Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 PM
John Austin

Default Dump/Restore Errors

Hi

I have been following recent threads about the best way to clone/backup
disks.

"Risks of backing up live mounted filesystems using dump(8)"

I have just tested dump/restore using a System Rescue CD
using dump 0.4b42

The source /dev/sda7 is a fully working updated F12 / partition
(including /boot)

The destination is a similar partition on the same disk /dev/sda9

mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda9
mkdir /mnt/out
mount /dev/sda9 /mnt/out
dump 0f - /dev/sda7 | (cd /mnt/out; restore -rf -)
40GB dump/restore took 46 minutes

I received 9 errors of the type

resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
error in EA block 1
magic = 0

Google tells me that dump saves as is
and that restore is finding an error in an Attribute Block
(maybe/sometimes associated with NFS)

I have not been able to find definitive answers to some obvious
questions.

1. Are these fatal for the file concerned hence invalidating the clone/backup?
I am unsure how to interpret the error message

2. Why are they present in the first place?

3. How can I find which files they are caused by?

4. Can I correct the errors, do I need to?

Grateful for any help

Regards
John

Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 AM
John Austin

Yes I had thought along these lines as I originally
had the source partition mounted.

The case shown below was with the source unmounted
and hence I believe the errors are present in source partition.

I have seen this suggestion but I don't know enough
about SELinux to feel confident about using it.

Disable selinux; reboot and then
find . -exec setfattr -h -x security.selinux '{}' ;

John

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, John Austin wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:06:11 +0000
> > From: John Austin <ja@jaa.org.uk>
> > To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> > Subject: Dump/Restore Errors
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have been following recent threads about the best way to clone/backup
> > disks.
> >
> > "Risks of backing up live mounted filesystems using dump(8)"
> >
> > I have just tested dump/restore using a System Rescue CD
> > using dump 0.4b42
> >
> > The source /dev/sda7 is a fully working updated F12 / partition
> > (including /boot)
> >
> > The destination is a similar partition on the same disk /dev/sda9
> >
> > mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda9
> > mkdir /mnt/out
> > mount /dev/sda9 /mnt/out
> > dump 0f - /dev/sda7 | (cd /mnt/out; restore -rf -)
> > 40GB dump/restore took 46 minutes
> >
> > I received 9 errors of the type
> >
> > resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
> > error in EA block 1
> > magic = 0
> >
> > Google tells me that dump saves as is
> > and that restore is finding an error in an Attribute Block
> > (maybe/sometimes associated with NFS)
> >
> > I have not been able to find definitive answers to some obvious
> > questions.
> >
> > 1. Are these fatal for the file concerned hence invalidating the clone/backup?
> > I am unsure how to interpret the error message
> >
> > 2. Why are they present in the first place?
> >
> > 3. How can I find which files they are caused by?
> >
> > 4. Can I correct the errors, do I need to?
> >
> > Grateful for any help
> >
> > Regards
> > John

>On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 18:56 -0600, Paul Thompson wrote:
>I believe these generally fall on files which were deleted between when
> the index was created and the file is reached in the backup.

Hi Paul

Yes I had thought along those lines as I originally
had the source partition mounted.

However I repeated the dump/restore and the case shown above was
with the source unmounted and hence I believe the errors are
present in the source partition/file system.

I assume something is wrong in the SElinux extended attributes?

I have seen this suggestion for "processing" the source file system
before executing the dump/restore.

However I don't know enough about SELinux to feel confident about using it.

Disable selinux; reboot and then
find . -exec setfattr -h -x security.selinux '{}' ;

Is it a good idea to zap all SELinux attributes in the first place?
a. When the partition/file system is / for the operating system
b. When the partition/file system is mounted from a rescue CD boot?

