Old 04-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Michael Miles

Default Chrome

Well, I could never play youtube or fox news videos with firefox and
shockwave.
So I installed Chrome and youtube yes fox news no

I disabled wrapper and still no go

Any thoughts

I have been looking at the firefox emails but I can't seem to get it
going properly

Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 PM
mike cloaked

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Michael Miles <mmamiga6@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I could never play youtube or fox news videos with firefox and
> shockwave.
> So I installed Chrome and youtube yes fox news no
>
> I disabled wrapper and still no go
>
> Any thoughts

I don't know what/how you have installed but I run chrome (not
chromium) and foxnews video works fine! Flash works out of the box
with it (yes I know chrome is proprietary), and I had to install java
the correct way, but it just works now. Install was via yum after
setting up the google repo and then yum install google-chrome-beta

The method to get java working was essentially:
Download the jre from
http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=java.com:80

Choose 32 or 64 bit version as appropriate

Execute the java install bin file within the directory where you want
to store the java stuff
Make any links necessary:

Now check for the location of jre1.6.0_17/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

Now
mkdir /opt/google/chrome/plugins

cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins

ln -s /path/to/jre1.6.0_17/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so .

On 64 bit may need to reference lib64 in the jre instead of lib

Restart Chrome and check that java works. This works for me.

The only other additions in chrome I use is to have Adblock and the
RSS extension - and with this setup Foxnews video plays fine in F12.

Hope this helps - it would be really nice if chromium could be made to
work properly with flash and java but I never got it to do so. If
anyone has a "recipe" for installing it and getting it to work with
both flash and java then I would be happy to switch from chrome to
chromium.

--
mike c

Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 PM
András Csányi

Dear All,

Has anybody experienced that the Chrome browser is able to eat all of
memory? I have this issue on both Linux and Win 7 as well. I assume
flash could be the main issue. However, facebook, gmail and g+ eat
more than 100 MByte memory.

It's annoying...

--
- -
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --

Old 12-04-2011, 07:34 PM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 17:36 +0100, András Csányi wrote:
> Has anybody experienced that the Chrome browser is able to eat all of
> memory? I have this issue on both Linux and Win 7 as well. I assume
> flash could be the main issue. However, facebook, gmail and g+ eat
> more than 100 MByte memory.

Chrome/Chromium is a memory-hungry app.

> It's annoying...

Don't use Chrome.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Robert Spangler

Hello,

I have been using chrome for a while now on other systems. I am having an
issue finding Chrome for Centos. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thnx.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux
The adventure of a lifetime.

Linux User #296285
Get Counted
http://linuxcounter.net/

Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Keith Keller

On 2012-09-19, Robert Spangler <mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> I have been using chrome for a while now on other systems. I am having an
> issue finding Chrome for Centos. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/?platform=linux&hl=en

Choose one of the Fedora repositories.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 PM
SilverTip257

You want probably Chromium.
A quick Google search for 'centos chromium' yields [0] [2] [3].

I don't run Xorg on my CentOS boxes (servers), so I have not tried the
above packages, etc. If you are running Fedora or decide to, I can
vouch for the Chromium packages [1] being stable. I primarily use
Firefox, but also use Chromium on my system a few times a day.

[0] http://www.linux-powered.com/~ryoji.kamei/ChromiumCentOS5.xhtml
[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chromium
[2] http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/04/how-to-install-chromium-google-chrome-on-fedora-centos/
[3] http://minimallinux.blogspot.com/2012/08/centos-6rhel-install-chromium-browser.html

---~~.~~---
Mike
// SilverTip257 //

Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 PM
SilverTip257

ugh

* You probably want the Chromium browser.

---~~.~~---
Mike
// SilverTip257 //

Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Mark LaPierre

On 09/19/2012 05:45 PM, Robert Spangler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using chrome for a while now on other systems. I am having an
> issue finding Chrome for Centos. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thnx.

www.google.com/chrome

Download the appropriate Fedora rpm.

--
_
°v°

Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Steven Stern

On 10/10/2012 07:01 AM, Temlakos wrote:
// snip

> I'm looking forward to an official Google Chrome package for Fedora. All
> I knew is that the Chrome pack I got was the worst-behaved application I
> ever tried to work with. But that was when I was still slogging with F14
> long past its EOL
>
> Will you provide Google Chrome for x86_64? I have found that x86_64 is
> the best way I know to keep this Pentium Dual Core machine running at a
> reasonable speed.
>
> Temlakos

I've been running Chrome from the official Google repo for a long time
now. It's stable, updated frequently, and worked on my prior 32 bit
system as well as my new 64 bit one.

Installing the rpm from http://google.com/chrome installs the necessary
.repo files to keep Chrome up to date.

--