is the automatic installation of printer drivers -- but that only works
with printers whose Device IDs are known to the driver packages.

> # /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp 172.26.33.191
> network socket://172.26.33.191 "HP LaserJet 4050 Series " "HP LaserJet
> 4050 Series " "" ""
> # /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp 172.26.33.192
> network socket://172.26.33.192 "Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction
> System" "Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction System" "" "machine
> location not set"
>
> The nw printers that I do use also don't yield much info.

OK, thanks for trying anyway.

Thanks,
Tim.
*/