Old 03-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Margaret Doll

Default Looking for a monitor driver

We are trying to attach a Dell E2210H monitor to a Dell X260 Optiplex
which is running 2.6.10-1.771_FC2.

I have found the drivers for Windows but not for Fedora. Where can I
access monitor drivers for Fedora?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:34 PM
mike cloaked

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll@brown.edu> wrote:
> We are trying to attach a Dell E2210H monitor to a Dell X260 Optiplex
> which is running 2.6.10-1.771_FC2.
>
> I have found the drivers for Windows but not for Fedora. *Where can I
> access monitor drivers for Fedora?

With respect FC2 is very old indeed and you would be better off
installing an up to date version of Fedora which will likely have a
much better chance of driving your monitor - the current drivers will
be much more likely to work with your monitor directly from a more
recent install of Fedora.

Any reason you can't install F12?

--
mike c

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Markku Kolkka

Margaret Doll kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai, 30.
maaliskuuta 2010):
> I have found the drivers for Windows but not for Fedora.
> Where can I access monitor drivers for Fedora?

Nowhere. Monitor drivers don't exist. The .ini file for Windows
isn't a driver either, just a configuration file that contains
info about the sync frequencies supported by the monitor.

Normally the data about monitor properties is read directly from
the monitor through the DDC protocol. What problems are you
having with the monitor?

--
Markku Kolkka
markku.kolkka@iki.fi

Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 22:37:12 +0300,
Markku Kolkka <markkuk@tuubi.net> wrote:
> Margaret Doll kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai, 30.
> maaliskuuta 2010):
> > I have found the drivers for Windows but not for Fedora.
> > Where can I access monitor drivers for Fedora?
>
> Nowhere. Monitor drivers don't exist. The .ini file for Windows
> isn't a driver either, just a configuration file that contains
> info about the sync frequencies supported by the monitor.
>
> Normally the data about monitor properties is read directly from
> the monitor through the DDC protocol. What problems are you
> having with the monitor?

Sometimes the "drivers" include color profiles. (See:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ColorManagement )

For a really old version of Fedora you probably need to describe the
limits of the device in your xorg.conf file.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Margaret Doll

On Mar 30, 2010, at 3:34 PM, mike cloaked wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll@brown.edu
> > wrote:
>> We are trying to attach a Dell E2210H monitor to a Dell X260 Optiplex
>> which is running 2.6.10-1.771_FC2.
>>
>> I have found the drivers for Windows but not for Fedora. Where can I
>> access monitor drivers for Fedora?
>
> With respect FC2 is very old indeed and you would be better off
> installing an up to date version of Fedora which will likely have a
> much better chance of driving your monitor - the current drivers will
> be much more likely to work with your monitor directly from a more
> recent install of Fedora.
>
> Any reason you can't install F12?

> Nowhere. Monitor drivers don't exist. The .ini file for Windows
> isn't a driver either, just a configuration file that contains
> info about the sync frequencies supported by the monitor.
>
> Normally the data about monitor properties is read directly from
> the monitor through the DDC protocol. What problems are you
> having with the monitor?

I got the screen to work with the system by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf
changing the Horizontal rates, the size of the screen and the Modes
for the screen. Unfortunately the display does not fit the monitor's
size, too tall and not wide enough. I did play with the dimensions
of the screen.

There may not be drivers for the monitors, but the various systems
have a knowledge of a list of monitors. The E2210H Dell is not listed
on the F2 system. That would be a good reason for an upgrade. I will
see if I can pull the system offline for an upgrade.

I don't understand why the Mode entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not
seem to have any relationship to the Modes shown in the System/
Display gui. I coded in 1920x1080 in xorg.conf. The Display gui
shows 1024xsomething and 1280x960. Why?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 PM
jack craig

Personally, i am unclear why you put so much effort
into what

was already observed to be an ancient os version? are you* making grade

points for maintaining bitrot? :-P

you knock yourself out to fix such a small issues only to find may
others may lurk.

more current FC version will undoubted work better.

you might get a different set of problems, but at least with current sw,

others are currently fighting those issues so you might get more
helpful responses.

you are aware the entire Linux X world has been redone in recent years?

[...]

Software Engineer
831.461.7100 x120
www.extraview.com

Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 17:04:26 -0400,
Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll@brown.edu> wrote:

> I don't understand why the Mode entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not
> seem to have any relationship to the Modes shown in the System/
> Display gui. I coded in 1920x1080 in xorg.conf. The Display gui
> shows 1024xsomething and 1280x960. Why?

Probably you didn't make a 1920x1080 mode line for your monitor and modes
with that high of a resolution are not built by default.

If upgrading is doable, you really want to move to a supported version of
Fedora (or perhaps something like centos). If your monitor does correct
EDID then you won't have to worry about it.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Steven I Usdansky