Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 PM
George R Goffe

Default Strange msgs from restore;

Howdy,

I'm trying to copy my boot partition (and others) to a new drive with dump/restore pipes.

(cd /rb.boot********* ; /sbin/dump -f - /dev/sda1 | /sbin/restore -rf -)

I get a bunch of messages I've never seen before; here's a sample:

/sbin/restore: ./grub/ffs_stage1_5: EA set security.selinux:system_ubject_r:boot_t:s0 failed: Operation not supported

I'm running with Selinux turned off now but it came out of the box (install DVD) with* Selinux turned on.

Could someone help me with this problem please?

Regards,

George...

"It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't so." Wil Rogers

Old 04-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Aioanei Rares

I'm trying to copy my boot partition (and others) to a new drive with
dump/restore pipes.

(cd /rb.boot********* ; /sbin/dump -f - /dev/sda1 | /sbin/restore -rf -)

I get a bunch of messages I've never seen before; here's a sample:

/sbin/restore: ./grub/ffs_stage1_5: EA set
security.selinux:system_ubject_r:boot_t:s0 failed: Operation not
supported

I'm running with Selinux turned off now but it came out of the box
(install DVD) with* Selinux turned on.

So if you do, say, 'cat /etc/selinux/config | grep disabled', it will
actually return anything?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Sam Varshavchik

George R Goffe writes:

Howdy,

I'm trying to copy my boot partition (and others) to a new drive with
dump/restore pipes.

(cd /rb.boot********* ; /sbin/dump -f - /dev/sda1 | /sbin/restore -rf -)

I get a bunch of messages I've never seen before; here's a sample:

/sbin/restore: ./grub/ffs_stage1_5: EA set
security.selinux:system_ubject_r:boot_t:s0 failed: Operation not
supported

I'm running with Selinux turned off now but it came out of the box
(install DVD) with* Selinux turned on.

Could someone help me with this problem please?

The destination partition does not appear to have extended attribute support
enabled.

Use tune2fs to enable the user_xattr option.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:46 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 04 April 2010, George R Goffe wrote:
>Howdy,
>
>I'm trying to copy my boot partition (and others) to a new drive with
> dump/restore pipes.
>
>(cd /rb.boot ; /sbin/dump -f - /dev/sda1 | /sbin/restore -rf -)
>
>I get a bunch of messages I've never seen before; here's a sample:
>
>/sbin/restore: ./grub/ffs_stage1_5: EA set
> security.selinux:system_ubject_r:boot_t:s0 failed: Operation not
> supported
>
>I'm running with Selinux turned off now but it came out of the box
> (install DVD) with Selinux turned on.
>
>Could someone help me with this problem please?
>
>Regards,
>
>George...

Dump/restore is a very poor tool to use unless the drives are identical.
Partition, label and format the new drive like you want it, then use rsync
on a partition by partition basis, bearing in mind that you can src from a
directory to a partition if you would like to split a busy partition into 2
on the new drive.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"If you can, help others. If you can't, at least don't hurt others."
-- the Dalai Lama

Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 AM
John Austin

On Sun, 2010-04-04 at 22:46 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 04 April 2010, George R Goffe wrote:
> >Howdy,
> >
> >I'm trying to copy my boot partition (and others) to a new drive with
> > dump/restore pipes.
> >
> >(cd /rb.boot ; /sbin/dump -f - /dev/sda1 | /sbin/restore -rf -)
> >
> >I get a bunch of messages I've never seen before; here's a sample:
> >
> >/sbin/restore: ./grub/ffs_stage1_5: EA set
> > security.selinux:system_ubject_r:boot_t:s0 failed: Operation not
> > supported
> >
> >I'm running with Selinux turned off now but it came out of the box
> > (install DVD) with Selinux turned on.
> >
> >Could someone help me with this problem please?
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >George...
>
> Dump/restore is a very poor tool to use unless the drives are identical.
> Partition, label and format the new drive like you want it, then use rsync
> on a partition by partition basis, bearing in mind that you can src from a
> directory to a partition if you would like to split a busy partition into 2
> on the new drive.
>
> >"It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't so."
> > Wil Rogers
> >

> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>
> "If you can, help others. If you can't, at least don't hurt others."
> -- the Dalai Lama

Hi

Standard F12 dump/restore has some problems which have been solved
in latest CVS
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2964667&group_id=1306&atid=101306

This now works successfully at about 1GB/minute on my machine
dump 0f - /dev/sda7 | (cd /mnt/out; restore -rf -)
---------------------------------
I have also found fsarchiver to be very useful
Neither source nor destination are mounted in this example
Simple ext3 root partition source reinstalled on ext4 partition

The compressed root partition is 5.7GB when df shows about 15GB
13mins for save and 13min restore to same physical disk

fsarchiver -o -j4 -z 6 savefs /tmp/fsarchive_sda7.fsa /dev/sda7
fsarchiver restfs /tmp/fsarchive_sda7.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda2,mkfs=ext4

Edit /etc/fstab, /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ... (in this case for ext4)

John

Old 04-05-2010, 01:03 PM
"T. Horsnell"

