Old 04-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Philip Rhoades

Default Audio with CRON works - not AT?

People,

When I put:

40 21 * * * root /usr/bin/mplayer -ao alsa
/home/phil/audio/vincent_van_gogh.mp3

in /etc/crontab - it works but if use "at" for any time and enter:

/usr/bin/mplayer -ao alsa /home/phil/audio/vincent_van_gogh.mp3

- at the designated time I hear a click as though something happens but
no audio clip.

Anyone know why "at" doesn't behave?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au

Old 04-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Rick Stevens

On 04/06/2010 07:52 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> When I put:
>
> 40 21 * * * root /usr/bin/mplayer -ao alsa
> /home/phil/audio/vincent_van_gogh.mp3
>
> in /etc/crontab - it works but if use "at" for any time and enter:
>
> /usr/bin/mplayer -ao alsa /home/phil/audio/vincent_van_gogh.mp3
>
> - at the designated time I hear a click as though something happens but
> no audio clip.
>
> Anyone know why "at" doesn't behave?

I'm sure it does. When you use /etc/crontab, you're saying "use root's
environment when running this command". You weren't clear, but if
you're using "at" as any user other than root, then it'll execute with
_that_ user's environment, not root's. This might cause access issues
to the audio hardware, pulseaudio may not be running if you're not
logged into the system via the GUI, etc., etc. There's lots of stuff
going on there.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Philip Rhoades

Rick,

On 2010-04-07 02:50, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 04/06/2010 07:52 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> People,
>>
>> When I put:
>>
>> 40 21 * * * root /usr/bin/mplayer -ao alsa
>> /home/phil/audio/vincent_van_gogh.mp3
>>
>> in /etc/crontab - it works but if use "at" for any time and enter:
>>
>> /usr/bin/mplayer -ao alsa /home/phil/audio/vincent_van_gogh.mp3
>>
>> - at the designated time I hear a click as though something happens but
>> no audio clip.
>>
>> Anyone know why "at" doesn't behave?
>
> I'm sure it does. When you use /etc/crontab, you're saying "use root's
> environment when running this command". You weren't clear, but if
> you're using "at" as any user other than root, then it'll execute with
> _that_ user's environment, not root's. This might cause access issues
> to the audio hardware, pulseaudio may not be running if you're not
> logged into the system via the GUI, etc., etc. There's lots of stuff
> going on there.

Thanks for your reply! I did try running the "at" command as root as
well but it didn't make any difference. I always have PA uninstalled
and just use ALSA.

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au

Old 04-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Bill Davidsen

Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> When I put:
>
> 40 21 * * * root /usr/bin/mplayer -ao alsa
> /home/phil/audio/vincent_van_gogh.mp3
>
> in /etc/crontab - it works but if use "at" for any time and enter:
>
> /usr/bin/mplayer -ao alsa /home/phil/audio/vincent_van_gogh.mp3
>
> - at the designated time I hear a click as though something happens but
> no audio clip.
>
> Anyone know why "at" doesn't behave?

The environment is not the same, that's likely to be related. But I use 'at' for
an alarm clock, so if I get busy my system plays a nice reminder to get me
moving, and that works just fine.

So it's peculiar to your system, or environment. And if you use alsa without
pulse you are definitely exploring some lightly checked interactions.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>