John

Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 AM
John Austin

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, John Austin wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:06:11 +0000
> > From: John Austin <ja@jaa.org.uk>
> > To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> > Subject: Dump/Restore Errors
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have been following recent threads about the best way to clone/backup
> > disks.
> >
> > "Risks of backing up live mounted filesystems using dump(8)"
> >
> > I have just tested dump/restore using a System Rescue CD
> > using dump 0.4b42
> >
> > The source /dev/sda7 is a fully working updated F12 / partition
> > (including /boot)
> >
> > The destination is a similar partition on the same disk /dev/sda9
> >
> > mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda9
> > mkdir /mnt/out
> > mount /dev/sda9 /mnt/out
> > dump 0f - /dev/sda7 | (cd /mnt/out; restore -rf -)
> > 40GB dump/restore took 46 minutes
> >
> > I received 9 errors of the type
> >
> > resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
> > error in EA block 1
> > magic = 0
> >
> > Google tells me that dump saves as is
> > and that restore is finding an error in an Attribute Block
> > (maybe/sometimes associated with NFS)
> >
> > I have not been able to find definitive answers to some obvious
> > questions.
> >
> > 1. Are these fatal for the file concerned hence invalidating the clone/backup?
> > I am unsure how to interpret the error message
> >
> > 2. Why are they present in the first place?
> >
> > 3. How can I find which files they are caused by?
> >
> > 4. Can I correct the errors, do I need to?
> >
> > Grateful for any help
> >
> > Regards
> > John

>On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 18:56 -0600, Paul Thompson wrote:
>I believe these generally fall on files which were deleted between when
> the index was created and the file is reached in the backup.

Second attempt at posting !!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 03/04/2010 04:39 AM, John Austin wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, John Austin wrote:
>>

>>> Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:06:11 +0000
>>> From: John Austin<ja@jaa.org.uk>
>>> To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
>>> Subject: Dump/Restore Errors
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have been following recent threads about the best way to clone/backup
>>> disks.
>>>
>>> "Risks of backing up live mounted filesystems using dump(8)"
>>>
>>> I have just tested dump/restore using a System Rescue CD
>>> using dump 0.4b42
>>>
>>> The source /dev/sda7 is a fully working updated F12 / partition
>>> (including /boot)
>>>
>>> The destination is a similar partition on the same disk /dev/sda9
>>>
>>> mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda9
>>> mkdir /mnt/out
>>> mount /dev/sda9 /mnt/out
>>> dump 0f - /dev/sda7 | (cd /mnt/out; restore -rf -)
>>> 40GB dump/restore took 46 minutes
>>>
>>> I received 9 errors of the type
>>>
>>> resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
>>> error in EA block 1
>>> magic = 0
>>>
>>> Google tells me that dump saves as is
>>> and that restore is finding an error in an Attribute Block
>>> (maybe/sometimes associated with NFS)
>>>
>>> I have not been able to find definitive answers to some obvious
>>> questions.
>>>
>>> 1. Are these fatal for the file concerned hence invalidating the clone/backup?
>>> I am unsure how to interpret the error message
>>>
>>> 2. Why are they present in the first place?
>>>
>>> 3. How can I find which files they are caused by?
>>>
>>> 4. Can I correct the errors, do I need to?
>>>
>>> Grateful for any help
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> John
>>>

>> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 18:56 -0600, Paul Thompson wrote:
>> I believe these generally fall on files which were deleted between when
>> the index was created and the file is reached in the backup.
>>

> Second attempt at posting !!
>
> Hi Paul
>
> Yes I had thought along those lines as I originally
> had the source partition mounted.
>
> However I repeated the dump/restore and the case shown above was
> with the source unmounted and hence I believe the errors are
> present in the source partition/file system.
>
> I assume something is wrong in the SElinux extended attributes?
>
> I have seen this suggestion for "processing" the source file system
> before executing the dump/restore.
>
> However I don't know enough about SELinux to feel confident about using it.
>
> Disable selinux; reboot and then
> find . -exec setfattr -h -x security.selinux '{}' ;
>
> Is it a good idea to zap all SELinux attributes in the first place?
> a. When the partition/file system is / for the operating system
> b. When the partition/file system is mounted from a rescue CD boot?
>
> John

SELinux attributes on a disabled system should not cause any problems.
If an extented attribute is causeing these tools to break, then the
tools have a bug. Please open a bugzilla.