John Austin wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-04-04 at 22:46 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 04 April 2010, George R Goffe wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to copy my boot partition (and others) to a new drive with
>>> dump/restore pipes.
>>>
>>> (cd /rb.boot ; /sbin/dump -f - /dev/sda1 | /sbin/restore -rf -)
>>>
>>> I get a bunch of messages I've never seen before; here's a sample:
>>>
>>> /sbin/restore: ./grub/ffs_stage1_5: EA set
>>> security.selinux:system_ubject_r:boot_t:s0 failed: Operation not
>>> supported
>>>
>>> I'm running with Selinux turned off now but it came out of the box
>>> (install DVD) with Selinux turned on.
>>>
>>> Could someone help me with this problem please?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> George...
>> Dump/restore is a very poor tool to use unless the drives are identical.
>> Partition, label and format the new drive like you want it, then use rsync
>> on a partition by partition basis, bearing in mind that you can src from a
>> directory to a partition if you would like to split a busy partition into 2
>> on the new drive.
>>
>>> "It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't so."
>>> Wil Rogers
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>>
>> "If you can, help others. If you can't, at least don't hurt others."
>> -- the Dalai Lama
>
> Hi
>
> Standard F12 dump/restore has some problems which have been solved
> in latest CVS
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2964667&group_id=1306&atid=101306
>
> This now works successfully at about 1GB/minute on my machine
> dump 0f - /dev/sda7 | (cd /mnt/out; restore -rf -)
> ---------------------------------
> I have also found fsarchiver to be very useful
> Neither source nor destination are mounted in this example
> Simple ext3 root partition source reinstalled on ext4 partition
>
> The compressed root partition is 5.7GB when df shows about 15GB
> 13mins for save and 13min restore to same physical disk
>
> fsarchiver -o -j4 -z 6 savefs /tmp/fsarchive_sda7.fsa /dev/sda7
> fsarchiver restfs /tmp/fsarchive_sda7.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda2,mkfs=ext4
>
> Edit /etc/fstab, /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ... (in this case for ext4)
>
> John

I too had similar problems. I emailed Stelian Pop (the maintainer) on 29 March
asking him whether he planned a new release of dump/restore in the near future
which would incorporate these fixes. He replied that he would probably do one in
the next few days unless some other problems showed up. Fingers crossed...

Cheers,
Terry

Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Dave Mitchell

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 10:46:59PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Dump/restore is a very poor tool to use unless the drives are identical.

Huh?

--
All wight. I will give you one more chance. This time, I want to hear
no Wubens. No Weginalds. No Wudolf the wed-nosed weindeers.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Rick Stevens

On 04/06/2010 02:50 AM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 10:46:59PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Dump/restore is a very poor tool to use unless the drives are identical.
>
> Huh?

Yeah, huh? Dump/restore is filesystem-oriented. It doesn't give a
tinker's cuss what the underlying storage is. Gene, are you thinking
"dd", not "dump"?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:20 PM
George R Goffe

Howdy,

Thanks to all who responded, these responses are DEFINITELY appreciated.

I tried everything suggested with no change in behavior. I would like to try the "new" version of dump/restore but am unable to locate the code. I tried using the rawhide repo and installing dump but that didn't work either.

Any thoughts/hints/tips/suggestions would be welcome.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 PM
John Austin

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 11:20 -0700, George R Goffe wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Thanks to all who responded, these responses are DEFINITELY
> appreciated.
>
> I tried everything suggested with no change in behavior. I would like
> to try the "new" version of dump/restore but am unable to locate the
> code. I tried using the rawhide repo and installing dump but that
> didn't work either.
>
> Any thoughts/hints/tips/suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> George...
>

> "It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't
> so." Wil Rogers

Hi George

Did you get my two emails replicated below ?

John

################################################## #####
Hi George

This is what I did to install the latest dump/restore on F12
when communicating with Stelian the dump/restore developer

The full story is in the bugzilla
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2964667&group_id=1306&atid=101306

My understanding is that the later versions of e2fsprogs mean that
dump/restore will support ext4. I am not absolutely certain
that it was necessary to install the later e2fsprogs.

BIG words of warning
1. e2fsprogs is used everywhere !!!! replacing it
may destroy your system !!!!

2. e2fsprogs-1.41.11.tar.gz is now available. I did the tests with the
older version but now have used the latest

3. The one that really caught me out was blkid !!!!
e2fsprogs-1.41.11 installs an old version of blkid the "standard" one on
F12 is contained in util-linux-ng.
Copy the util-linux-ng version of blkid and restore after installing
e2fsprogs

This caused me great grief when using grub2 - I couldn't boot!
grub2 uses blkid -o udev to determine the boot device - this option is
not available in the old version of blkid

4. Take care with selinux - see the bugzilla

Down loaded e2fsprogs-1.41.10.tar.gz; Dated 10_Feb_2010
mkdir build; cd build
../configure;make;make check;make install All seemed clean

Down loaded dump/restore from http://dump.sourceforge.net/
cvs -dserver:anonymous@dump.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/dump login
cvs -z3 -dserver:anonymous@dump.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/dump co
dump
./configure; make;
make install gave errors needed to hack "all"Makefiles changing
MANOWNER from man to root - must be a better way !! (Add man to
/etc/passwd?)
All seemed clean

[root@hawaii ~]# dump --help
dump: invalid option -- '-'
dump 0.4b42 (using libext2fs 1.41.10 of 10-Feb-2009) ######### I assume
it means 2010 !!!!!
My dump/restore was then clean

I just have a feeling that fsarchiver is a later tool and it seems
straight forward to use.
There is a warning that it is still "experimental" but I have had not
had any problems (that I know about !)
http://www.fsarchiver.org/Main_Page

Any feedback from your contact with Gene would be interesting

Good luck

John
Correction !!

It is F12 dracut that uses the blkid command when building
the initramfs... used by grub during boot
and hence both grub and grub2 are affected !! be careful !!

(I am learning/changing over to ext4 and grub2 on my machines)

John