FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Clemens Eisserer
 
Default VirtualBox crashs system when starting VM

Hi,

Whenever I tried VirtualBox (even back in Fedora 11) it completly
locked up my machine as soon as powering up a VM.
I didn't care a lot, but now I am in trouble because I need it now and
VMware-Player refuses to install (waits forever in the
install-scripts) and VirtualBox crashes :/
I am now on Fedora-12 + updates testing, and I am using the VirtualBox
packages + kernel modules provided by Fedora/yum.

Any ideas what the problem could be?


In syslog I found this:
> vboxdrv: Warning: 2.6.31+ kernel detected. Most likely the hardware performance
> vboxdrv: counter framework which can generate NMIs is active. You have to prevent
> vboxdrv: the usage of hardware performance counters by
> vboxdrv: echo 2 > /proc/sys/kernel/perf_counter_paranoid

However at least 2.6.32.10 doesn't seem to provide perf_counter_paranoid

Thank you in advance, Clemens
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Jerry Feldman
 
Default VirtualBox crashs system when starting VM

On 04/04/2010 08:45 AM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whenever I tried VirtualBox (even back in Fedora 11) it completly
> locked up my machine as soon as powering up a VM.
> I didn't care a lot, but now I am in trouble because I need it now and
> VMware-Player refuses to install (waits forever in the
> install-scripts) and VirtualBox crashes :/
> I am now on Fedora-12 + updates testing, and I am using the VirtualBox
> packages + kernel modules provided by Fedora/yum.
>
> Any ideas what the problem could be?
>
>
> In syslog I found this:
>
>> vboxdrv: Warning: 2.6.31+ kernel detected. Most likely the hardware performance
>> vboxdrv: counter framework which can generate NMIs is active. You have to prevent
>> vboxdrv: the usage of hardware performance counters by
>> vboxdrv: echo 2 > /proc/sys/kernel/perf_counter_paranoid
>>
> However at least 2.6.32.10 doesn't seem to provide perf_counter_paranoid
>
> Thank you in advance, Clemens
>
Are you using Virtualbox or Virtualbox OSE. I am using Virtualbox 3.1.6
downloaded from Sun with Windows XP with the 2.6.32.10 kernel. I've had
no problems with Virtualbox.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846
PGP Key fingerprint: 3D1B 8377 A3C0 A5F2 ECBB CA3B 4607 4319 537C 5846


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Clemens Eisserer
 
Default VirtualBox crashs system when starting VM

Hi,

> Are you using Virtualbox or Virtualbox OSE. I am using Virtualbox 3.1.6
> downloaded from Sun with Windows XP with the 2.6.32.10 kernel. I've had
> no problems with Virtualbox.

I am using the version distributed by Fedora (so I guess its OSE)
along with the precompiled kernel-modules (I am using the default
kernel too) - thats why I am suprised it causes so much pain :/

No matter what VM I start (reactos / haiku), as soon as the dialog
appears telling me howto get keyboard/mouse-focus away from the VM my
whole computer locks up :/

- Clemens
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default VirtualBox crashs system when starting VM

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 21:44:48 +0200
Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> No matter what VM I start (reactos / haiku), as soon as the dialog
> appears telling me howto get keyboard/mouse-focus away from the VM my
> whole computer locks up :/

Not quite as solidly reproducible as that, but running virt-viewer
on my system at work with a radeon HD card makes it lock up
quite frequently:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=541387

I find it is much more stable if I run the radeonhd driver
and disable just about all video acceleration. Can virtualbox
start a VM with a command line tool and no display active?
(like using virsh start with the fedora virt tools).

It might be interesting to see if it is the display causing
the problem rather than the virtual machine itself...
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Patrick Bartek
 
Default VirtualBox crashs system when starting VM

--- On Sun, 4/4/10, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Are you using Virtualbox or Virtualbox OSE. I am using
> Virtualbox 3.1.6
> > downloaded from Sun with Windows XP with the 2.6.32.10
> kernel. I've had
> > no problems with Virtualbox.
>
> I am using the version distributed by Fedora (so I guess
> its OSE)
> along with the precompiled kernel-modules (I am using the
> default
> kernel too) - thats why I am suprised it causes so much
> pain :/
>
> No matter what VM I start (reactos / haiku), as soon as the
> dialog
> appears telling me howto get keyboard/mouse-focus away from
> the VM my
> whole computer locks up :/

Is this your first attempt at virtualization or have you installed kvm, etc. previously? VirtualBox's kernel modules and kvm's (and as far as I know "other" VM software) are incompatible if loaded together. Do an 'lsmod'? If both vbox and kvm are listed, you'll need to unload kvm to get vbox modules (there should be three) to work properly.

The vbox modules must match the kernel they are running under exactly. So, when you upgrade to a new kernel, VB's modules must also be updated. Have they been?

Also, VirtualBox has its own rpm repository, which I use. Although, previously, I used the OSE version through the Fedora ones, but USB is disabled in that version, and I need USB. So, I went to the "full" binary version when I installed F12. It's still free for personal use.

Have you installed kernel-devel and dkms? Do you have qt 4.4.0 and sdl 1.2.7 or higher installed?

Be sure to thoroughly read the manual and other docs. Just doing a 'yum install' is not sufficient to get VirtualBox running properly.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation

This link might also help. At the bottom of the page. About RPM-based distros. How to install VB's repo, etc.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads



B
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org