Having to manually remove all attributes should not be necessary.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:05 PM
John Austin

From: Paul Thompson <pt@new.rr.com>
To: John Austin <ja@jaa.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Dump/Restore Errors
Date: 03/04/2010 07:17:19 PM
I think I deleted all the logs I generated because this had bothered me
enough that I was going to file a bugzilla on it. Maybe what you're
noticing is subltly different from what I had happen but I remember being
surprised that no one would have remarked on it previously.

I duplicated it on systems from FC9 through 12 and could not convince
myself it was anything other than some debugging print statement
accidentally left "on" in the restore command.

I recall suspecting a selinux component to it, but when I actually traced
the error to which file was being backed up at the time, it wound up being
bogus stuff every time. FIFO files, temporary mozilla files, etc.

I did some combination of dump -v, strace in a logged screen session and a
restore -d and strace in a logged screen session.

Hi Paul and Daniel

I have now investigated further and found the files that are causing the
problem

In each case the problem seems to be "an extra block"

File header, ino 1048703; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks

This doesn't help me much as I don't know what it really means

All the problem files but one do not seem too important to me

but /var/lib/rpm/Providename might well be !

Six are associated with kde

It is still not clear to me whether

1. the original file system has the 9 errors and dump/restore detects
them

2. the file system is correct and dump/restore incorrectly indicates an
error (and possibly corrupts the restored file system)

3. the error messages are miss-leading and nothing to do with SELinux

Do you think I should submit a bugzilla ?
Against dump/restore ?

Are there any other tests I can usefully make ?

John

fuerte ~ 3# cat error_files
extract file ./root/.mozilla/firefox/6lanhsnd.default/Cache/_CACHE_003_
File header, ino 1048703
File continuation header, ino 1048703
reading EA data for inode 1048703
File header, ino 1048703; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./root/.mozilla/firefox/6lanhsnd.default/Cache/_CACHE_003_)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/lib/rpm/Providename
File header, ino 1327114
File continuation header, ino 1327114
File continuation header, ino 1327114
reading EA data for inode 1327114
File header, ino 1327114; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/lib/rpm/Providename)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-root/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index
File header, ino 1376288
File continuation header, ino 1376288
File continuation header, ino 1376288
reading EA data for inode 1376288
File header, ino 1376288; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-root/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-root/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data
File header, ino 1376305
File continuation header, ino 1376305
File continuation header, ino 1376305
reading EA data for inode 1376305
File header, ino 1376305; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-root/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.updated
File header, ino 1376307
reading EA data for inode 1376307
File header, ino 1376307; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.updated)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index
File header, ino 1376347
File continuation header, ino 1376347
File continuation header, ino 1376347
reading EA data for inode 1376347
File header, ino 1376347; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data
File header, ino 1376351
File continuation header, ino 1376351
File continuation header, ino 1376351
reading EA data for inode 1376351
File header, ino 1376351; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-ja/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index
File header, ino 1630260
File continuation header, ino 1630260
File continuation header, ino 1630260
reading EA data for inode 1630260
File header, ino 1630260; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-ja/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-ja/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data
File header, ino 1630268
File continuation header, ino 1630268
File continuation header, ino 1630268
reading EA data for inode 1630268
File header, ino 1630268; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-ja/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0

Old 03-06-2010, 09:59 AM
John Austin

Hi

I have submitted a buzilla to sourceforge re dump/restore

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2964667&group_id=1306&atid=101306

John

Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM
John Austin

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 10:59 +0000, John Austin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have submitted a buzilla to sourceforge re dump/restore
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2964667&group_id=1306&atid=101306
>
> John

This problem has now been fixed in CVS!

Date: 2010-03-19 13:53
"Ok, found it: it is a genuine bug in dump, the "header" block for the
extended attributes is not correctly filled with the needed
information."

Date: 2010-03-22 15:40
"Thanks for the feedback, the fixes have now been commited in CVS."

John